Flashlight for a pilot

cefey

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I´m working as a pilot. Before/after flight I need to perform a walk-around, to check airplane for ice, damage, etc.
So I´m looking for a flashlight to have with me.
I tried to do some research, but I´m sure someone here knows a lot better than I do :)

So, this is what I´m looking for:
1. Compact. Since I´m going to use it only 1-5 minutes a day, some days, I don´t want anything big and heavy.
2. Warm light (neutral white), to see ice. I was told it´s a lot harder to see ice with CW.
3. Possibility to spread/focus beam.
4. In case it has several modes, it would be nice if I set in in "medium" or "high" and it stays in that mode whenever I switch it on/off.
5. Must tolerate some rain and cold (for short periods of time).

Now, what I´m not sure about.
1. Lumens. I found between 300 and 2500. No idea how much I need.
2. Batteries. AA? 18500? Rechargeable? Via USB or rechargeable AA? No idea what is best/what I need. How long it will last. But something rechargeable would be nice.

And this is what I found so far.
1. Fenix PD35 (many models, no idea which one I need).
2. J5 Tactical V1-PRO
3. NITECORE P12
4. Nitecore EC4S
5. ThruNite TN12 EDC

Thank you in advance! :)

archimedes

Flashaholic
Re: Flashlight for my work

Your post has been approved.

Please don't post duplicate threads, that creates more work for the mods.

There have been quite a few prior threads discussing flashlights for pilots, you may want to search this subforum for those....

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast

Do any of your coworkers use the lights you listed, and if so, what do they think?

2500 lumens is almost as much as a pair of car headlights. Surely you don't need anywhere near that much? Are you inspecting at arms length, or are we talking jumbo jets where the wing tips are 20 feet up, or where you need to stand 50 feet back from the wing to see the upper surface of the slats?

I'm guessing 100-300 lumens would likely be adequate, although these days it's pretty easy to find 18650-powered lights that can produce around 1000 lumens for a couple minutes at a time, including all those in your list.

Adjustable beam focus isn't very common though outside of Maglite or Coast products. A fixed beam flashlight with a moderately wide spot and lots of spill is a good compromise for most of us. The Fenix FD20 and FD30 are nicer lights that have focusing, and I think also mode memory, so give them a look if those are important to you.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast

A Nitecore EA11/EC11 is a nice single cell (AA/14500 or CR123/16340) light that has multiple modes with memory, and also have a red light mode for preserving night vision like in a cockpit. I have the EA11 because I can use either normal AA cells at reduced output, or 14500 Li-Ion rechargeable cells for higher output and cost savings. The Nitecore P30 would probably work as well. It uses one 18650 rechargeable Li-Ion cell, will throw up to 600 meters on Turbo, and has a nice pencil center beam with a very nice spill. You could use the lower modes for close-up inspection, and still have the ability to see the top portions of a FRED (Galaxy C-%). Since it is a single cell it wears well on ones belt, and carries well in a jacket/coat pocket as well. The large head that enables the long distance throw makes it very impractical for a pocket carry.

If you have the option, get a light with at least 90+ CRI. That will give you the best color rendition for identifying objects.

PaladinNO

Enlightened
Niteye (aka Jetbeam) EC-R16 is a very compact option. Multiple modes with memory. Single CR123A/16340 battery. Micro-USB charging port. 750 Lm max.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...echargeable-(XP-L-HD-1x16340-1xCR123A)-Review
Downside might be its tint is on the cool side.

Nitecore HC90 headlight. "Infinite" modes with slider. It also got Red/Green/Blue LEDs for various tasks while preserving nightvision. Single 18650 battery. Micro-USB charging port. 900 Lm. max.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-(XM-L2-T6-5mm-RGB-LEDs-1x-18650-2x-(R)CR123a)
Downside is likely the price.

I can definitely vouch for the Fenix PD35. It's been my EDC for over 2 years now, and it has never failed me (user error excluded...).
Pocket clip, included beltholster, multiple modes with memory. RGB filters available ("Fenix AOF-S"). Single 18650 battery. 960 Lm max.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-2xCR123A-RCR)-Review-BEAMSHOTS-RUNTIME-VIDEO

cefey

Newly Enlightened
Thank you to everyone for the inputs so far.

To the mode: Im sorry for the dubliacte. Posted twice in same thread.

PM
@iamlucky13
One of my co-workers got Fenix (I think FD20) and he seems happy. Otherwise I don´t have much to compare too, since I´m staying at a small base at the moment.

As for now it´s an A320/321. Tip of rudder is 12m/38ft. Usually there is no ice. But I still would like to have a good look at whole airplane before getting into it.
I have no idea how many lumens I need (Im not familiar with this unit, can not judge what is little and much). But based on what you are saying, I dont need 2500 for sure :)
I will take a look at those lights you mentioned. I did consider FD41, but decided it was too large, especially compared with PD35.

@
Timothybil
Thank you for the input! Nitecore P30 seems a bit on a bulky side for me. But I will add EC/EA11 to my list, thanks!

@
PaladinNO
Thank you for your post! Cold tint is not an option cause of the ice. And I´m not big fan of headlights. When hiking - yes. But for work I prefer grab-and-go. Especially considering I might need to use hat one destination, but not at the other (adjust size of the headband). Or I might need to use raincoat - I can´t cover my head. It would be easier with the hand-held light.
Thank you for input about PD35. It seems like a great light and was my fav. to buy, but I want to check on this forum first, so I don´t get something else than I need :)

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, if you are not flying in Alaska all the time, take care to buy a flashlight that is capable to dissipate heat from the emitter. Imagine yourself somewhere in Dubai with ambient temperatures of +30°C at night. Would you like to hold a small and hot light in your hand?

So better it be something on your belt than in a pocket.

Another point: if you are going Li-Ion way, but do not want to become a flashaholic with numerous flashlights and chargers occupying every corner, you might choose a rechargeable light.

Last edited:

cp2315

Enlightened
You might want to look at Nitecore MH20GT. fairly small, USB rechargeable, throws well, 5 brightness levels, max at 1000lumens

cefey

Newly Enlightened
@vadimax
Our company fly all over the Europe + +. So we have flight both to -35 in Moscow and +35 in Dubai :)
Out of my list + suggestions, which one does dissipate through the emitter? And would it be issue, since I need to use it for 2-5 minutes at a time?

I don´t understood your second point. Rechargeable via USB or to use rechargeable batteries (the one I take out and charge separately)?

@cp2315
Thank you for the suggestion. Noted and added to my list! :)

Johnnyh

Enlightened
cefey, speaking strictly as a passenger, spare no expense! Get a light that will light up that A320/321 like the Dubai sun and will allow you to inspect every tiny detail for, let's say, two hours. [emoji6] Ok, back to reality...just kidding...sort of...
I think in the perfect world, if money was no object, you should have an HDS Rotary High CRI 200 lumen. Ultimate simplicity and reliability. I know, it's way too expensive. But I would feel better.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cefey, all lights have to dissipate heat from the emitter, which goes out through the body. I think Vadimax was just suggesting not to get too small of a high power light because they can get very hot in the process if run for more than a couple minutes at a time. I don't think you're likely to have trouble with heat over 5 minutes of use, especially if you're not using it in max mode for part of that time.

Rechargeable via USB is very convenient for many people, since USB has become so ubiquitous. It should let you avoid needing to travel with a separate charger. Regardless of whether the light can recharge via USB, or requires you to remove the batteries to charge, rechargeable batteries are almost always the way to go for flashlights that get used regularly.

Like I said before, I think 100-300 lumens will probably be adequate, and I'll bet most of the pilots you work with have Maglites, Coast, or similar products in this range, with perhaps a few springing for Surefires or the lights discussed in this thread. You can err on the side of more than you need without making compromises these days due to the number of lights capable of nearly 1000 lumens.

TimeOnTarget

Newly Enlightened
I fly the 747, and I currently carry an OLight S2 Baton and an S Mini.

I have an Adventure Sport S2+ 18350 in my pocket right now while deadheading.

TimeOnTarget

Newly Enlightened
Has the FAA (US airline regulatory agency) finally wised up and caught with the times, or are they still requiring a D-cell Maglite as the emergency light?

Yes, there is no reference to D cell anymore.

I have never been ramp checked, but the Europeans like to hit our company quite frequently. You specifically have to have two pair of reading classes if you have a limitation on your certificate. I actually carry 3 pair just in case...

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
@vadimax
Our company fly all over the Europe + +. So we have flight both to -35 in Moscow and +35 in Dubai :)
Out of my list + suggestions, which one does dissipate through the emitter? And would it be issue, since I need to use it for 2-5 minutes at a time?

I don´t understood your second point. Rechargeable via USB or to use rechargeable batteries (the one I take out and charge separately)?

@cp2315
Thank you for the suggestion. Noted and added to my list! :)

Someone already explained. Yes, a massive body and "developed" external surface help in heat mitigation produced by a LED emitter. So, anything smaller than TN12 will heat up too much.

Good CRI (color rendition index) and high lumens are important I guess. Remember catastrophic result of covered pressure sensor openings with a silver duct tape? Pilots failed to notice that during preflight inspection. When a plane gained altitude the IAS readings became wrong, the plane lost speed, stalled and went into a deadly spin.

A USB recharging port makes a separate charger optional -- less to carry in your bag.

Last edited:

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
surprised nobody has mentioned the Surefire Aviator. This is their latest model (image ganked from SF's page)

View attachment 5951

smaller secondary LEDs provide low lumens for in-cockpit work, and main LED has 250 lumens for aircraft walk-around. Both modes accessed from the single tailcap button. Really, the only downside is that SF hasn't caught up with the times to allow a rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery for this. The good thing is that 250 lumens is not a big drain for a standard non-rechargeable CR123, so you'll have good runtime.

cefey

Newly Enlightened
Thank you, everyone!

Budget - adequate. As all lights I mentioned on my first post are 20-100$, that´s kind of my budget.
I need it for my job to use 2-5 minutes a day. 600$ is overkill for that purpose. Obviously, I don´t need THAT much reliability, quality, etc.
My thoughts is sub <100$. If it´s really good one and worth the money - I could spend more.

So, what I have so far - correct me if I´m wrong:
- Reachable, either via USB or AA. Doesn´t matter.
- Good CRI (neutral white). But where do I see it? Everyone one list lumens, but no one mentions CRI.
- I don´t need more than 300 lumens. However, if it does go upto 1000, it will not hurt.

So, what light of all mentioned by me and in this thread would you recommend?