Selective Yellow Lens Paint Choices

jzchen

Enlightened
If I may please follow up this topic (as I have the bumper off a '12 Toyota Prius v (wagon), and am eager to finally put it back together):

I bought a ZEVO FOG DRL Assembly, and there was significant concern with this product for use on any vehicle. I followed up with an email to Sylvania with the concern about them being fake/seconds/basically non-road worthy. I got a quick answer to send a picture of the packaging and copy of the Amazon receipt. A day or so later after sending them, I received an email with:

email from Sylvania"Per the Product Engineer:

Amazon is an authorized reseller.
The pictured packaging is correct.
This packaging is typical for online sales channels."

Being somewhat confirmed as an original Sylvania product, are these a road worthy product to install? It would require me to find a LEDFOG101-TY-M mount to facilitate installation on the car, meaning I need to buy one, which don't seem to be available here in the USA, cheapest I could find seems to be Amazon Spain, and wait for delivery. At $35 cheapest I could find for the mount, I may just forgo trying to install it and try to return the lamps to Amazon if they are no good in the first place. If they are good I may then try to fit/cut a yellow film available here:
http://www.lamin-x.com/3-5-Yellow-Round-Light-Covers-p/sb-3.5y.htm
to make the fog function yellow and keep the DRL white.

It's been about 6 months, are there any good to use selective yellow bulbs available now? Or is it better to use the film, also available from Lamin-X:
http://www.lamin-x.com/Toyota-Prius-V-12-14-Yellow-Fog-Light-Covers-p/t441y.htm
on the OE fog lights that came with the car?

Is the available Philips X-tremeVision LED behind this yellow filter a good idea, or is a high quality H11 behind the filter better?

There is a paint mentioned by Daniel Stern in his selective yellow article. Is it better to use the paint to get the selective yellow output? (I am a little concerned about my ability to paint the lenses, but if better than the stick on filters I may try.)

Thank you!

Moderator Note
Often, copying and pasting from an HTML or Rich Text source will also paste in color and font tagging. It can be useful to first paste into notepad.exe to strip out the extraneous formatting

--Alaric D

Last edited by a moderator:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Hella Optilux bulbs illegal?

Being somewhat confirmed as an original Sylvania product, are these a road worthy product to install?
Seems it's legitimately Sylvania's product-- must be something like the "Frustration-Free Packaging", or perhaps packaging similar to "white box" packaging for computer equipment for VARs/system integrators to install, like an AWE32 from Creative Labs.

If they are good I may then try to fit/cut a yellow film available here:

http://www.lamin-x.com/3-5-Yellow-Round-Light-Covers-p/sb-3.5y.htm

to make the fog function yellow and keep the DRL white.
It may be difficult to mask it properly such that the DRL remains white, whether through paint or film.

If you use film, replace it every 6-9 months, maybe every year.

It's been about 6 months, are there any good to use selective yellow bulbs available now?
Weren't then, aren't now.

Is the available Philips X-tremeVision LED behind this yellow filter a good idea, or is a high quality H11 behind the filter better?
The XVL's high CCT means less yellow is in the light to pass through the filter. Might be slightly dimmer output than intended. Might also look weird-- not that aesthetics are that important.

An H11, and leaving the fog lamps off (they are of so limited use) is best here.

There is a paint mentioned by Daniel Stern in his selective yellow article. Is it better to use the paint to get the selective yellow output? (I am a little concerned about my ability to paint the lenses, but if better than the stick on filters I may try.)
The paint will be optically cleaner than a film, but it does require some skill to apply. And if it gets damaged, it's hard to fix.

jzchen

Enlightened
Daniel Stern has a very good article on selective yellow here:

https://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/light_color/light_color.html

Towards the bottom he notes a product that has the correct properties to try to accomplish this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000994BUW/?tag=cpf0b6-20

But seems it is a little difficult to apply, and Amazon has this option specifically for lenses:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005Y38S3E/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Since he didn't recommend it, does that mean it is not correct in color, or is otherwise a poor choice? (Asks the slightly color blind man.)

Thank you!

jzchen

Enlightened
I recall reading a reference to a WebElectric DRL module here to run the yellow turn signal bulbs as DRLs, so I may just wrap the whole lens yellow, or try the Lamin-X film. I am assuming that is a legal color for DRLs since the unit was referenced by a moderator. I think there is still the concern of 6000K being farther from yellow that it may make output weak though, so regarding the ZEVO unit I guess it may be better to leave it as is. But, I have two vehicles that I hope to possibly run the ZEVO unit in, one is my '13 smart fortwo with fog lights, which recently had an accident, is at a collision shop, and possibly may be able to use as replacements, (basically insurance told me it is totaled, but after submitting all the accessories I've added, it may not be...). The other is a '12 Prius v I will just try to convert the OE fog lights to yellow output, which leaves the question of method: paint, film, or yellow bulb. In this thread I asked specifically about paint usage, as Alaric kindly noted it might be the most optically clear, and that there are no good yellow bulbs. (I'll have to ascertain my possibility of success on my own, and possibly consider the film as an alternative. I'm pretty good at applying those glass screen protectors and other film products on electronics).

There was a question, I believe by user Sadden, about how difficult it is to install the Sylvania ZEVO FOG DRL product, and I found a review that is quite helpful in describing the installation here, (for the LEDriving FOG unit, but is almost the same product from what I can tell):

http://www.xenondepot.com/highlander-Osram-ledriving-fog-review-s/61.htm

(No comment on the lighting performance. It was just nice to see the installation process.)

There are other mounts available:

https://www.powerbulbs.com/store/search/mount

the LEDRIVING FOG, not the ones that have PL/F1, seem to be appropriate for the ZEVO lamps.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Assuming the guy at the link didn't mess something up, it looks like Osram-Sylvania made a pretty big foul-up with the controls for this product: the fog lamps or DRLs flash on and off together with the hazard lights, which is both unsafe and illegal.

Last edited:

jzchen

Enlightened
Thank you for the input Virgil!!!

I watched the video repeatedly to try to see what is going on.

It's so quick I'm not sure I got it correctly:

The DRL vs Fog function on the video is distinguished by brightness. The DRL is very bright, and the fog is less bright. I saw the DRL flash with the hazard lights. Whether this is legal or not, I have no clue....

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Read it again. Turn signals are the only lamps allowed to flash, all others must be steady-burning with a few minor situational exceptions (emergency braking display, side markers flashing with turn signals, etc). And the hazard warning function is the simultaneous operation of left and right turn signals, which (in front) must be amber; white is not allowed.

If you're looking for a paragraph that says "Oh, by the way, jzchen, if you're reading this, those Zevo things you bought are illegal", you're not going to find it. :)

jaycee88

Newly Enlightened
it looks like Osram-Sylvania made a pretty big foul-up with the controls for this product: the fog lamps or DRLs flash on and off together with the hazard lights, which is both unsafe and illegal.

Apparently it's a side of effect of the 'cornering assist' feature that can be wired to the turn signals (see 'When the hazard lights are switched on, flash the LEDriving FOG sync with' and 'What is Assistant Cornering?'):

https://www.osram.com/osram_com/tools-and-services/services/faq/automotive-lighting/index.jsp

They do acknowledge this is not permissible for road use.

Last edited:

jzchen

Enlightened
Not legal for ECE. I did note that before but did not know that ECE rules apply here.

I am rereading the FMVSS data "current as of June 29, 2017". I hope to find the error in my reading soon....

jaycee88

Newly Enlightened
Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
It really is pathetic they didn't build the controller with logic to prevent the lamps from flashing with the hazards. It would not have been difficult or expensive.

And no, jzchen, ECE regulations don't apply in the USA; that's not the point and I think you know it, so please knock it off, OK? Thanks.

Last edited:

jaycee88

Newly Enlightened
It really is pathetic they didn't build the controller with logic to prevent the lamps from flashing with the hazards. It would not have been difficult or expensive.

The instruction manual seems to say that if you (optionally) connect the wires to the turn signals to enable the cornering assist feature (which lights up the fog on the respective side when you indicate), then as a bonus violation the DRL's will flash with your hazards if you turn them on.

If you leave those wires unconnected, the lamps function normally as either fogs or DRL's.

Last edited:

jzchen

Enlightened
If you leave those wires unconnected, the lamps function normally as either fogs or DRL's.

I'll just do that.

Thank you!

I was aware that I'm able to install it in a way that it doesn't flash with the hazards. Just wanted to verify that it was (not, in this case,) okay before I put them on, slap the bumper back on, and say, shoot, I wish I had that feature, (if it was legal).

Last edited: