Reccomendations for best all-around flashlight under $200

Dave3

Newly Enlightened
Hi Everyone,

I was a member here years ago but I think my account is lost to time, I guess the lights I purchased were good enough that I haven't felt the need to upgrade - till now.

I've never owned a higher end flashlight, all of mine has been in the $50-60 range but they have been quite good, they mostly still work apart from one which the tail switch has gone wonky.

Anyways, I'd like to buy my first really nice flashlight, been doing some reasearch and the Fenix PD35 Tactical seems to be my top pick right now but I know amny people here have experience with tons of lights so I wanted to get some opinions.

The flashlight will mostly be used for camping, hiking, around the house and not really an EDC light so it doesn't need to be overly small but at the same time I don't want anything too bulky either.

I'd like to stick around the $100 range if possible but am willing to go up to about $200 if it's worth it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Johnnyh

Enlightened
Not sure if you researched these or not...I use my Elzetta ZFL-M60 2-cell around the house-garage every day, it's been through hell and back. I see them on once in a while for around $125 on that jungle site. Must be new old stock...don't know. Does great on a Keeppower 16650 if you like rechargeable. Also in your price range are Malkoffs. Either one has lifetime warranty and excellent customer service. Just an Idea. I have both and they are definitely solid.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only lights I have been willing to spend $100 or more on are Malkoffs. If you want high output take a look at the XML MD4 Hound Dog or Hound Dog 18650. The MD2 with your pick of M61 drop-ins and a high/low ring is another good choice for a solid reliable utility light if your happy with modest output numbers. I have plenty of multi-mode lights but the more lights I accumulate , the more I appreciate single level or simple low/high operation.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to take a look at Nitecore's Concept 1($65)...1800 Lumen Turbo mode, one of the smallest 18650 formats around, easy access to moonlight from off, easy access to Turbo at anytime.
For a very practical but tiny backup light, the Manker E02 looks promising...

Price update: Banggood has the Nitecore Concept 1 on sale for a big discount per their thread.

Last edited:

Dave3

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, thank you for the great suggestions.

That Nitecore Concept 1 is sticking out to me, great price and really nice features.

The Malkoffs looks fantastic but they are really pushing the budget, I'm from Canada so many put me at well over $200

The Elzetta looks like a nice light too, definitely worth considering.

the MK34 and M43 look like great lights but a bit too bulky for what I need, when I'm camping I like a light I can throw in my pocket.

RollerBoySE

Enlightened
the MK34 and M43 look like great lights but a bit too bulky for what I need, when I'm camping I like a light I can throw in my pocket.

They both are smaller in reality than you imagine and do fit in normal pockets. Of course bigger than single 18650 lights, but it's nice to have the extra resources of triple or quad 18650.

Dave3

Newly Enlightened
They both are smaller in reality than you imagine and do fit in normal pockets. Of course bigger than single 18650 lights, but it's nice to have the extra resources of triple or quad 18650.

I'm sure you're right, they just have an odd look to them which is probably what's throwing me, I'd really have to hold one. The E14 II looks pretty nice though.

One light came to my mind as an awesome all-around: Zebralight SC600 III HI.
It is $89. Make sure you buy cells from Zebra too. They are the best 18650s I have used. and reasonable price.

And info about this light
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?403410-Zebralight-SC600w-Mk-III-HI-Pocket-Thrower

I think this is quickly becoming my #1 choice, sadly I'm having a tough time finding one for sale here in Canada.

camelight

Newly Enlightened
I'm sure you're right, they just have an odd look to them which is probably what's throwing me, I'd really have to hold one. The E14 II looks pretty nice though.

I think this is quickly becoming my #1 choice, sadly I'm having a tough time finding one for sale here in Canada.
The sc600 mk iii hi is amzing light!
Great ui with so many modes and great combination of flood and throw
You can order from zebralight website directly thats what i did
Also if shipping is such a problem for you check armytek it's a Canadian company

Dave3

Newly Enlightened
I'll definitely check them out, the problem with ordering from outside of Canada is you run the risk of getting hit with duties at the border which really inflate the price.

Have you see the Mark III Plus with the XHP50? They label it as "floody" I wonder how it compares to the Hi.

Johnnyh

Enlightened
I also forgot to mention PflexPro. Right in your budget. Google it. Not sure about duty fees to Canada but the guy (Randy) is very easy to talk to and has vast knowledge. Makes rugged lights out of Convoy or Solarforce hosts.

Dave3

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for all the suggestions guys, I'm really liking the looks of the Zebralight SC600 hi but there doesn't seem to be any Canadian retailers that I can find.

Zak

Enlightened
The Concept 1 has very high standby drain and a cool white tint. Don't get sucked in by the promise of lots of lumens; anything with that many lumens in that size package is going to thermal throttle after a minute or so, and 50% more lumens doesn't look anywhere near as much brighter as you'd expect. I'd definitely look at Zebralight's options, of which the SC600 HI is very well-liked.

Dave3

Newly Enlightened
The Concept 1 has very high standby drain and a cool white tint. Don't get sucked in by the promise of lots of lumens; anything with that many lumens in that size package is going to thermal throttle after a minute or so, and 50% more lumens doesn't look anywhere near as much brighter as you'd expect. I'd definitely look at Zebralight's options, of which the SC600 HI is very well-liked.

I was thinking the same thing about the Concept 1, that much output in such a small light must produce a lot of heat very quickly. The SRT9 looks like a very nice option but can't find one in Canada.

I'm still thinking the SC600 is my best potion I just wish I could find it for sale here or on a Canadian online retailer. Have you see the SC600 Plus? Higher output but it's labeled as "Floody" so not sure if it would be a better choice.