Looking for a 4AA flashlight

carnage

Enlightened
I'm looking for a 4AA flashlight. Lumens estimate about 1000+ and color about 5000k. I'm planning on using Eneloops. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

carnage

Enlightened
I was leaning to the Thrunite but with other ones out there Nitecore, Lumintop, Thorfire, I'm not sure what to go with.

I want something that is durable, and built to last and bright.

proceed5

Enlightened
+4 Thrunite TN4A XPL NW
(you see, there are 4 persons who have recommended the TN4A to you). '

I have the Thrunite TN4A-HI (XPL-HI) - and this thing is plenty plenty bright! , reliable and durable.

The other you should look at is perhaps:
Manker MK41 -- this one also accepts 4x Li-Ion 14500 cells.

Good luck with your purchase

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both the Nitecore EA31 and the EA45S. I like both. The EA45S is more comfortable in the hand, but otherwise there is not a lot of difference between the two. Not being as long, the EA41 in my opinion would work better on one's belt especially if one would be getting up and down a lot.

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
+5 Thrunite TN4A. Available in XPL or XPL Hi. Cool or NW.
Mine seems very durable.
They have virtually nil parasitic drain.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might as well...+6! The Tn4a was the last aa light I purchased, and I barely touch the others since I got it. The other 6 are the e41, ea41, ea4, gx30a3, and 2 others I can't think of. So my fav is the gx30a3 but that's not a 4aa light. I use the Tn4a at work the most. It's very comfortable and a nice neutral light. Works the same as the tn30 and tn36.

SoCalTiger

Newly Enlightened
Which one is better the XPL OR XPL Hi? What is the difference between them?

The difference will be throw. The XPL HI will have more throw. The HI are just factory dedomed. Personally, unless you need I thrower I would get the XPL given the choices.

proceed5

Enlightened
Which one is better the XPL OR XPL Hi? What is the difference between them?

TN4A-XPL (1150 lumen) has shorter throw range, bigger center hotspot and produces a very balance beam profile with big bright spills.

While the TN4A-XPL-HI (1000 lumen) produces >400 meters throw, very appealing center hotspot and the spill is big & plenty bright and useful.

the Thrunite TN4A-HI is, from my experiences using it, can match or beat my Nitecore MH27UV (an 18650 light) for throw and I tell you what, the 4 AA batteries in the TN4A has better endurance than my MH27UV (both on Turbo and I just let it drain).
Each time i walk with the TN4A, i will be greeted with a big smile in me face seeing an appealing hotspot with big big spills.
and we are sure you will enjoy the Thrunite TN4A.

dmattaponi

Enlightened
I have both the regular and HI versions of the TN4A. I'd recommend the regular model for general purpose as it has the better generally more useful for everyday purposes beam profile. The HI version only if you are looking for max throw. Not to mention the regular TN4A throws pretty well itself.

Last edited:

dmattaponi

Enlightened
Yes, both are available in cool white or neutral white. I have both in both versions. I prefer the neutral white but the cool white is fine too. The HI versions​ will have a more defined and more intensely bright hotspot...better for pinpointing an object at distance. The regular versions with their more.diffused hotspot and spill are generally more useful for lighting a broader area IMO, which I find more useful for most of my purposes for using a flashlight. Just a reminder though that even the regular TN4A is marketed as a "compact thrower" flashlight, and it does have ample throw for most tasks.

I like the TN4A so much that I have bought 6 of them. #2 HI versions and #4 regular (because I find the regular to be a better general purpose flashlight). I gave onne.to my wife. The others are kept stashed around the house, and in vehicles.

Last edited:

carnage

Enlightened
With both version, is there a greenish tint to the beam? I have a Archer 2a v3 cw and it has a greenish tint when bouncing the beam against a white wall.

SoCalTiger

Newly Enlightened
I have no experience with the Thrunite but I like Thorfire TK4A. 5700K color temp. Same form factor.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ire-TK4A-(XP-L-4xAA)-(Pictures-Beamshots-etc-)

In the link you posted about the Thorfire. Does the beam has a greenish tint to it?

Sorry, I just saw this.

IIRC, when I measured the ThorFire TK4A, it had a green shift of 20 points in Lightroom when compared to the Daylight 5500K/+10 Preset. The range of lights that I've measured is a shift of between 0-20 which I'll call "normal".

It was not bothersome to me in real life but if you are sensitive to green-shift and notice it in other lights, then you'd probably notice it on this.

Of course, I do not have access to the TN4A to measure it for comparison to say which is better or worse WRT green shift.