Jeep Wrangler JK headlight upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin.graves35

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

My first post here. I searched around the forum but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. I recently purchased a 2015 Jeep Wrangler JK and the headlights leave a lot to be desired. I've been doing some research and the JW Speaker 8700's and Truck-lite LED's keep surfacing. I'm not biased toward LED if there are better options out there. I also don't have the financial means to spend $500-800 on headlights right now. What would be my best option for around $200-300? I am in Massachusetts and want something that is of course road legal but also will not cause problems in the winter (if that's even a thing with LED's). I'm really just looking for someone to point me in the right direction. Lighting is not my strong suit...Thanks in advance!

Kevin

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Welcome to this board.

The JW Speaker headlamps are the top pick in terms of LED headlamp performance, and their 8700J model is a direct plug-in for your JK, but $410/set. There's a heated-lens version to deal with sloppy winter snow, but that's even more expensive. The Peterson 701C and the Truck-Lite are also good headlamps, less expensive than the JW Speaker, though with either of them you'll need adapters to plug the new headlamps into the H13 sockets on the vehicle and prevent the LED lamps from flickering. A heated-lens version of the Truck-Lite is available, but that's going to exceed your budget. Do you really need heated-lens lights? It depends on how much wet, heavy falling snow and thrown slush you have to drive through, at what kinds of outside temperatures. Lighter, dryer snow won't tend to build up even on cold-lens LEDs. If you don't need heated lenses, then a pair of the Truck-Lite or Peterson lamps with anti-flicker H13 adaptors could at least come close to meeting your $300 figure.

Very important: the Peterson and Truck-Lite headlamps are sold under some other brands (Truck-Lite = Rigid, GE, Philips; Peterson = Sylvania Zevo and KC might still sell it alongside their own LED lamps which are pretty severely overpriced) but don't stray off from these mentioned brands. There's a bunch of copycat junk, sometimes with a similar look to the JW Speaker or the same part number as the Truck-Lite, etc. None of it is worth a plug nickel, don't be tempted.

If LED headlamps aren't in the budget, then a carefully-chosen set of halogen lights would be the way to go. Exactly which ones would be a matter of some option, and you'd want to be careful because there's another big collection of junk on the market in halogen lights and bulbs, but tough to go wrong with these lamps and these bulbs, and you'd also need H13 to H4 adapters.

Most important of all: get the new lamps aimed correctly with an optical aimer.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a bunch of copycat junk, sometimes with a similar look to the JW Speaker or the same part number as the Truck-Lite, etc. None of it is worth a plug nickel, don't be tempted.

Which reminds me, Kevin: If it is claimed to be a JW Speaker product, but has a lower-than-believable price and ships from overseas, it's probably not genuine, considering JW Speaker makes these products in Wisconsin.

kevin.graves35

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the responses! I was not aware the 8700J was a direct plug in. Do you know if I'll need an anti-flicker harness? I might be able to convince my other half that it is worth it :twothumbs.

Do either of you know anything about the Quadratec Gen II LED lights? I've seen favorable reviews on them and they are pretty attractively priced.

I don't think that I'll need heated lights. For the most part if the roads are terrible my company closes. I may on an off chance be required to when I'm on call but that is few and far between.

After reading the link on how to adjust headlights, do you know if the recommendations you've made can be aimed in a Jeep?

Thanks for all your help.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do either of you know anything about the Quadratec Gen II LED lights? I've seen favorable reviews on them and they are pretty attractively priced.

We could spend all day listing the brands/models you don't want. It's SO much easier to just list the ones you DO.

The "favorable reviews" are by people who don't know any better. The "attractive price" is because they have no real engineering them, are made with poor materials, and cranked out on imprecise tooling.

kevin.graves35

Newly Enlightened
I figured as much. I've been reading a little bit about HID lights. In your opinion would LED or HID be better for a Jeep? Are there any plug and play options for Wranglers? I will be venturing out into the woods at night and lightning is obviously important out there. I'm still leaning towards the JW Speakers 8700 J series but the best price I've found for a pair is $480 on Amazon :( (just out of my budget). I guess I'll be eating Ramen for a while lol. With the 8700's, do you know if the 2015 Wrangler can run the half halo as a DRL? I've seen conflicting answers.

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
...Do either of you know anything about the Quadratec Gen II LED lights? I've seen favorable reviews on them..

Every aftermarket light with massive foreground lighting gets favorable reviews it seems. People love that effect. Which explains why so many drive around with their LED fog lights switched on, in clear conditions.

kevin.graves35

Newly Enlightened
Every aftermarket light with massive foreground lighting gets favorable reviews it seems. People love that effect. Which explains why so many drive around with their LED fog lights switched on, in clear conditions.

Agreed. Seems to be the trend around the northeast as well. I couldn't tell you the last time I had to use fog lights...

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I figured as much. I've been reading a little bit about HID lights. In your opinion would LED or HID be better for a Jeep?
Electrically and mechanically, LED is much better suited for the rigors of off-roading.

Are there any plug and play options for Wranglers?
Yes, the 8700J series (mentioned several times here, even by YOU) is about as plug-and-play as it gets.

kevin.graves35

Newly Enlightened
Well I guess I'm sold on the 8700J series! Any suggestions on places to look for a good price and customer service? Amazon seems to be at the front of the searches I've been running.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
You have to be careful shopping, including on Amazon, because there are a lot of fakes on the market. The link I provided in post #2 of this thread is a safe one.

rdonber

Newly Enlightened
Nice choice on JWSpeaker. I went with Poison Spyder headlamps because they are less expensive. So far, I have no complaints. They are significantly brighter than the stock headlights.

Last edited by a moderator:

kevin.graves35

Newly Enlightened
I've been running the 8700J's for about a month now and absolutely love them. I was able to compare them side by side to the some other LED knock-offs and the difference in quality/light output is night and day. I appreciate the help.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice choice on JWSpeaker.
The JW Speaker lamps are excellent.

I went with Poison Spyder headlamps because they are less expensive. So far, I have no complaints. They are significantly brighter than the stock headlights.

Did you get "Poison Spider" headlamps (toys), or genuine Truck-Lite headlamps? If the former, you spent hard-earned money to replace your factory headlamps with non-performing junk. They keep using "Poison Spyder" when describing the lamps which lead me to believe that not all is right with that product.

Sajk

Newly Enlightened
Poison Spyder are a well known high quality jeep outfitter. I see these lights advertised on thecweb using their logo but I only see truck lites on the actual poison spyder website so not sure what is going on here.

Perhaps someone has hijacked their brand and is selling truck lite knock offs that way.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Poison Spyder are a well known high quality jeep outfitter

If they sold you name-brand headlamps (Truck-Lite, Peterson, JW Speaker), fine. If not, they're selling headlight-shaped trinkets to people who think "Oh, yeah, Poison Spyder, that's a reliable brand". You really need to stick with legitimate headlight makers. Stray from that path and you're into dangerous/ineffective territory, no matter how bright they seem to you. There are enough legitimate choices, at a wide enough range of price points, that there's really no good reason to get off-brand junk.

So: What exactly did they sell you?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.