Lithium AA's?

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
So it appears my flashaholism (weak though it may be) has come round circle again. Started my collections with AA lights and now I find myself running a 2xAA and 4xAA light in my glovebox (Surefire's went to the wife, the hotrod and the gun safe)... As such, I need to source some more durable options than alkaline or NiMH/LSD batteries. Historically, this has singularly pointed to Energizer L91 lithiums. Are these still in vogue or are there better options now?

I really don't burn through batteries with these lights as they are specifically reserved for use as glovebox lights (roadside repairs, emergencies, address finding, etc), though it would be nice if cost was sufficient to prevent a worry of excessive use.

Basically, I require three things.
1. Durability. I want to absolutely minimize leak risk.
2. Hot weather. Michigan summers can provide very hot car interiors.
3. Cold weather. Michigan winters can provide down to sub-zero temps (though routinely closer to 20-30F).

I know Energizer has those budget lithiums now but are they a better value or just lower cost? Anybody else in the game yet?

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
...... As such, I need to source some more durable options than alkaline or NiMH/LSD batteries. Historically, this has singularly pointed to Energizer L91 lithiums. Are these still in vogue or are there better options now?
I don't know that anybody else makes a battery like the Energizer L91. If you are going to keep a light in a glove box as an emergency light and not use it for 6 months, then for sure the L91's, but if you use it occasionally like I do with my glove box lights then I keep an Eneloop in it (I don't worry about heat or cold). And then I have some spare L91's also. Meanwhile since I periodically use the light, I'm not going through any expensive L91's. I have never seen an Eneloop leak. Definitely stay away from alkaline batteries unless using the light on a regular basis to the point that you are going through the batteries and thus you'd never get surprised by a leaked alkaline.

Not sure if this answered your question or not.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Energizer L91s are still very much in vogue and still the only option for long term and/or extreme weather storage. The cheaper non-"Ultimate" lithiums are not the same formulation and not at all on par with the originals, skip them in favor of the real deal.

NiMHs have no leak risk but can lose capacity/be damaged by temperature extremes.

Be sure to store your light where it is not only out of direct sunlight but isn't even where sunlight touches the space it's in; the glove box is iffy, door map pocket is good, trunk is best.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, lithiums are the most certain bet.

Eneloops are rated for storage down to -4 deg F and up to 104 deg F for up to 90 days. I don't know if they're indifferent to temperature cycling in that range, or if that shortens the total acceptable time spent at that temperature. Michigan might be able to beat both those extremes, especially in a car parked in the summer sun. Eneloops may very well still survive exceeding those conditions, but Panasonic isn't making any promises.

I've got an Eneloop in an E05 in my glovebox that's been ok for a few months of summer temperatures, but less than a year of use isn't much data, and western Washington is milder than Michigan.

Energizer Ultimate Lithium, on the other hand, is rated for storage down to -40 deg F and up to 140 deg F, and Energizer claims a 20 year shelf life.

carnage

Enlightened
I was looking at AAA Energizer Lithium at Walmart and the packaging doesn't say Ultimate Lithium, its say E2 lithium. Are the E2 and the Ultimate Lithium the same?

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
All my stand-by lights have eLithiums. Can't recall which (ultimate, e2, etc) but even my glove box light which has about 4 yrs on the batts, most of which was in hot hell Florida, are all still fully charged. Energizer built a hell of a primary cell for AA & AAA service imho.
Now that I'm in WI, I use them in my thermometer remote do it can still function below 0°f, as well as few other outdoor electronics. Now, if they only made them rechargeable....