10k LM led bulb specs, Worth it?

nitebrite

Enlightened
I have large Acreage. By a Barn I currently have a Feit 4k LM Corncob bulb, it draws 36W and is $35, 35K hour rated. I think that is very reasonable for how bright it is. In 2 years not one Led has gone out.

I could always use brighter of course but it is not imperative. Now Feit has a 10k LM CornCob that draws 100W,25k hour life, $70 purchase price.

The 4k LM is a better balance of brightness/costs than the 10k LM? To me, yes it is very bright but kind of defeats the purpose of Led's. The power draw is very high and the cost of admission is very high. I am not sure this is a good overall cost of ownership to brightness value. Since I can use 4 18W reflectors and get even higher lumens combined at only 72W total. Plus purchase price for all 4 should be about $30.

I was just wondering what you guy's thought of the overall cost Vs. performance of this fixture? Factor in power usage, cost of admission and lifespan Vs brightness. It is crazy bright but I am not sure the cost involved is worth the brightness. When I can get brighter at much less cost using multiple bulbs.

Thank you

nitebrite

Enlightened
Well, I got it. I never thought I would say this but I think it is too bright! It is crazy bright. It would be all you need for a Football field during a NFL game. I am not exaggerating. I have a feeling even the 10k LM is very underrated, plus it is 5000k to add to the madness. I am not sure I will keep this. Honestly the 4k LM was bright enough but I never quit while I am ahead. You guy's would just have to see this, it is insane.

brickbat

Enlightened
The thing I've learned is what a 'security light' is. Basically, its a light source that's unpleasant to be illuminated by.

If you want pleasant outdoor lighting, go for multiple, low-intensity sources.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am surprised that Feit sells this without a Mogul base.
And I saw this at Menards, and now there are lights aiming toward the ground, for full omni-directionality.

nitebrite

Enlightened
Why would this need a E39? It does not produce anywhere near the heat of a 500 Watt Sodium. Heck it does not produce the heat of a 100W E26 incandescent. In fact I have it screwed into a fixture rated "60 Watt bulb max". Not stupid. It has 14AWG wires so will handle 1500 Watts. It is the Heat above 60, yet it has a ceramic socket. No problems yet and I do not expect any. Attracts flies like crazy. It is very bright. There is nice throw at 1000 feet. As far as security, lighting up your house like the sun tends to just attract attention. To thieves this says, "they must have something valuable inside". It is appropriate on Acreage though. Plus the entire home has bank level security. Alarm/Audio/Video. What I do not like is 25K hours for $70. The smaller one is rated 35k hours which is still not great. So you would think these get very hot but my laser thermometer is reading 72C. About a 60W incandescent. You can actually hold onto it for a bit. Plus the Clamp Voltmeter after 15 minutes was at 83.6W. That I must admit is very good efficiency for what this is. Also perhaps explains why it is Edison base. Feit has had recalls and Lawsuits so they try to avoid those things. The 4K Lumen fixture was fine when I puled it after over 4 years.

As for those Chinese $50 10k Lumen flashlights. I think this fixture pretty much explains those are BS.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
The larger base would not be for heat. It would be for size, weight, and stability.
The 300 watt equiv. yard lamp is large, this is huge.

nitebrite

Enlightened
That I agree with. They wanted more people to purchase it obviously. I have it hanging upside down held only by the socket. Not the best. I figured if I keep it, I will put a wire strap through it and over the fixture. Apparently it has to be that big for that much output. So That is not "honestly" happening in flashlights right now. Unless they are 5" in diameter and 5-6' long.