EDC, sturdy clip, micro USB charging, thinner is better

need_a_lite

Newly Enlightened
Asked elsewhere and got some good replies but figured second opinions can't hurt.

My primary light is a Jetbeam E10R, previously it was a Fenix PD22.

I've decided I really dislike two things about my Jetbeam. I hate the pocket clip and I really do not like side mounted on/off switch.

The clip slides around constantly. I tried to super glue it in place but eventually that stopped holding it in place and I'm just fed up with it.

So I'm looking for a light that's preferably along the lines of a rechargeable Fenix PD22, using standard Micro USB charging and not a proprietary cable.

I can go a little bigger but I'd prefer lights sized around a AA sized cell rather than 18650. Honestly my Nitecore TIP is enough light for me, I just prefer my primary be more hand filling and have longer run time between charges, plus the pocket clip. Being narrow is more important to me than being short, I hate how wide bodied flashlights feel clipped to my pockets.

Deep carry clip coming stock, quick access strobe and a super low lumen mode are also nice, but these are lower priorities.

Using parametrek with the following criteria:

features: with clip, micro-usb charging

switch: any of back, bottom, tail

body size: under 130mm

price: under $90

I have come up with the following options:

Atactical A1S neutral white

Rofis KR10

Thrunite TC12 V2

also someone suggested the following light and it seems nice enough:

Eagle Eye x5r

Since I have no experience with any of these brands I'm not really sure.

I just want to order something that will work, be reliable, have a clip that isn't going to slide around if I look at it funny, have a tailcap switch and charge by plugging a USB cable into it.

Last edited by a moderator:

terjee

Enlightened
Perhaps surprising, charging AAs is a lot harder than charging 18650s. For that reason, you might not see too many AA-lights with USB-charging.

I'm wondering if it could perhaps be an option to use something like two of these, for a charge one, use one type setup?
https://www.fenixlighting.com/product/arb-l14-1600u-built-in-usb-rechargeable-battery/

They're basically AA-sized LiIon batteries, with built-in micro-USB port for charging them. That'd give you a wide range of options, as many light support either AA or 14500 batteries. Klaris Mi7 is popular for example. Just double-check length of battery against lengths supported by any light before ordering.

Also, you could throw in Alkaline or Lithium AAs in a pinch, or use Eneloops and charge them in an external charger.