New SSC "SunLike" emitter ....

archimedes

Flashaholic
Re: New SSC "SunLike" emitter ....

... thread retitled, and moved to emitter forum ...

Yes, violet-based chips have been around for a while now, and have certain advantages for color rendering

Last edited:

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: New SSC "SunLike" emitter ....

Nice to see another option in the extremely high CRI category. The best of the blue LED based emitters don't leave too much to be desired in terms of terms of color quality in most situations, but if you need good fidelity in the deep blues and violets, blue-based can fall short.

I happened to see a longer press release here:
http://www.ledsmagazine.com/article...-introduce-broad-spectrum-led-technology.html

There's odd commentary in there about "eliminating the blue peak"..."health hazard."

As far as I know, that is a misportrayal of the concerns about blue light. The two issues I know of are that high intensity light of shorter wavelengths causes greater eye strain and may contribute more to long term vision effects than longer wavelengths, and that blue light suppresses melatonin production and can disrupt sleep.

However, the first should apply just as much, if not more to violet light, yet those should not be a concern at the intensity levels of normal white lighting. The second I'm less clear on.