Review: FourSevens Mini MKII Turbo

A-MAC

Enlightened
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Length: 2.38 inches[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Body diameter: 0.8 inches[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Head diameter: 0.96 inches[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Weight (without batteries): 1.02 oz[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText-Bold]LED EMITTER[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]CREE XM-L2[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText-Bold]VOLTAGE RANGE[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]2.0V-4.2V[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText-Bold]BRIGHTNESS LEVELS[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]With FOURSEVENS RCR123A Battery:[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Moonlight: 0.75 lumens, 7 days[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Low:19 lumens, 16 hrs[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Medium: 240 lumens, 70 min[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]High: Burst at 1020 lumens, 15 seconds then 300 lumens, 48 min[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText-Bold]SPECIAL MODES[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Strobe: 1.5 hours[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]SOS: 3 hours[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Beacon(High): 8 hours[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Beacon(Low): 12 hrs[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText-Bold]REFLECTOR[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Smooth[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText-Bold]BODY MATERIAL[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Type-III hard-anodized aircraft-grade aluminum[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText-Bold]BEZEL MATERIAL[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Type-III hard-anodized aircraft-grade aluminum[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText-Bold]LENS MATERIAL[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Optical-grade glass lens with antireflective coating on both sides[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText-Bold]WATER RESISTANCE[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]IPX8[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText-Bold]INCLUDED ACCESSORIES[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Flex Charger, Clip, Keyring attachment, rechargeable battery[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]This light was sent to me for review.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]FourSevens continues to impress me. I'd say they are most well known in the EDC community for the Preon line, which is also great but I've reviewed a few CR123 lights lately and like I said, I'm impressed. In this case the review sample is the Mini MKII Turbo, a revised Mini MKII which I reviewed previously. While they share some key similarities they also have a few unique differences making it a little more suited for some situations. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Side by side they look nearly identical. The body shape body, finish and pocket clip all look very similar. Additionally the UI is the same between the two, I won't spend too much time on it but I'll post a link to the Mini MKII review below for more details. Like the Mini the UI is customizable to six settings which blend high, medium, low, moonlight, strobe, beacon hi/low. When you look closer you will see the body is slightly larger around, the pocket clip is slightly bigger and that the head is bigger around to house a large reflector instead of an optic which is where the important distinction lies between the two. The Mini MKII had a nice smooth floody type beam. The Turbo model is for throw, see the pictures below I couldn't believe how much light I was getting out of something the size of half a pack of Lifesavers. On high the head gets warm which is to be expected and the threads are smooth as butter. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Both come in the same minimal, sleek packaging. Both can also be had as a "combo" or you can just buy the light for a break on price. The combo includes Foursevens' high discharge CR123 and their magnetic flex charger making this offering, like others, a complete turn key light package. The Mini and Mini Turbo have become my favorite go-to weekend light. They produce more than enough light for anything I could get into and are easy to carry, neither is very noticeable in the bottom of my shorts pocket. The pocket clip also offers lens down carry when clipped to a pocket but it also offers the ability to easily attach it to a hat brim for an impromptu headlamp. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text]
[/FONT]

upload and resize image site

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's interesting. Does the turbo version have a much lower runtime? Usually the extra 20% less efficiency of going from a TIR to a reflector makes the TIR seem like a no brainer. I'm a little surprised that they get more output at all from the new one.

A-MAC

Enlightened
That's interesting. Does the turbo version have a much lower runtime? Usually the extra 20% less efficiency of going from a TIR to a reflector makes the TIR seem like a no brainer. I'm a little surprised that they get more output at all from the new one.

Run times for the Mini MKII:
With FOURSEVENS RCR123A High Drain Battery:
Moonlight: 0.75 lumens, 7 days
Low:19 lumens, 16 hrs
Medium: 240 lumens, 70 min
High: Burst at 980 lumens, 15 seconds then 288 lumens, 48 min

The Turbo has a slightly higher burst.

10ring

Newly Enlightened
I think tiny nugget pocket lights are finally to the point they're worth getting one. I've held off forever because the size didn't make up for the lack of performance.

Alfred143

Newly Enlightened
Looking for some info on the FourSevens Mini MKII Turbo. What is the cd number? Also the max throw distance in meters.
Thanks in Advance :)

donlong

Newly Enlightened
Would you say this is the brightest flashlight on the market in this category in terms of peak possible lumens?

lumenati

Newly Enlightened
Would you say this is the brightest flashlight on the market in this category in terms of peak possible lumens?
At the time you ask, I would say so. Today, after over two years since they were first introduced they are still holding their own. Impressive, in this market. The Mini Mark IIs were the last hurrah of Foursevens and I believe them to be the best light they ever produced. I own nine Mark IIs, two are Turbo.

Last edited:

WmArnold1

Newly Enlightened
At the time you ask, I would say so. Today, after over two years since they were first introduced they are still holding their own. Impressive, in this market. The Mini Mark IIs were the last hurrah of Foursevens and I believe them to be the best light they ever produced. I own nine Mark IIs, two are Turbo.
Dear Lumenati and lovers of the Mini Mark II - Turbo

I've EDC'd mine since 2017 and gifted three more before production ended

Four years later; is there anything even close by anybody other than maybe the FourSevens Mk III (Mark three) Turbo who offers about 1,000 lm and 200 m throw?

Last edited: