Struggling to find the right 18650

MisterH

Newly Enlightened
Hello guys,

Nitecore have advised I need to buy 4.2v 18650 button tops with a protection circuit for the TM06s. I'm struggling to find a high-power version of these and don't really want to be forced into buying the Nitecore brand ones - I am sure I can get better or equivalent cheaper cells.

Is there a decent site that sells cells :D ? Amazon and eby etc seem to only offer ****fire which I have read on here can be mis-labelled/dangerous.

Please help - I've not owned a 18650 torch before and didn't realise it was such a minefield.

terjee

Enlightened
Normal LiIons are charged to 4.2V, while the "nominal voltage" is 3.6-3.7. This is probably what they mean.

For the physical package, there are two typical variations; flat top vs. button top, and protected vs. unprotected. The protected ones are slightly longer, because they include a small circuit disc. Some lights can use all four combinations, some require longer or shorter, and some require flat or button top.

Those are your primary limits. Aside from that, some lights require at least a certain voltage to be supported.

For your specific light, you'll need button top type, and (based on what I've read) the light seems to support protected batteries. The one I'd personally choose is probably this:
https://ru.nkon.nl/rechargeable/18650-size/keeppower-18650-3400-li-ion.html

It's a very good battery from a reputable manufacturer, it's not the most dangerous chemistry, and it's got some additional protection. Only thing left then, is to make sure it'll support the current of the light (if the light has a high drain warning), and that it'll physically fit. The specs look good for a fit, but it's hard to be 110% sure.

As for site site to buy from, NKON (linked above) is highly recommended for Europe, but I don't know where you live? You could try to google the specific battery, and let me know if you come up short?

Oh, and there's a 3500mAh version, but I'd go with the 3400mAh (safer chemistry).

Sharpie

Newly Enlightened
Liion Wholesale and Illum are my go to sites for REAL Sony, LG, Panasonic and Samsung 18650 batteries. Always authentic and always competitively priced.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
The brave do not use protected cells :)

[Sorry, removed the link. A buyer reported the cells to be discharged completely. No idea for how long. Might be dangerous]

Last edited:

MisterH

Newly Enlightened
Normal LiIons are charged to 4.2V, while the "nominal voltage" is 3.6-3.7. This is probably what they mean.

For the physical package, there are two typical variations; flat top vs. button top, and protected vs. unprotected. The protected ones are slightly longer, because they include a small circuit disc. Some lights can use all four combinations, some require longer or shorter, and some require flat or button top.

Those are your primary limits. Aside from that, some lights require at least a certain voltage to be supported.

For your specific light, you'll need button top type, and (based on what I've read) the light seems to support protected batteries. The one I'd personally choose is probably this:
https://ru.nkon.nl/rechargeable/18650-size/keeppower-18650-3400-li-ion.html

It's a very good battery from a reputable manufacturer, it's not the most dangerous chemistry, and it's got some additional protection. Only thing left then, is to make sure it'll support the current of the light (if the light has a high drain warning), and that it'll physically fit. The specs look good for a fit, but it's hard to be 110% sure.

As for site site to buy from, NKON (linked above) is highly recommended for Europe, but I don't know where you live? You could try to google the specific battery, and let me know if you come up short?

Oh, and there's a 3500mAh version, but I'd go with the 3400mAh (safer chemistry).
Yes, I am in the UK. Thank you very much for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it.

What's the danger of fully discharging a cell? Surely it has no energy left in it at that point so can't damage the torch. Is the danger around putting a dead cell on a charger?

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I am in the UK. Thank you very much for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it.

What's the danger of fully discharging a cell? Surely it has no energy left in it at that point so can't damage the torch. Is the danger around putting a dead cell on a charger?

Exactly. A Li-Ion cell when deeply discharged is tend to develop dendrites that perforate isolating layer between anode and cathode layers. At least older technology suffered that. When you put such a battery into a charger it starts to overheat. As a result that damaged battery may vent, catch fire or even explode violently.

But this may happen not with every over discharged cell. This is why we need DMMs and analyzing chargers. If a suspicious battery has normal internal resistance, do not excessively heat under charge, and displays adequate capacity after being charged fully, it may be considered safe to use.

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
The user manual for the TM06S does not specify high current cells, so normal protected cells should work just fine. I agree with Terjee, a 3400 mAh capacity cell, or even a 3200 mAh one, would be your best bet. Right now, 3600 mAh is the max capacity available, and my experience shows that for the slight increase in capacity, one pays a not so slight higher price. I have found this to be true for most quality 18650 cells.

Nitecore usually tells in their manual whether or not a button top cell is needed. In the case of the TM06S they don't, but I would err on the side of caution and use button top cells. When you say Nitecore told you, did you contact them directly to ask?

MisterH

Newly Enlightened
6a1be9326a452837d100e22f93d6d7ed.jpg
I bought these ATK cells from amazon in the end. So far I've had good results. Not being very scientific with testing and as I only have the one set I like to keep them fully charged. This torch is on call 😊

Thanks for all of your help and advice.