Trimming a 5mm LED to 3mm, for LS20, possible?

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now I had the chance to test the Yuji 5mm 3200K/45deg LEDs in an A2.

In terms of quality of light and versatility the combination of these LEDs and the incand bulb is hands down the best thing I have tried so far. I would happily make this my sole flashlight if it was not too big.

What I want to have is an LS20 with these LEDs and some warm high cri power LED for the main beam. Which is impossible, and Don specifically explained that there was not enough space for 5mm LEDs in an LS20.

And Daniel from Yuji told me that they had no plans for 3mm LEDs let alone they just discontinued their 5mm line.

So the question is, if it is possible to trim a 5mm LED so it essentially becomes a 3mm LED and still emits the light?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
It may be possible but could be a lot of hard work involved. A 3mm LED I believe has a smaller emitter and it shorter in total height too which means cutting off 1mm all the way around and reducing the height may require you to completely redo the optical "lens" of the LED to focus the light usefully. It also may be a 3mm LED has a small spacing between leads too and if the LED sits flat on the board in the light it could be another problem requiring you to drill new holes on the board to accommodate the modified 5mm LED. You may not like it but you may be better suited to just buy a 3mm LED even though it may not be the wonderful tint you desire.

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
First of all, I think I've come as close to a an acceptable tint by using a Lee filter over the stock LEDs. Also I understand that the existing LE would be modified. And finally, I think that I would be happy even if there is no lens at all, just a flat matte business end on each of the LEDs. These Yujis produce a very wide beam anyway.