when did maglight start using the cat head on the solitaire?

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have one in cobalt blue without the logo.
was going to led mod it to 5mm hi cri and 10440 li-ion.
but i have to drill the reflector.
hate to hack up a rare one if there is such a thing as a rare solitaire.or anyone even cares about these.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maglite started using the panther on the D and C cells in 1992. Until 1995 they appeared with a TM next to the logo when the trademark was approved. See below for the TM vs. the 1996 and later R bezel. The TM is on the right on the black bezel after the panther and the R is on the right on the blue bezel after the panther.

IMG_1923.jpg

In 1996 Mag added the panther head logo to its AA and AAA lights as well. So, you'll never see an AA or AAA light with a TM next to the Panther.

The panther was officially chosen because it represents a creature of the night although there are other theories.

Does you Solitaire have the 2 lines of text where it says Mfg by Mag Instrument? As far as being rare, nah, not so much. The Mag Marquis (predecessor to the Solitaire and only produced for 1 month) is about the only AAA single Maglite worth anything. Some Solitaires have a TM after Solitaire instead of the R with the circle and these would have been produced for the first 8 months of Solitaire production but even those have no collector's market. So I would say, hack away! Let's see some pics of that baby though!!

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
sorta what i figured.
it does have 2 lines with the full ontario california.
i will look again tomorrow for the r or tm.
and shoot a pic or 2.
after seeing collectors with huge collections of all the varieties and colors just wanted to make sure its not a rare type/color before it gets modded.
i also have a brinkman "lawsuit light" in 1aaa that looks like a cut down minimag.pretty blatant copy if you asked me.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Some 2 line solitaires got out with an O in ontario slightly above the rest of the word and an obvious gap between the O and the rest. $ value? Got me, but there aint many like it so that would be a keeper for those who just collect unique Mag's.

Last edited:

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
btw mine is tm.
and my understanding is the logo is a panther/gazelle hybrid.
deed is done.
5mm ebay hi cri installed powered by a 10440 li-ion.
works nicely.