Suggestions for new front position lamp bulb

jaycee88

Newly Enlightened
One of the two front position lamps on my motorcycle has burned out. The bulb is a W5W.

Before I purchase a replacement, I have a few questions:

- Are there any advantages to amber versus white?
- Are there any good/compliant LED replacements for this application?
- If no good/compliant LED replacements, any suggestions for an incandescent replacement? Aside from OEM.

Thanks in advance.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
There's no advantage to amber versus white. In Europe, amber front position lamps are now legal only on motorcycles, with the idea being to make them visually distinct from other kinds of vehicles. In North America where I assume you're located, motorcycles aren't required to have front position lamps, but if they're present they can be amber or white, just like on all other vehicles.

LEDs, Osram has a good one in white or amber. Spherical light distribution not too different from a filament bulb (if the bulb had frosted rather than clear glass). If you decide not to try the LEDs, you can make the front position lights brighter by putting in a 3652 bulb (5 watts, 75 lumens) rather than the W5W (5 watts, 50 lumens).

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the two front position lamps on my motorcycle has burned out. The bulb is a W5W.

I'm not sure which motorcycle you have, but on the Lexus LS430, the front position lamp bulb is just 1/2" away from the high beam bulb (which is also the DRL, albeit at reduced voltage)-- and mounted above it. On that car, I'm not switching to LED for that function, as the DRL and/or high beam may cook that LED and in turn the entire lamp assembly.

jaycee88

Newly Enlightened
On that car, I'm not switching to LED for that function, as the DRL and/or high beam may cook that LED and in turn the entire lamp assembly.

On my motorcycle, the two position lamps are a part of and located on either side of the single headlight (H4 freeform reflector) assembly. Distance between the headlight bulb and each position lamp bulb looks to be about 5-6".

My thinking with going to LED's for the position lamps is mainly for reliability/longevity - I presume the LED's would be a little less susceptible to vibration than a filament bulb. The position lamp bulbs, despite being part of the headlamp assembly, are more tedious to replace than the headlight bulb.