flash light recommendation please

joeynox

Newly Enlightened
hello so i need a decent light no more than $50. I need it to be REALLY bright but also not toobig or heavy as i walk around with alot of tools as it is. ive had a few old fenix lights that have fallen off the tops of elevatorsin the passed and havent survived so ive given up on expensive lights. ive bought a few knock off cheap chinese ultra fire from amazon. i had a nitecore ec20 which was ok on the brightness and the size was great but it got insanely hot. the step down from the highest setting 1000lm to the mode below was like 450lm which seems like a big step down to me. $50 max,18650,minumum 800lumens

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any single 18650 sized light that is over 800 lumens will get warm and will require thermal management of some type to prevent over heating. So stepping down to 450 lumens is OK. Besides, I don't think you will really see a lot of difference between the two levels since our eyes don't perceive brightness from a linear standpoint. (ie: 450 lumens might be half the brightness of 900 lumens but your eyes won't register it as half the brightness but as a little step lower). On single 18650 lights that are around 1000 lumens, I just use that max level on a temporary or momentary basis.

If you'd like to keep 1000 lumens on constantly, then I'd consider something like a 2x18650 light such as the TK35UE.........but then that defeats you're wanting something not too heavy.

I think the Atactical A1S for $29.99 on Amazon (made by Thrunite) is a pretty good option for an inexpensive 18650 light. Even comes with a 18650 battery. It's not very throwy, but is a pretty good light for the money. It doesn't come with a holster though.

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I understand your frustration. It seems you have two options. First, you can buy a number of ultra cheap lights and use them until they break. Second, you could invest in one expensive light with potted electronics and a lifetime guarantee. The other CPF'ers may have some low cost suggestions for you, but you might consider something like the Elzetta Bones. It's a bright 1 X 18650 light (650 lumens) that won't get too hot, won't step down the output, and is guaranteed to survive a fall from the elevator. If it should break, it's made in Kentucky with a lifetime guarantee. The MD2 from Malkoff Devices is another option. Just a thought.

Johnnyh

Enlightened
One suggestion might be a Convoy C8...around 25.00...I have the "clear anodized" (silver) version and it seems fairly robust for the price and very bright with good throw. By no means is it league with Elzetta or Malkoff but again, it's not gonna break the bank if you lose/destroy it. No holster but does come with a lanyard attached. Worth a look.