Fitorch        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you think the best folding knife

Default Re: What do you think the best folding knife

Boker Camp. For me it is artwork.

I have quite a few Buck US 110 locking folders, slipjoint (non locking) a good friend of mine Shing Chan from Belper Derbyshire makes some very nice legal carry knives, his work can be seen on edgematters forum. Reeves Sebenzas are probably hard to beat for quality but i think way over priced. Paul.

No real way to make that determination unless you've handled a lot. What is your ideal handle and blade lenght, what lock do you want on it, what handle materials, what is the use so you can decide on a blade steel, fixed or folder, custom/midtech/production, American or foreign?

What I did to find my taste in knives was go to the local army navy as well as a gun store. There I asked to handle them and find what I liked and disliked. What I recommend to people is Kershaw for good budget users and their higher end like Zero Tolerance if you want a little but extra.

Quote Originally Posted by Loloo View Post
    I am collecting various folding knife. Can you recommend some good knives. Thank you.
    Like flashlights there are so many to choose from:

I started out with with SOG and Spyderco back in the 80s/90s
    Then moved to better (well at least more expensive) Spydercos and ZTs in the early 2000s
    Then found Emersons and Striders in the 2010s
    And eventually moved into custom knives
    So now I rotate Emerson, Strider, Burnley, Mayo, Begg, Dervish...

The one knife I own more of than any other is the Strider SnG. A great knife with soul.

Flashaholic

Andrew Demko AD-10. Strong lock, good steel options (CTS-XHP, 3V, 20CV), useful blade shape, and looks gooooood.

Quote Originally Posted by pingpongsong View Post
    how about Spyderco Techno, made in taiwan, are they good? i read good reviews on the techno

Cheers
    Spyderco Taiwan factory is one the best. Don't worry just because it's says "Taiwan" 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Loloo View Post
    I am collecting various folding knife. Can you recommend some good knives. Thank you.
    I have had a lot of knifes. But I would say Spyderco Paramilitary 2 and Para 3 both with compression lock is a buy you never regret... They come standard in S30V, but there are sprint runs as well in other steels like M4, M390 and so on. I also like my Sebenza 21 small Insingo as an EDC. And you can look at Hinderer as we if you want some more "over built" option. I have had a bunch of XM-18 and an XM24 all so great knifes. Good luck. 👍

Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, New York City Manhattan

I carry XM 18 Hinderer's, and love them in fact I'm selling all my Benchmade's from the 90's, Spyderco's and other brands and just keeping my XM's and Randall's.
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by kreisl View Post
    that's younger than the young squirrel
    Whatever is the young squirrel, if I may ask?!

Knife CORREX: I have several Spyderco Co-Pilots which I will never sell and some SAK's, one I have carried every day with a few security restrictions since 1978, so, yeah, that's it. The Co-Pilot's I have had since 1988.

-30-
    Last edited by RedLED; 02-08-2018 at 03:56 AM.

Chris Reeve Sebenza 21 or Umnumzaan.

I have probably a hundred knives, and used to carry about 6 or so at any given time. I have streamlined my EDC's down to two or four. I rotate them depending on my mood, but USUALLY I end up with either: 1.) A pair of Strider (SMG and SNF) folders up front (left and right front pants pockets) or 2.) A CRKT M14-16 in the left front and a Cold Steel Voyager in the right pocket.
    What is "best"? I would say a Strider, but one must remember/consider money doesn't always factor into the "best" category. IF the cost is an influencing factor, I would say there are several brands to consider-Gerber, Spyderco, CRKT, etc. I must admit I am looking real hard at a Medford.

As mentioned, your individual needs and carrying habits will determine what is "best". If I had to single one out for a folder- Strider -either the SMG or the SNF.

I really think Old school Al Mar knives are great. I am currently into Knives made by Jared Oeser. Check him out on FB or the web. The best!

Grinser2 Re: What do you think the best folding knife

Well it depends on your budget- hereís some great options...

Opinel #8 Carbon or Inox
    Extreme Ratio RAO II
    Benchmade Griptilian
    Fallkniven PC
    Leatherman Charge TTi (multi-tool with S30V blade)
    Zero Tolerance knives
    Spyderco Knives
    Cold Steel Knives
    Kershaw Knives
    Ontario RAT I or II

You get the idea- there are lots to choose from!
    I currently have an Opinel #8 Carbone and a Leatherman Charge AL. Iím happy with them both!

Flashaholic*

Benchmade Griptilians and Buck Vantage have been my favorites. Iíve also always been fond of spyderco and recently started liking Cold Steel.
    However Iíve been carrying a Kershaw Cqc-6 and thats a lot of knife for the money!

Doesnt make much difference though as I also have carried a Gerber EAB for many many years and thatís what sees the most use... I can do whatever I want to it and then just change the blade!

Cadet:

CRK Large Inkosi

Michael Zieba folding knives.

Not sure if it the best, but my favorite is the Spyderco Gayle Bradley.

Some of my personal favorites are:

Spyderco DragonFly II

Spyderco Para Military II
    CRKT (Leef Killer) EROS-SS Large
    Leatherman Super Tool 300
    Gerber Suspension
    Victorinox Swiss Army Super Tinker
    "You have attracted people who are determined that ideology is more important than facts."
    Ted Koppel

I have 2 outdoor folding knives. One is my EDC.

Anyway, Swiss Army Knives, they're nice. I've got the Rucksack model which has a large locking blade and a saw amongst things. It's not UK EDC (every day carry) legal because of the lock and length of the blade. However I'm 31 and have no cautions or convictions so I'll keep it my rucksack for day to day stuff and take my chances. Depending on the copper there should be no problems.

I also like the French made Opinel https://mechanicguides.com/best-pock...for-whittling/ Available in carbon or stainless and in many different sizes. They lock with a twist of a metal collar. They're very good with wood or food. Tried and tested over many years and of high quality. They do the job for me, plus they're very cheap. Even though this is "old world" looking I don't EDC it. The SAK is far friendlier for a street Copper due to the tools on it.

Apart from the SAK I'm moving away from military knives for general work.
    I certainly don't need thumb studs or serrated edges.

If you want military looking knives no problems though.
    Life is short, carry the knife(s) you like, not the knives that I like.

One question, would you need a folding knife for the outdoors if you've got a 4inch fixed blade?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12