Powering led strip

wekaeqr

Newly Enlightened
Hi

New here and new to led strips. Can anyone give me some info about a strip that I bought but still in the post. It is a 5630 5metre strip rated at 60w. It comes with a 12v 5a power supply. Initially I just want to use 50cm of it. So would the supplied power supply be too much for a 50cm section as it would only require 5w (60w÷10 right?)? Do I need to use one that's around 0.5a (12vx0.5)? Does too much amps kill the leds or do they only draw what they need?

Thanks

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
those strips have limiting resistors to limit the current at whatever voltage they are rated for, just cut the strip where it's indicated and you'll be fine.
keep in mind that most of these strips are way over-rated and they typically have limited life at their rated voltage so don't be surprised if you have dimming/color shifting. however, you can use a lower voltage to gain some extra life out of them.

kevinthefro

Newly Enlightened
They only draw what they need. The 5 amp rating is the maximum output of the power supply but the shorter section will draw less.

Last edited:

Myledy

Newly Enlightened
1. Constant voltage LED drivers (12VDC or 24VDC) are designed to maintain a Constant Voltage during operation regardless of the current variations between 0-100%, The current is usually regulated by resistors that have been wired in series with the LEDs, the current increase as the strip length increase. So it's definitely ok to drive 50cm strip with the 12v 5a driver.

2. Power efficiency of most led driver is only 80%. For example: 100w led driver, the max load shouldn't be exceed 80w to avoid overloading the driver. If you want to light up the whole 5m strip, you have to use a minimum 80w led driver. the current 12v 5a driver is not enough.

ssanasisredna

Enlightened
2. Power efficiency of most led driver is only 80%. For example: 100w led driver, the max load shouldn't be exceed 80w to avoid overloading the driver. If you want to light up the whole 5m strip, you have to use a minimum 80w led driver. the current 12v 5a driver is not enough.

This is completely inaccurate. The wattage rating of LED drivers is the output wattage, not the input wattage. LED drivers are specifically designed to run at their maximum rated power. Efficiency never comes into the equation of what output power you can draw, only the rating of the driver. The only time efficiency will ever come to mind is if you are concerned about efficiency of a system and/or how much heat the driver generates in a closed in space.