Give me an excuse to use my flashlights

DIPSTIX

Enlightened
I live in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I own a house in a nice quiet subdivision with a park down the street. I often watch thunderstorms and quietly wish to myself that the reliable city lighting would cease for a chance to use one of my high quality lights like the Acebeam K60 and others. I want to know more ways to be able to use my flashlights. I am willing to be put into a situation where i need one but I also need an excuse to tell the wife how we got into the situation.

harro

Enlightened
I think most flashaholics have wished for a power outage at one time or another, without making light of the week and fortnight long power outages that can accompany hurricanes ( 'cyclones', down here ). An hour or two would be good.

sgt253

Enlightened
Perhaps a walk through the neighborhood with a stop in the park could be a good way to stretch your flashlight's legs...

Johnnyh

Enlightened
Got a dog? They are expensive little buggers but my lights gets a lot of usage because of him. Either night walks or lighting up the yard for ball-tossing. Of course, the less-than-glamorous part of this is using the light to pick up his business so as not to anger the neighbors!

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I share your frustration. Summer is the flashlight slow season. Too many daylight hours and too much heat even after dark. I enjoy flashlight laden night hikes, but it's not dark enough until about 9pm and, well, I go to bed early. Winter is more suitable to my torchaholism, but if I lived as far north as you, I would not go outside until spring. It's one thing to keep the flashlight cool, it's another thing to live on the Hoth System. I suppose you could always annoy your neighbors?

DRAWs

Newly Enlightened
a golf course usually very very dark at night. i usually test my flashlight there until someone call the cops :D

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a multi-story Medical Arts building nearby with a 24 hour urgent care. The stairways have very minimal lighting. Since I am recovering from multiple surgeries, going up and down stairways is excellent exercise , and I always have 3-4 lights on me and rotate every 3 stories....and of course walking the dog at night...

lytumup

Newly Enlightened
I live in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I own a house in a nice quiet subdivision with a park down the street. I often watch thunderstorms and quietly wish to myself that the reliable city lighting would cease for a chance to use one of my high quality lights like the Acebeam K60 and others. I want to know more ways to be able to use my flashlights. I am willing to be put into a situation where i need one but I also need an excuse to tell the wife how we got into the situation.

Well I am in Waukesha, Wi and twice in the last 2 weeks the power was taken out by falling trees. So I would suggest moving from Milwaukee to the suburbs of Waukesha and you will have plenty of chances to use flashlights. By the way I just picked up before Wednesdays storm a Fenix CL 30r and it was a great chance to use it all night until power came back on at 3 a.m.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Give me an excuse to use my flashlights...... "

.....I am an amateur Flashlight Testing Technician in training.

lnhldyf

Newly Enlightened
When I go to the bathroom at night, I use the flashlight secretly. I'm afraid that opening the light will affect the rest of others. This is the only use of my flashlight

nbp

Flashaholic
Welcome fellow 'Sconnies! I'm near Cedarburg, NW of Milwaukee, but I live outside of town and the backyard meets a wildlife refuge so plenty of dark here. ;)

lytumup

Newly Enlightened
Welcome fellow 'Sconnies! I'm near Cedarburg, NW of Milwaukee, but I live outside of town and the backyard meets a wildlife refuge so plenty of dark here. ;)

Small world, love the Cedarburg area, I have been going to Maxwell street days since I was a kid.

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
I have the same dilemma. I'm primarily using my AA light indoors on moonlight and low for 20 minutes per day. A single battery lasts about 2 months. It's light when I go to bed and when I wake up. My other lights are getting zero use.

terjee

Enlightened
Night-time hiking.

Not only would you get to use your lights, but you'd get to depend on them. To the point of it being dangerous if they fail.

Also nice to get used to it, since day-time hiking can quickly turn into night-time hiking if anything goes wrong. And any day can turn into hiking day if something goes wrong. Basically, any day can turn into night-hiking day.

I have no idea about your age, but hiking really is an "almost anybody can do it"-type of thing. :)

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same problem over here ;-).

I'm into nighttime mountainbiking for some time now, I'm using a shortened Maglite on my handlebar and some flashlight on my helmet for a better overview in tight corners. The flashlight on my head I vary from time to time, usually it's a Sunwayman G25C. And I just ordered another headlamp because I want to try out nighttime jogging. So that's one way for my to use my flashlights.

But indeed I want to use my flashlights more. I used to live in the 7th floor of a building overlooking a meadow and some days I just stood on the balcony and compared my flashlights but since moving in a more populated area I'm afraid I would scare somebody late at night shining multiple flashlights out of my window ;-(.

The Hawk

Enlightened
My beer fridge is in the basement. I don't turn on any lights when I make a beer run. I use my EDC to light my way. Feel free to practice this yourself.

VE3RADIO

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

Longtime listener, first time caller.

I live in a suburban area near Toronto, ON..

I use my lights on a nightly walk.. there are lot of dark parks and nature trails nearby right in the heart of the city that have absolutely no light. I always carry a really strong light in case I run in to any undesirables.. but around 11 PM most of them are up to other things. The good thing about the TN42 and the Niwalker FA09 is that I can see any trouble from at least 1 KM away :) I find using the TN30 better for the bush trails.