simple heat sink, CW driver for a 2W 9 mm Optronics diode

runcyclexcski

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I've got a 2W (2000 mW) 730 (infrared) diode from Optronics. I thought it would come with a basic heat sink and protective circuit, but no, this is just the chip itself. It's in a sealed pack, no lens, no fiber coupler. The diode was $700. When packaged and sold with a turn-key package from laser companies this would have been 3K-5K, so I figured I would save some cash.

http://www.rpmclasers.com/product/ldx-3215-730-fc/

I am planning to run it in CW mode, stationary, for hours at a time using a low-ripple power supply. This is to be used as a light source. Has sa source of affordable parts (much cheaper than Thorlabs), to build a simple package to drive the diode -- power supply, lenses, heat sink adapters, etc? I am thinking to couple it to a fiber to clean up the light (e.g. like shown in the page linked above).

I am particularly concerned about the size of the sink, and about the best way to attach the diode to the sink not to burn it. I would prefer not to use fans, and instead use a massive piece of Al or Copper, or just attach the sink to a water-cooled CPU plate.

I am thinking to practice on small lower power cheap laser diodes first, make sure I get it to work, and once I am comfortable with what I am getting. I've done this for 5W IR LEDs before. I used a heat sink typically found in high-power flash lights. The diode would get warm to the touch (40C perhaps). I imagine, for the diode, I would use a bigger sink for the laser diode to stabilize the temperature? I would prefer not to glue the thing permanently, to be able to change it if it burns out.

Cheers!