woodworking tool question

turbodog

Flashaholic
I ran across the following woodworking tool. It cuts 3/4" tenons into wood up to about 3" in width. More importantly, it will cut a square shoulder tenon.

It's mounted to a 3600 rpm motor, which turns pretty darn fast for such a dangerous tool, but that's another issue.

It looks VERY old. The cutters are basically metal cutters like a metalworking lathe might use. They are adjustable for wear.

Where can a get a modern equivalent? Where can I get one just like it?

q690iyn.jpg

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
This looks pretty much like a mutant franken-router,home brewed and mounted sideways on a bench?

Router and Router table will do the same job me thinks.

turbodog

Flashaholic
This looks pretty much like a mutant franken-router,home brewed and mounted sideways on a bench?

Router and Router table will do the same job me thinks.

How would you cut a 3/4 tenon 1.5 long on a router? Would really like to know!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The things we used to get away with. Man-awe-man.

A modern router table, a router of course and some accessories can perform miracles once you know how.

I used a board C clamped to a high chair with a router bolted (not nailed like that photo) as a plane-r using sliding rails (via more clamps) to turn 8" x 12" rough cut oak and maple into solid wood skateboard decks. At the end of the project the high chair folded up, the clamps were hung from a rafter nail in a chain and the table/rail boards stood neatly in a corner. Router stores neatly on a shelf in case with room for a few bits.

Local box stores have pretty good routers with plunger features and a wide selection of bits.

IMG_20171108_185840.jpg

#3 of 10 made.
When I was single I made the rig with the intention of making a rocking chair to grow old in. Someone suggested making skateboards decks with some scrap wood at my work, so 10 were made.
Met Mrs. Fixer and the tools have been put away ever since.

Last edited:
The things we used to get away with. Man-awe-man.

A modern router table, a router of course and some accessories can perform miracles once you know how.

I used a board C clamped to a high chair with a router bolted (not nailed like that photo) as a plane-r using sliding rails (via more clamps) to turn 8" x 12" rough cut oak and maple into solid wood skateboard decks. At the end of the project the high chair folded up, the clamps were hung from a rafter nail in a chain and the table/rail boards stood neatly in a corner. Router stores neatly on a shelf in case with room for a few bits.

Local box stores have pretty good routers with plunger features and a wide selection of bits.

VvKwBKj.jpg

#3 of 10 made.
When I was single I made the rig with the intention of making a rocking chair to grow old in. Someone suggested making skateboards decks with some scrap wood at my work, so 10 were made.
Met Mrs. Fixer and the tools have been put away ever since.

Dude! That picture was seriously making me dizzy. :wtf:

~ Cg :laughing:

turbodog

Flashaholic
Thanks for the replies... don't think they will work for my purposes. I need to cut tenons on the end of dowels of various (and mostly nonstandard sizes), accurate to within 1/100".

I am currently using this:
https://www.rusticwoodworking.com/e-z-90.html

I had tried the 'pencil sharpener' type device. Did not work well. Tended to wander. And did not cut square shoulders.

However, the idea of cutting with a router sounds good. I've just got an unusual situation. I cut tenons on 1) nonstandard size wood and 2) sometimes wood that is curved.