Led strip in aquarium help

wekaeqr

Newly Enlightened
Hi

I'm going to try and install some sections of led strips for my fish tank.
Having never done this before I need some info before I go ahead.

1. It's a 5630 strip that I will mount onto an aluminium bar. The strip does have adhesive on the back but not sure how long it will hold. So what other glue can I use that will fix it permanently?

2. The strip will be mounted side by side in either 3 or 4 sections of about 50cm each. Is there any pros or cons in wiring them end to end or wire them individually from the power supply?

3. How to waterproof the ends or the end to end connections?

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) i use 3m 2x tape for these applications. make sure orig adhesive is removed and both surfaces are very clean.
2) Wire them all from the PSU on one end, otherwise the last strip will get lower power then the 1st due to the losses of each strip. (in short runs it isn't as noticeable but over time you'll see the 1st LEDs fail faster and the last remain almost like new)
3) yes, you'll need to waterproof any and all open contacts exposed to ANY wet area otherwise moisture WILL invade the connections and corrode rapidly. i use clear silicone for this.

wekaeqr

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your input, with the silicone, i have some household tubes, they will be fine to use?

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
should be just fine, yes. i personally use a crystal clear version for sealing optics but not needed. just make sure to let it cure long enough for it to fully gas off and don't get any on the leds themselves.

Myledy

Newly Enlightened
1. You can keep adhesive on the back, no need to add other glue.

2. Are the strip 8mm or 10mm wide and non-waterproof? If yes there'll be connectors available, just like below picture.
led-strip-lights-connector-2

3. Use silicone glue.

Latest posts