WW2 Air Ministry Aircrew Torch.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool !

It is so interesting to see the different beam patterns and mechanical operations of these vintage lights.

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Solid brass? Looks to be a very serious light for a time when most were plastic or stamped/formed steel. I'm guessed it has a singular bulb and that switch moves the plastic enclosure up and down for different colors right?

Very neat piece, I too would be interested to know more.

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Out of curiosity, why do you think this is a WW2 torch? The use of so much brass doesn't make much sense, and the Air Ministry existed until 1964.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Brass in the States was like gold in WW2 days. Perhaps the Brits had a bunch of extra?

Neato light though. A company called JustRite did one in the US that was a 2aa penlight with a lever the user pushed forward to place a pivoting red filter over the #224 bulb. Could also signal with the pocket clip that doubled as the sliding switch or the user could push down on the clip to make 2 metal parts connect.
It was plastic bodied with alluminum or similar alloy at each end, steel clip with a copper slider switch.

uOVi1uE.jpg

The green one was WW2 era and the bottom all alluninum with a twisty tail switch was Korea/Vietnam era.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Nice lights !

I like how modern thinking keeps trying to re-invent the same wheel. Yet oldies like the one you show in this thread got the job done very well. What seemed like good ideas back then are still being applied but through modern approaches.

What's old is new again and all that...

redvalkyrie

Enlightened
During WWII metals were definitely in high demand. However, look at how well made the weapons were. M1, 1911, Thompson, BAR...it's not hard to imagine that some troops within a division of the British military received very high quality lights. Brass was still used extensively on ships.

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
During WWII metals were definitely in high demand. However, look at how well made the weapons were. M1, 1911, Thompson, BAR...it's not hard to imagine that some troops within a division of the British military received very high quality lights. Brass was still used extensively on ships.

Regardless, I would be interested in knowing more about this piece, I've looked around a bit and haven't seen anything that comes close to the design and apparently high build quality of the OP's light.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
This is a WW2 aircrew Signal torch .It has two switches one changes the colour from red to green and clear.
It's really well made and working. Anyone seen this type and know the year of manufacture? It has an Air Ministry mark an ER which stands for Ever ready.

Cheers
A
f10da2d8739d86ea4ae0ac801c29b3ff.jpg

b8ebe40ceee19e841763c50b17146806.jpg

d4e6ebf1a743ddb0fde10582515e26e3.jpg

3d365a7b1b8477d229a3502d2510ef2c.jpg

16d26286d253b3ae2ed511a9cd65ddc3.jpg

I found a modern version...
It's called "executive" model.

2xB3ayz.jpg

No dual stage filter but I swear it seems to built using a very similar approach.

lOtJva0.jpg

Here it is in it's presentation box

hgnPY2H.jpg

Uses a twisty switch instead of a slider.

G2nyCoq.jpg

I wonder if you could do this (or similar) to yours Tone and make it conventional.
Either way it makes me wonder if the executive light is an evolved version of your light...