Reccomend a small EDC light for a student/journalist

as9934

Newly Enlightened
Hello!

I am a student and a journalist looking for a replacement to my current EDC light a (frankly-to-big) non-led Mini-Maglight. Since I am both a journalist and student I am often working long hours of the day or night. Some days I'll be in an office or classroom for 10 hours, some days I'll be out in the field from 630 to 9 p.m and I never know which day will be which. In my spare time, I also enjoy backpacking, swimming and travel so I need a light that is equipped to handle anything I throw at it but is small and discrete enough for me to carry it around all the time. And thus I turn to you great and wise sages from CandlePowerForums to advise on my next flashlight purchase.

In the light I am looking for the following:

Under $50

less than 6" long

runs on one or two AA or AAA batteries.

Comes on at greater than 120 lumens and then has a lower mode for reading etc.

Can comfortably illuminate a wide street or trail but not spill into the neighboring houses.

30 yards viewing distance

Runs at 120 lumens or greater for a minimum of one hour preferably 2-3 hours.

Able to withstand drops and general abuse in a backpack, bike mount or pocket.

Has tail switch, the bigger the better without sacrificing aesthetics.

Doesn't come on accidentally in my pocket.

Has as few modes as possible.

A black, blue or gray metal body.

Is IPx8 water resistant.

Has a pocket clip, preferably a black or dark colored one that won't stand out against dark jeans or pants.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you considered a Thrunite T10 or Thrunite Archer 1A V3 in neutral white?

as9934

Newly Enlightened
Have you considered a Thrunite T10 or Thrunite Archer 1A V3 in neutral white?

I haven't but both look pretty good.

I forgot to mention that I would like to keep the light as light as possible preferably under 4 oz. My preference is always going to be toward pen-style lights.

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used Going Gear's website and found a Foursevens Quark.

Last edited:

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about the ThruNite Ti4 NW or the Lumintop IYP365 with the nichia 219 ?

Nichia!

Banned
Or just buy the Zebralight hi and U will be happy with it for the rest of your life;)

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like Lumintop IYP365 Nichia so much that ordered a titanium version of it that just appeared. It has sufficient brightness on max for most of my applications and it is just a "pen" in your pocket.

as9934

Newly Enlightened
So far I like the Thrunite Archer 1A V3 or 2A V3 or the FourSevens Quark but I'm leaning towards the Thrunites. Anyone have experience with these lights that can steer me one way or another?

Last edited:

cp2315

Enlightened
I consider 47s of higher quality than thrunite in general but am pretty happy with both. I recently acquired a Quark QTL from ebay and am very happy with it. The UI is quite unique and intuitive. Once set up, you can use it as two-mode light, one with head tightened, one with head loose. Small, bright and very reliable. It was with me in a pool for three hours and have no signs of any damage. Also it is still on sale by 47s themselves for $19.If you go with Thrunite, you may also look at T10, or T10s or T10T. Sweet little light with a diffusor that turns it into a lantern. Really nice for tent camping.Only thing is that it uses a CR123 battery or a rechargeable 16340. Thought it is worth mentioning anyway.

Keitho

Enlightened
+1 on Zebralight SC5, lifetime purchase that checks all the boxes. Given potential use reading, on a trail, or on a bike, perhaps the headlamp form factor would work well? The H53's come with a pocket clip as well as a head band; simple o-ring or Velcro strap gets it on the bike handlebar in a pinch.

I would consider the 2xAA or 2xAAA options for greater runtimes, and greater peace of mind walking across a dark parking lot: extra brightness, plus easier use of the longer light body as a last ditch weapon.

Latest posts