Revolvers

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking to buy my first revolver for ccw, have it narrowed down to an LCR (copper cylinder) .38spl, S&W Airweight 442, 642, 638.

Any thoughts? 442 seems ideal but it has a carbon steel cylinder, LCR with copper cylinder just seems weird, not sure how reliable it is. 642 looks great. If I prefer black

Interested if any you guys have experience or thoughts.

(Mods, apologies if this is the wrong section for this post)

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had an EN plated 442 for many, many years. No mods other than a trigger job and CT grips. Very light & 100% reliable.

From what I understand the LCR doesn't have a solid copper cylinder, it's a plating or finish applied to stainless steel. Not sure what the point of a copper plated SS cylinder is other than appearance. But I think the weight of a pure copper revolver cylinder would be detrimental to timing and trigger pull.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Airweight .32 H&R. My only regret is not getting a hammerless version. If I recall, there weren't any produced yet when I got it. Otherwise, it is a great set up.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my LCR in 38-sp but I don't think it has any Copper in/on it either?
It was inexpensive and has a better trigger to me than the competition and mine has been just spot on flawless really.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any issues with rusting on the 442 cylinder?

Not with EN plating.

75a5d49b-e577-4866-829a-5bdae8b0aaa3.jpg

Last edited:

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
M640 J frame in stainless I'm quite familiar with, no experience with air weights. The fixed front sights aren't easy to pick up in low light, that would probably be my biggest gripe. Some models are now offered with big dot or hi-viz front sights, I'd consider those options if available (don't like laser grips).

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
That looks like the 542, which incidentally is the one I think I'm settling on. Found a deal for $340 with free shipping.
It's a 90's era 442 with satin Electroless Nickel plating. Unfortunately this 442 model option is no longer available. Also had a 70 series Colt Gold Cup with EN plating and both show little wear despite much use.

ven

Flashaholic
Not jealous........not jealous.............not jealous ............nope not working I AM! That is a beauty CG:D

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I carried steel or copper plated, they would corrode rapidly. Beyond that I like the LCR over the others but not by much. Fixed sights, no laser for me. Mine has been the most accurate snub nosed revolver I've used.