Inspection area light strips

Keitho

Enlightened
I have some experience with flashlight led, and only a little with fixed lighting. I'm the manager of an inspection lab that currently has terrible florescent lighting (not enough light, terrible color, not dimmable). I have a small budget, and willingness to do some labor myself replacing the lighting. My initial thought was that LED light strips might be the answer, but I'm open to any ideas. My dream system:
1. Multiple zones, individually dimmable (maybe 4-6 zones in a lab that is about 20' x 40' with 7 workstations)
2. Good neutral color for inspectors of machined components
3. After initial setup, no maintenance for several years (in use for 12 hrs per day, 5 days per week; hopefully at least 15,000 hours of trouble free operation)
4. Reasonable sources for components and replacement parts in the US
5. Not too hard to assemble and install for someone with basic electrical and carpentry skills

How impossible is my dream? Is it best to individually source strips, channels, covers, and controllers, or are there good packages out there that might save me some headaches?

Thanks in advance for the help!

ssanasisredna

Enlightened
I have some experience with flashlight led, and only a little with fixed lighting. I'm the manager of an inspection lab that currently has terrible florescent lighting (not enough light, terrible color, not dimmable). I have a small budget, and willingness to do some labor myself replacing the lighting. My initial thought was that LED light strips might be the answer, but I'm open to any ideas. My dream system:
1. Multiple zones, individually dimmable (maybe 4-6 zones in a lab that is about 20' x 40' with 7 workstations)
2. Good neutral color for inspectors of machined components
3. After initial setup, no maintenance for several years (in use for 12 hrs per day, 5 days per week; hopefully at least 15,000 hours of trouble free operation)
4. Reasonable sources for components and replacement parts in the US
5. Not too hard to assemble and install for someone with basic electrical and carpentry skills

How impossible is my dream? Is it best to individually source strips, channels, covers, and controllers, or are there good packages out there that might save me some headaches?

Thanks in advance for the help!

You could run into issues with dimming. You will want a high dimming PWM frequency. As you are likely not moving the object, over 1KHz would probably be okay, but may want to go higher. 3-5 KHz and up will negate any potential issues. Most dimmers for those light strips are low frequency PWM. Not ideal.

I do not know what size of objects, but diffuse lighting is a given, so that is a consideration. Strips can do that. It seems your issue now is most light levels than anything and potentially poor color (easily fixed).

Keitho

Enlightened
Good tip on pwm frequency, ssanasisredna. Objects being inspected are essentially stationary, 3d shapes, making diffused light from multiple angles a must.

Main issues now are insufficient lighting, color, tint, adjustability, and maintenance (there always seems to be at least one bulb out or flickering).

Any suggestions for a high frequency dimmer for a light strip, maybe 3A per zone? Remote for multiple zones might be nice, too...