7D Maglite in a smaller package

Minimoog

Enlightened
One of the nicer (in my opinion) facets of using higher voltage lights is the fatter, more solid hotspot - which unless you are spotting at a distance is more useful in lighting things up. This is caused by the longer length of wire actually burning.

So as an experiment I got my Mag 3D (which was practically unused) and kitted it out with the following:

3x3 AA holders
8 AA Eneloop Pro cells (plus one dummy AA)
7D Maglite bulb (8.63V, 0.5A)
Usual Mag resistance fixes (braid in spring and switch)
Glass lens

Well I am really impressed at the light from this light - perfect for walk around and general use and will run for over 4 hours on a charge. Its not as bright as my ROP, but its bright enough to be in my 'bright torch' class and to know that I am getting the same light as from a whopping 7D Mag in a much smaller package is cool I think.
The 6D bulb is brighter, but the hotspot is smaller and the current draw nearly 0.9 Amps - so less runtime.

I was inspired by an old hardware shop in a nearby town selling Mag bulbs at £1.50 for a pack of 2 and the faded old 7D packaging gave me this idea. Glad I did it now!

Sad to say that they had sold off all the actual Maglites early this year at £20 each - including the 7D model. Boo!

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Here's an easy one I did. Not a Mag, not 7D bright but it turned a 2C into a potent little thrower...

Up7BoOb.jpg

An early 1970's mini cop light.
I took a pair of LifePo4 18500's, a segment of 3/4" (19mm) pvc gas service pipe, and a 4D krypton versus the same sized light in stock form.

1CgqGG2.jpg

Left is the boosted beam.

COdQKVI.jpg

Mimics at least a 5D light

The light was made by a company that used the same parts for lights as big as 7 cells so I aint concerned about excess heat. I won't use the light for extended periods anyway.

Last edited:

swampgator

Enlightened
One of my favorite (pre ROP) lights was a 2C Mag running 2 18500s with a 7.2 volt KPR118 bulb.

Small enough to fit in a back pocket but more output than a Surefire 6P.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's an easy one I did. Not a Mag, not 7D bright but it turned a 2C into a potent little thrower...

An early 1970's mini cop light.
I took a pair of LifePo4 18500's, a segment of 3/4" (19mm) pvc gas service pipe, and a 4D krypton versus the same sized light in stock form.

Left is the boosted beam.

Mimics at least a 5D light

The light was made by a company that used the same parts for lights as big as 7 cells so I aint concerned about excess heat. I won't use the light for extended periods anyway.

Sorry, not to get too off topic but what kind of bezel is on that 2C in the background? Looks like a Streamlight bezel on a Kel-Lite.

Minimoog

Enlightened
Hey, thanks for the input - I love reading other people takes on this theme. Looks like we have all tried something similar.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Sorry, not to get too off topic but what kind of bezel is on that 2C in the background? Looks like a Streamlight bezel on a Kel-Lite.

RHDSQ6J.jpg

This was the way it arrived from Kel-Lite.com.

I've since added a 43.41mm ultraclear glass lens and popped in some 18500's (w/gap filler sleeve) with a 4D krypton.

SfS8XiR.jpg

Edit:
rPcjrcT.jpg

Make that a xenon...
More ringy beam but wow, wow, wow is it bright now.
The Brinkmann 4 cell krypton puts out a much nicer beam so the Mag Num Star may not stay...

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Here's my lineup so far:
IMG_20171105_110157.jpg

Note: each is 100% reversable

Vertical L to R:
1) Franco 2C from about 1921 using 2 LifePo4 18500's, a 3/4" ID pvc schedule 80 sleeve and an e10 model 162 bulb. A bunch of extra floody lumens from that fisheye lens.

2) 1940's Olin safety light using 2x 18500 LifePo4's, a 3/4" schedule 80 pvc sleeve and a K13 6 volt krypton bulb. A nice, general purpose beam with a spot that throws 75 yards easily.

3) Kel-Lite CPL-2 from late 1960's using 2x 18500 LifePo4 cells, 3/4" schedule 80 pvc sleeve and a Maglite LMSA401 4 cell xenon bulb. Lots of throwey lumens.

4) Maglite 2C classic from the late 1990's using 2x 18500 LifePo4 cells, 3/4" pvc schedule 80 cells and a 4 cell Maglite bi-pin bulb upgrade kit and a flashlight lens dot com akrylite lens whose slight difussion really cleans up the beam without affecting output. Throws like a Maglite should but much brighter than the 2 cell did.

Horizontal Top to Bottom:
5) 2 cell Maglite ML25 IT using 2x 18500 cells, 3/4" pvc schedule 80 sleeve and a Maglite 4 cell bipin. Rivals its LT conterpart with a nice toasty incan beam instead. Using the akrylite lens in this one causes it to look LED beam clean as well.

6) 3 cell Maglite ML25 IT using 2x 1amp low output 18650's, a 3/4" pvc schedule 80 sleeve, a Streamlight TL3 bulb and akrylite lens. I chose the TL3 bulb over Mag 5 and 6 cell bi-pins because it has a better looking beam. The 5 cell was brighter, but filament shadows were bad even with the akrylite lens. The TL3 bulb is brighter than the 6 cell bulb. Note, with extended use this one melts the reflector slightly around the bulb, but an LT reflector (with a larger hole) will work. Or you can drill out the hole a couple of millimeters, but I chose to keep it stock.

7) A solid brass number using 2x 18500 LifePo4 cells, a 3/4" pvc schedule 80 sleeve and KPR118 bulb whose tip and globe fit through the oem metal reflector opening. Other PR bulb globes were too large. A much brighter than 2c beam that is pretty floody due to a shallow reflector, but a fun flashlight anyway. Easily lights 100 feet well.

8) (note, not completed yet) 1950's HIPCO made house brand light probably sold in ma-n-pa hardware stores that'll use 2x 18500 LifePo4 cells, a 3/4" pvc schedule 80 sleeve, a Maglite LMSA401 xenon bulb and a vintage Rayovac 1-1/8" glass lens from the 1960's. I just ran out of batteries so it's built, but waiting on fuel.

I did this to some really old lights from the 1910's but the metal parts got very warm, very quickly so those ideas were abandoned. Therefore no pix of those will happen.

Pretty much any C size flashlight that was built with the same parts used in multi-cell lights will put up with the heat of this mod and provide a 5-6 cell brightness in a jacket pocket friendly flashlight.

I recently acquired a 3 C Kel-Lite and when it arrives I'll do a pair of low output 18650's and try out Mags LMSA 501 or 601 xenon bulbs in it. I'm thinking it'll be about 200 lumens with the 5 cell bulb.

Last edited:

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice!! What lithium ion batteries do you think are best for a direct drop in of a C cell or D cell? As I remember there aren't many D cell direct drop ins. I like these setups and I'm just looking for a nice easy way to run a 6 or 7 cell bulb in a 2C or 2D like you have.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I see some D cell called Saft, but they burst at 4a and sustain 1.8. I use Nuon cells from Batteries plus because they are low output type so they don't over drive a bulb more than an alkaline would (or at least not much more)

Or you can use 2x123 RCR with a dummy cell to get about 7 volts to a 6 cell bulb in a 2 cell light.

6 cell bright in a 2 cell flashlight is like starting from an intersection at the bottom of a hill in a wet snow. The key is to feather the throttle.

Now if you want whopping output in the hundreds of lumens, minimoog is the expert there. He builds in stuff for soft start, regulated output and has old lights that put out 4 digit lumen counts. I'm just trying to get 6D bright in a 2-3 cell flashlight.

At some point I'm going to get schedule 40 x 3/4" pvc and wrap it with electrical tape thick enough to fill most of the void between the D wall and PVC to make a semi permanent gap filler that allows 18mm cells to easily slide in and out. Early D cell battery packs were 2 double A's stacked, wrapped in tape then a cardboard sleeve to display the makers logo.
Member Irongate did that to some vintage C lights that were too narrow for even those carbon batteries made by Eveready and Rayovac these days that are slightly narrower than alkalines.

I'm not familaler with any "gentle" 26mm cell.

Last edited:

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks!! I was just looking for either a C or D cell LiIon with the same dimensions as an alkaline cell and was wondering what yall are running. I've always heard there isn't a great D cell LiIon out but I do have a few old C cell Mags and a ton of bulbs I've collected over the years so I thought this would be a neat project.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Those "Saft" D cells are 3.7 Lithium Ion, 13,000 mAh but I would fear they'd be bulb killers.

A company called PK Cell (no not that PK, I asked him) make some 26500, which are pretty close to C size. 9000 mAh 3.6 volt litthium ions. I've used their N size lithium cells and have no qualms with 'em. Kinda pricey at about $9 each for disposable cells. They also have D cell.
Nice gentle output though at 200mAh sustained and 400 max.

Last edited:

Minimoog

Enlightened
Those "Saft" D cells are 3.7 Lithium Ion, 13,000 mAh but I would fear they'd be bulb killers.

A company called PK Cell (no not that PK, I asked him) make some 26500, which are pretty close to C size. 9000 mAh 3.6 volt litthium ions. I've used their N size lithium cells and have no qualms with 'em. Kinda pricey at about $9 each for disposable cells. They also have D cell.
Nice gentle output though at 200mAh sustained and 400 max.

Concerning those SAFT batteries I was given a few to evaluate. While they have high mAh ratings the maximum current is only around 100mA, beyond which the voltage sags to zero (without much cell heating). They are used mainly in remote locations for storing data and back-up in event of main power failure. No good for lights at all - and I did try!

I'm finding either Eneloops are best for unregulated lights or rechargeable lithium for regulated (or direct for high power lights).

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys, I'm still trying to put together a D cell with 18mm Li-Ion cells, either 18500s or 18650s and I am having no luck finding pipe that works. I got 3/4" plastic gas pipe but it does not fit into the ID of the c Cell Mag and the inside has a large enough void that the batteries would rattle around quite a bit.

What are ya'll using for a spacer on a C cell Mag running 18mm cells?

Thanks!!

EDIT: For those who may have the same question someday. 3/4" HDPE gas pipe has a larger OD than 3/4" PVC pipe. You need to use the black PVC pipe and not the yellow HDPE pipe.

Last edited:

Noyb72

Newly Enlightened
Hello, new here and glad I found this thread as it's what I'm looking for. The only thing I don't see addressed is the new bi pin lights. I am not looking for something that is too bright for working close to my hands, just brighter than a 2D bi pin that is rechargeable. I think if I run 2x18650s with a 6D bit pin bulb all would be good, but I'd appreciate some feedback before I get started.
Thanks
Ron

bykfixer

Flashaholic
A 3C with a pair of 18650's will work with the bulb you mentioned.

ZBattery sells ML25's in the incan version or you can just swap out a bulb in a regular 3 C for the Mag bi-pin kit.

Last edited:

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're right FM but I much prefer the 5d bulb. Perfect bulb for 2 rechargable lithium cells. Runtime is great as is output and very white yet robust. I'm on my 5th charge cycle with mine

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're right FM but I much prefer the 5d bulb. Perfect bulb for 2 rechargable lithium cells. Runtime is great as is output and very white yet robust.

I am not looking for something that is too bright for working close to my hands, just brighter than a 2D bi pin that is rechargeable. I run 2x18650s with a 6D bit pin bulb

That's right. 5D bulb will be brighter and whiter (with shorter bulb life) than 6D bulb when using pair of 18650 in series.
I was responding to Mr Noyb72 question for smaller size M*glite but of course there are many other brighter bulb option for 2x18650

Noyb72

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all for your responses. If 2x18650 won't work with a 2D, can someone give me a recommendation? I have 2 2D bipin Maglights and want to build one along these lines and turn the other into a dirt rifle.
Thanks again.
Ron