• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

New Product Announcement - Nitecore i8 Multi-slot Intelligent Charger

NitecoreStore

Enlightened
NITECORE I8 INTELLIGENT CHARGER FOR 18650 RCR123A 17650 17670 14500 AA AAA AND MORE WITH 2 USB OUTPUT PORTS

NOW IN STOCK!
Available for immediate shipping
Use coupon code CPF15OFF to save 15% at checkout

Monitors and charges each of the 8 slots independently
Active Current Distribution (ACD)
Compatible with and identifies Li-ion batteries, Ni-MH and Ni-Cd rechargeable batteries
Over-charging prevention

Last edited:

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice! Hope to see this with digital display eventually.

But love the fact that there are multiple usb outputs.

Hopefully someone will review!

Excellent design Nitecore.

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if it can charge all 8 slots @ 1a each simultaneously, the real purpose of having so many slots available.

PaladinNO

Enlightened
I wonder if it can charge all 8 slots @ 1a each simultaneously, the real purpose of having so many slots available.

Only 0.5 A with all 8 bays loaded, unfortunately.

http://charger.nitecore.com/CHARGER/i/i8/
^ last image, all the way down on the page.

That said, 0.5 A is surely better for the batteries than 1 A (depends on the battery, obviously). I don't know where the "safe limit" is for 18650's, but I wouldn't mind the extra wait when that means I can charge all 8 batteries from my Fenix TK76 with extension kit at once.

If I am to totally swallow the commercial: With all these built-in safety curcuits, I don't think I would feel bad about leaving the charger overnight (6-8 hours unattended).
That's ideally, of course - one shouldn't ever leave a charger for whatever reason for a long period of time.

Still, I need a second charger. My Fenix ARE-C2 (1 A x 4) ain't keeping up with all the demands right now. And while I am bidding on a Xtar VC2 Plus right now to assist with the charging demands, and got a dedicated AA/AAA tower charger...the Nitecore I8 looks mighty tempting.

Vinniec5

Enlightened
I wanted to say thanks to Nitecore for putting the effort into a simple to use but intelligent charger. I bought a second one after the first one came and I could verify it can hold+charge NIMH D-cells. Either way I needed another charger for my AA eneloop stockpile. i said goodbuy to 3 older chargers, one that was too slow and 2 battery cooker md-3000s. The I8s now join their 4 slot nitecore brothers and now the offical Nitecore charging station is open.

Thanks Nitecore

ftumch33

Enlightened
I have a gripe with Nitecore with the I8 charger as well as the D4 and that is the D4 is advertised as well as the I8 being able to charge Nimh `C` cells and it cannot.
I currently own the D4 and have Imedion `C` cells I use for my maglite (with an LED drop in). I`ve tried to charge them up and even though they barely fit in the the outside left and outside right bays and they do not make contact to facilitate charging.
I had contacted Nitecore about this and they had said it does not even though it says so on the box. I kept the D4 because I needed a new charger for my 18650`s and I do like the charger.
I`m just getting back into RC trucks and the I8 would be a good charger for all my `AA` cells but was wondering if anyone can post a picture of the the I8 charging `C` and `D` cells?

Vinniec5

Enlightened
I have 2 i4s and 3 D4s and they don't fit my NIMH C-cells either . I bought the first I8 after seeing a review on youtube showing the oversize corner slots and batteries in them. After getting it and personally verified it fitting and charging my Tenergy Centura D lsd cells I then bought the second charger. I have over 100 AA eneloops, 20 D-cells 8 Cs, plus 30 or so 18650s so I needed some extra charging slots plus the USB charging ports are good for my USB lights & power banks.

I tried emailing quite a few sellers of the I8 and could never get a complete answer about the D cell fitting, thats why i waited a while before buying it. Then the youtube review showed the oversize corner slots and I took a chance on it. You can tell its a well built charger as it feels solidly built. the I8 will charge 4 cells at 1 amp in the corner slots and took between 8 and 10 hours to charge each set of my fully to 1.45volts.

Nitecore should show D and C cells in the photos it would definitely clear up any confusion plus highlight the size difference of the corner slots so its easier to see them in the advertising

Last edited:

ftumch33

Enlightened
Damn, that`s a lot of batteries.
I was figuring getting the I8 because my RC controller takes 8 AA cells. Why they haven`t made a Nimh pack instead for it I have no idea lol.
I wonder if it`s possible to wire up a USB cord to a `D` cell holder and charge up C and D cells with the I8 that way.
I went looking for that youtube review and I think I found it. I can see the bays on the end are indeed oversized.
It`s near impossible to tell from Nitcores` site though since they don`t give you a dead on shot of the charger without batteries in it.

Last edited:

Vinniec5

Enlightened
Why would you need to use a D-cell holder to charge them using the usb output? The I8 WILL charge C and D NIMH cells but only a max of 4 at a time in the corner oversize slots thats why i bought 2 so i could charge 8 large cells and still have room for other batteries if i need too. they will charge at 1 amp with 4 in and i think 1.5amps if you only load 2
I think you would be happy with it IMO. I like the footprint of the charger too. 2 of them side to side dont take up much room at all

Last edited:

ftumch33

Enlightened
It was just a thought if the USB outputs could be utilized this way. The 4 outer slots would be enough for what I need.
By the way...I ordered the I8 :)

Vinniec5

Enlightened
Now i understand what you meant, that would be a great way to add extra cell capacity. i think the usb output is 2.1A @5v. Happy you ordered one and want to hear how it works for you

ftumch33

Enlightened
Just received the I8 today and was a little concerned.
The place I had purchased it from had placed it in a priority envelope, nothing wrapped around it. Not even one wrap around of bubble wrap.
As a result the box was pretty banged up and the piece of cardboard that holds the charger right side up was torn. That`s how jostled the charger was treated in shipping.
I have the charger hooked up now charging up a few Nimh `C`cells and a few Li-ions to see if the charger is alright.
I can say this charger needs a little bit more thought on the next version already as to how the bays hold the batteries in place, especially the four outer bays that can hold `C` and `D` cells. I`ll have to use a rubber band to keep the four outer batteries in place so they sit right and don`t fall out.
There is a distinct clicking sound coming from the charger. Is this normal?

Last edited:

Vinniec5

Enlightened
I thought the same thing with the charger when I tried to set it down after loading the 4 D cells in while holding it. when i loaded them with the charger on the bench i had no problem. If the button top is sitting straight they never fell out on me any more especially the Ds because of the weight they want to kick out. The clicking is the same on both of mine, seems to quiet down as they charge like many chargers.

they could add 4 little battery retainer arms that swivel from the side or push up/down from the base/top to hold larger batteries in securely or ever better add a magnet to each corner slot

Last edited: