Small USB rechargeable for urban travel

Ohmygod

Newly Enlightened
I need a good quality, small or even tiny, low weight USB rechargeable flashlight or headlamp. Mail-order. Multi-level. The main use is to put it into my carry-on travel bag and have something in case of hotel power failure, lost stuff under the bed, the occasional night walk on broken pavement, etc. Weight and size are a concern since I try not to check any luggage. I already have several USB chargers for other gadgets I carry. Cheaper is preferable (in my experience travel stuff is often lost) but I don't know how much I should spend, hopefully not much. I don't need any "tactical" or exotic features, doesn't need to be "bomb-proof", not allergic to plastic, etc.

Thanks, Ohmygod

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would try the Atactical A1 flashlight. Don't be thrown off by the name its not really a tactical based flashlight. It comes with a rechargeable 18650 (it has a built-in mini USB charge port right on the battery, could not be any more convenient). Very usable range out outputs and run times. It isn't tiny, but its not large either. Very high bang for the buck value.

Atactical A1

LED: CREE XP-G2 LED with a lifespan of 20+ years of run time.
• Runs on: Atactical li-ion 18650 battery (3.7V/2600mAh).
• Working voltage: 2.7V-4.2V
• Output & Runtime (Tested with Atactical li-ion 3.6V/2600mAh)

Strobe(550 lumens /4 hrs),
Turbo(550 lumens/3.3 hrs),
High(200 lumens /5.5 hrs),
Medium(63 lumens /19 hrs),
Low(10 lumens /5.5 days).

• Peak beam intensity: 10520 cd (max.)
• Max beam distance: 205 meters (max.)
• Waterproof to IPX-7 Standard (1 meters).
• Impact resistant: 1.5 meters.
• Dimensions: 136mm*25.4mm
• Weight: 86g (excluding battery).
Accessories: USB Rechargeable Li-ion 18650 battery*1, Cable*1,Spare O-ring*2, Pocket Clip*1
• Available in neutral white.

It has excellent reviews on Amazon (4.5+/5) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071ZRY3DX/?tag=cpf0b6-20

As reviewed on CPF: https://youtu.be/QOaT5uYuZ-w

It is available at a great price (under $20), brought to you by ThruNite, a reputable company that produces some champion lights reviewed here on CPF. :twothumbs

Last edited:

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore Tube, Nitecore Tip, Manker Lad - non-replaceable batteries, but extremely lightweight for the performance level.

There are also quite a few "peanut" style lights powered by replaceable 10180 cells, like the Fenix UC02. I can't keep track of all the various models. They're all about the same size and performance level, with a couple different emitter choices and slightly different aesthetics.

There's a couple RCR123 lights like the Fenix RC09 and Olight S1R (be aware, both have a proprietary charging cable).

Personally I just keep a 1 x AAA or 1 x AA light in my travel bag (Fenix E05 or L3 Illumination L11C currently). Charge the Eneloop up before a trip, and if I ever run out mid-trip, I can feed it alkalines. If it's a long trip, I can bring spare Eneloops pre-emptively.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nitecore T360 is another option. I don't use the headband on mine. I clip it to a pocket, collar or between the buttons on my shirt and then direct the beam where I need it.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Although I prefer Peak (Logan, Eiger) as my main travel torches, if your top criteria include ultra compact size and integrated USB charging, the MecArmy SGN3 has a number of other features handy for travellers

wernerh

Newly Enlightened
I'd personally recommend the Fenix UC02. This meets your general requirements well.

Rechargeable: Yes - 10180 battery
Small: Under 2 inches in length - only weighs 8 grams (excluding battery)
Powerful: 130 lumens on high, 10 lumens low setting

Recharges with standard micro-usb cable (you probably already have something packed that uses it). It's not exactly "cheap" at around $25 - but a quality unit.

If you don't want to spend more than $10 - then the NiteCore Tube is probably the best one for you (not a bad light - but UC02 has over double the lumens on high and I like it's twist-on/twist-off switch better than the Tube button)

Safe Travels.

Last edited by a moderator: