Review: Olight PL2 Weaponlight

Budda

Enlightened
Due to severe time limitations, this review is published with a reduced amount of writing, pics, data.
I received the PL2 from Olight for the review.

The PL2 is the new weaponlight from Olight. It features their traditional double sided switch, an XHP 35 emitter and works with 2 CR123 cells for increased output and runtime.

Unboxing
Olight_PL2_01.jpg

Olight_PL2_02.jpg

Olight_PL2_03.jpg

Olight_PL2_04.jpg

Inside the box: the light (with the 2 cells inside), manual, screws, rod to be installed on the weapon slide.
Olight_PL2_05.jpg

Olight_PL2_06.jpg

The PL2 has a larger design compared to the PL1 because it holds 2 CR123 Cells. As far as I can tell, everything is made out of metal, except the 2 protruding switches that are made of plastic.
Olight_PL2_07.jpg

Olight_PL2_08.jpg

Olight_PL2_09.jpg

Olight_PL2_10.jpg

Olight_PL2_11.jpg

Accessing the battery compartment is done by pulling this metal lever.
Olight_PL2_12.jpg

Here a detail of the lever mechanism.
Olight_PL2_16.jpg

Olight_PL2_17.jpg

Plastic spacer makes accidental activation impossible inside the box.
Olight_PL2_13.jpg

Olight_PL2_14.jpg

The hinges are made out of metal.
Olight_PL2_15.jpg

How about the front optic with the powerful XHP35 emitter?
Olight_PL2_18.jpg

The light can be slided on and off the rail by pulling this side lever
Olight_PL2_19.jpg

Olight_PL2_20.jpg

The UI is very simple:
There are only 2 modes, a constant and a strobe one.
- Pressing either one of the side switches at once, will turn the light on. Another press will turn it off.
- A long press of either of the side switches will activate the momentary on (the PL2 will turn off as soon as you depress the switch)
- Pressing the 2 switches at the same time will activate the fast strobe.

Beamshots, at 0.5 meters from the wall.
Olight_PL2_21.jpg

Olight_PL2_22.jpg

Olight_PL2_23.jpg

Olight_PL2_24.jpg

Olight_PL2_25.jpg

Olight_PL2_26.jpg

Olight_PL2_30.jpg

Olight_PL2_31.jpg

Output and runtime
Testing done with 2 Olight CR123 Cells.
Olight_PL2_28.png

Olight_PL2_29.png

My thoughts
The light is well built and finished.
The design and the UI seems smart and practical for the tactical application, intended for the PL2. It is consistent with the one of the PL1. The 2 switches design allows operation also for lefties (or your weak hand).
Beam, regulation and runtime are adequate for a handgun, which should operate within short distances. I like how the runtime remains flat after the stepdown for 1 and half hours, then slowly stepping down to let you know you need to replace cells.

I'd like to see a NW version of this light.

Thanks to: AntoLed for the camera instructions and the luxmeter; M87 for the shooting shots.

Last edited:

Budda

Enlightened
I need a vacation.
Thanks to Won I'll easily repuload them with the proper name. Thanks for noticing and telling me that.

Budda

Enlightened
I got the chance to shoot it on a glock 17 9mm. No prolblem with the light activation / functioning.
It helped a lot making the recoil more manageable. The other shooters at the range with the lights off confirmed that the beam is correct for a weaponlight.

rbmcmjr

Newly Enlightened
It appears that the only thing missing compared with the PL-1 is the ability to change batteries without removing the light from the mount. Is the increase in run time or the new emitter significantly better enough to offset that?

Rick