Maglight refurbishing service?

Grakken

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know of a place that will take a maglight and clean/rebuild/refurbish it? Does Maglight industries do that? I have an older 6 cell ican with corroded insides and I can't even unscrew the retaining screw in the switch assembly. Or is it one of those things where it's just not worth it?

Ishango

Enlightened
It's completely up to you if you want to spend that kind of money. I don't know of any of these services, but you could always contact Maglite directly. Or perhaps there is someone on here that would like to help you out. Does it have any sentimental value?

irongate

Enlightened
Soak in vinegar first really good. Outside soap and water and a toothbrush. We have a mag light topic section here with a wealth of knowledge

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Maybe Liftd4R while chime in and share a tip or two. He has refurbished some bad off Maglites along the way.

I'll say this though, if parts are needed z-battery is a good source for new switches and such. I think he has had to destroy a switch assembly at some point and replaced it with a new one.

Last edited:

Alone In The Dark

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know of a place that will take a maglight and clean/rebuild/refurbish it? Does Maglight industries do that? I have an older 6 cell ican with corroded insides and I can't even unscrew the retaining screw in the switch assembly. Or is it one of those things where it's just not worth it?

Oh, it is definitely worth it. ;)

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
yea, defiantly not worth it, unless the light has some sentimental value, new 6d can be bought for 30-40 bucks

Grakken

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, it's a tough call, no real sentimental value, but they're such nice, hefty pieces, it seems a shame to just throw it away. I'm torn between spending time to get it up and running again and just buying a nice new one on amazon.
I pumped a lot of Liquid Wrench into the hole where the screw lies but after a day, still no luck. I may just get medieval on its rear end and drill out the recalcitrant switch assembly. I thought about soaking it in vinegar, maybe I'll do that first actually.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it was Duracell batteries that leaked and you can get some info off of them, they'll send a check to cover the cost of a new one

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, sorry I missed this thread, I've been super busy at work lately. I've never run into a Maglite I couldn't fix. That being said, ohh my gosh, they can certainly can take up a lot of time. I did a 2D 1980 light that was bent with a stuck battery and I had about 20 hours total into it.

Did you say the retaining ring is stuck in the front up by the switch? If so you're in for a ton of work if it's the aluminum style retaining ring. I've fixed them before but it's literally hours of dremelling.

At the end of the day the cost in parts is going to be the same price as a new light so unless it's super rare or as the other posters said it has some sentimental value to you it's probably not going to be worth it.

Do you know what the serial number is? I can give you an approximate date on the light and the rarity. If the serial number is below 100,000 or so or it's red, blue or silver, don't toss it!! It's rare!!!! If it has the retaining ring it's a no-letter serial from before 1992 and if it has the aluminum retaining ring it's before 1990.

Maglite did away with service centers 2 years ago so you're only choice is to send a light back to them now and pay postage both ways but since it has battery corrosion they won't touch it. I have done restorations but I'm not aware of anyone else doing them right now. I don't take payment though I just do it for other collectors for the cost of parts and good leads on rare lights. It takes me forever to do a light though because I have a huge queue of Kel-Lites and Maglites plus a puppy and work so I'm not exactly quick.

Grakken

Newly Enlightened
Ok, so if I understand you correctly, I believe this light has the aluminum retaining ring. I am attaching two pictures. The serial number is 50213822.
Yeah it was definitely corrosion so I guess Maglite won't do anything?

Here is the retaining ring, right?
B72d8Bc.jpg
[/IMG]

Here is the switch with the wrench that will not budge

4RucIFt.jpg
[/IMG]

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is the aluminum style retaining ring. The light is like from around 1985 and unless it has sentimental value to you it's not a rare light and it's probably going to be cheaper/easier to buy a new one.

Did you try using the actual Maglite tool to get it apart or just needle nose pliers? You may have marginally more success with the Maglite tool shown below but if it won't budge with needle nose pliers it's likely buggered up with alkaline. The tool is blue, in the middle and part # 112-000-001. Don't forget righty tighty, lefty loosey when turning.

PD7qUkP.jpg

If that doesn't work your only option is to dremel it out. Pretty much what I do is pick two spots directly opposite from each other and using a dremel I'll take the retaining ring down until I'm almost right to the threads. Then I'll us e a punch and bend and break the retaining ring out. It should look like below when done. It's a ton of effort though and you have to be super careful not to damage the threads when you're doing it.

VXffDvL.jpg

Once apart it's just a matter of soaking it in vinegar, while changing out the old vinegar for new vinegar every few days for a week. Maybe longer. Then trying to drive the batteries out of the light. Make sure you place the light on wood when you drive the batteries out so you don't mushroom the end.

Last edited:

Grakken

Newly Enlightened
Ok this is good info, thanks LifdTR4. Actually, I haven't tried that part yet and the batteries are already out. I was stuck with the retaining screw of the light assembly. It won't unscrew. I'm wondering if soaking it in vinegar will help.

SoCalTiger

Newly Enlightened
You can contact Maglite Industries at their HQ in Ontario, CA. However, they will most likely give you similar advice to replace it. They have a "trade-in" program where if you send them your old light, they will sell you a brand new one for 50% off MSRP. Please note, however, that I compared the Maglite "trade-in" price to Amazon and the difference was only about $5-10. I asked about the ML300LX (3 cell) and it was $37 (50% off $75 MSRP). On Amazon is it $42 so you are only saving $5.

So, if you are paying to ship the old one to them, you are probably already at a wash if not a loss compared to just buying from Amazon.

Grakken

Newly Enlightened
That's good to know about the trade-in program but then your math checks out too. It's funny, I was thinking about the same pathway to an ML300LX, so yeah, you're right, just a washout, not really worth it.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok this is good info, thanks LifdTR4. Actually, I haven't tried that part yet and the batteries are already out. I was stuck with the retaining screw of the light assembly. It won't unscrew. I'm wondering if soaking it in vinegar will help.

You got it! The soaking might help but it hasn't for me in the past. If you do soak it try to remove the plastic switch assembly first. There are many steel pieces in there which will corrode to high heaven after soaked in vinegar and they'll be ruined. If you loosen the allen head screw that goes through the switch button and remove the small hex head bolt that goes through the switch post and bulb housing the whole switch should slide out of the back of the light even if the retaining ring is in place. You'll need needle nos pliers to remove the allen head bolt from the bulb housing because a allen key won't get down in there between the barrel. Of course if there's a lot of corrosion or alkaline in the barrel that may not happen and you may end up breaking the switch or have it come out in pieces.

You're not near NJ or PA are ya? If so lemme know.

Grakken

Newly Enlightened
Hey LiftdT4R, actually I'm in Texas. But you know what? I think you could probably use this more than I and use it for parts for other builds or repairs if you're interested. I'll PM you.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey LiftdT4R, actually I'm in Texas. But you know what? I think you could probably use this more than I and use it for parts for other builds or repairs if you're interested. I'll PM you.

Awesome, thanks!! I just picked up an original Maglite service kit with the much nicer aluminum spanner tool. If it's an easy fix I'll ship it back to you on my work's dime. If not I'll add it to my stockpile of restoration lights.

5nYpRZh.jpg

1vGgci3.jpg

Last edited:

swampgator

Enlightened
I've refurbished a few Mags over the years.
Never a 6D but I have saved a few 2 & 3Cs and 3Ds.
I've got a 3D I'm working on now, off and on. Going to probably end up drilling out the switch assembly in its entirety. It's strictly for fun. I don't really need another 3D.
As others have said, if no sentimental value, toss it and buy a new one.
One the other hand, if it is sentimental (one of mine being Dad's last battery fed patrol light before the PD switched to rechargeables) or you have time and want a project, go for it!

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've refurbished a few Mags over the years.
Never a 6D but I have saved a few 2 & 3Cs and 3Ds.
I've got a 3D I'm working on now, off and on. Going to probably end up drilling out the switch assembly in its entirety. It's strictly for fun. I don't really need another 3D.
As others have said, if no sentimental value, toss it and buy a new one.
One the other hand, if it is sentimental (one of mine being Dad's last battery fed patrol light before the PD switched to rechargeables) or you have time and want a project, go for it!

Let's see some pics of that resto!! Is it the older style aluminum retaining ring switch? Those can be a pain!

I'll post up some pics of the resto on this one when I get to it. I've got a few other lights I'm working on but I'll get to this one in short order.

swampgator

Enlightened
Let's see some pics of that resto!! Is it the older style aluminum retaining ring switch? Those can be a pain!

I'll post up some pics of the resto on this one when I get to it. I've got a few other lights I'm working on but I'll get to this one in short order.

You know, having been a member here for over a decade, I've never posted a photo....lol

I'm home for a week starting Monday. I'll see what I can do..

None of the D cells have the aluminum retaining ring. Although one of the 2C lights did.