RIP In Mrs. Barbara Sinatra

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Just found out Mrs Barbara Sinatra, Frank Sinatra's wife passed away today.

Sad day for the desert, indeed. Mrs. Sinatra was the last of the "Old Guard," who helped build the valley and founded the Barbara Sinatra Childern's Center at Eisenhower Medical Center in Rancho Mirage.

Bad day for me, and my family as I was the Sinatras' photographer, here in the desert, for quite a while and covered events for them for years. Went to many parties at their house and other events, like his golf tournament.

In Dec. 1994, I took my future wife on our second date to his 79th birthday party as a surprise to her, and they wound up thinking she was a guest. There were only 30 people. Most of their parties were small groups. Not what you would think.

End of of an era for Palm Springs. It was an honor to have worked for them. Their favorite portrait is on my Web-Site. Taken Dec. of 1994 at the Vintage Club, Indian Wells, CA. Lee Iacocca was the host.

Thank you Mrs. Sinatra, who, was a fantastic advisor to my daughter. Our family will miss you.

Last edited:

Johnnyh

Enlightened
Wow...How lucky you are to have known them as you did.
My Daughter is an attending pediatrics physician at the Golisano Children's Hospital here in Syracuse, NY. There is no greater calling than to comfort and heal these littlest angels. Thank You, Mrs. Blue Eyes and God bless you.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, wonderful years, and an education in the process. The times have changed here, not, that you expect it, however, Sinatra would slip you a hundred dollar bill, sometimes a few, in your hand folded up in a square.

The people here today, would not slip you a nickel. Or a even Penney! That is why I don't work society events any more...there is no, high society here anymore.

I can't really convey how great this place was, and Sinatra was the guy who ran this valley! He would send unmarked checks to people who who needed money or could not afford funerals, things like that, all in secret. How wonderful!

Last edited:

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Ned,
Were you ever at their house late afternoon? The pool was shaped like a piano, and the design of the patio cover provided the ebony keys of the piano. Mrs S was a true class act, they both are missed, but they live on in the legacy of their philanthropy....

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eddie,

Yes, I have been to, the piano pool house, however, that is in Palm Springs. I think he had a fight with Ava Gardner there and some time in the 1950's moved to his last home in the desert at Tamarisk Country Club, where the Marx Bros. all had homes. This was the House Sinatra had a real caboose at, he loved trains. He had his hair cut in there in his own barber chair, and also had a cool model train set up.

So, his real main House would have beem at Tamarisk CC, just next to the Annenberg estate both on Frank Sinatra Drive, in Rancho Mirage. The Annenberg estate Called Sunnyland's, is at the corner of Bob Hope Drive and Frank Sinatra Drive, and he married Barbara Marx there in the middle of the summer in 1976.

He kept the Caboose covered so as not to offend other country club neighbors. I loved going in that Caboose, and Sinatra got me started on Jack Daniels...which I'm low on after yesterday's news.

I could could go on about all the people here, however I will cut it off now, and if any one has any questions I will be glad to answer them. I saw a lot of great things.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was at the last house(off Frank Sinatra Drive/next to Annenburgs). In the caboose he also had a scale model of his Gulfstream G-2(the newest, biggest and best at that time. Next to the pool were octagonal shaped "guest suites" to accommodate as many guests as needed. In some ways, that house was a dichotomy-both a museum and living testament to the history he was part of, his material success(the glass coffee table with probably the worlds rarest collection of Fabrege Eggs), and yet it was a comfortable "lived in" home. All who entered could truly relax, and the conversations were as real and down to earth as could be. Yet you might look over your shoulder and see awards and photos with numerous Presidents, Kings, and captains of industry. Did you ever see his guest appearance on "Magnum PI"? He was having a discussion in a diner, and he went off script and suddenly dumped a glass of ice water on the other guy's head-the producer loved it and it made the final cut. On a not so fun note, shortly after I met Frank and Barbara, I was standing in line at the grocery store and happen to peruse the scandal magazines. Frank was on the cover, and as I read the headline I realized I was one of only 3 people who had first hand knowledge of the topic. Despite the sick feeling in my stomach, I knew it wasn't me, I had a 99.5% certainty it wasn't a mutual friend, so it was obvious to me who the guilty party was-sure enough, she disappeared about 3 days later.....wait, I better clarify what disappeared meant...she was terminated from her employer and left the state rather than face charges.
It seems to me we are seeing a "changing of the guard", as truly great entertainers who could dance, sing, be a comedian at a moments notice and elevate the mood of a room just with their presence depart...today's talent just does not seem to compare...wow, I'm starting to sound like an old man....

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eddie,

How are right you are, there will never be another entertainer, who spanned decades like FAS did, I treasure my time doing my job with all the big entertainers who lived in the desert, and he did have a lot of amazing things in that desert home, tho one thing I always looked at, as an American presidential documentarian was a set of old fashioned glasses he had on his bar. There were only four and they that had the presidential seal and signature of JFK etched on them.

Funny thing is my mom was a friend of both Sinatra and Jilly Rizzo, and most of the society crowd here, don't ask me how? But she did, and Jilly had a House around the corner from FAS's, and he had a ton of memorabilia in there. I became good friends with Mr. Rizzo, who was a real wise guy, and the nicest person you could ever meet.. (Jilly, was Sinatra's very best friend, who had an untimely death coming out of Mission Hills Country club and Gerald Ford Drive. He was killed by a drunk driver, there are a thousand details, so I'll leave it there).

I put this post up to honor Mrs. Sinatra's passing, and not to go on about all the great memories I had, and you as well. PM me and we can compare notes, and let me if you are going to attend the funeral on Tuesday, maybe we can meet?

Otherwise, I think we should keep this to a memorial thread, there must me many people here who liked these people and the philanthropic activities they did for so many, here and worldwide.

Best wishes,

NR

Last edited:

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Red,
Ironically I was just admitted to the Sinatra Tower at Desert Regional Hospital in Palm Springs for an emergency surgery. Jilly Rizzo was a great guy. I started a PM so we can talk further. I'd love to hear any stories from anyone else who knew Frank or Barbara. One last story that Frank told( it is probably politically incorrect, and I apologize if anyone is offended). Dean Martin was on stage with Frank and Sammy Davis Junior, Dean spontaneously picked up Sammy, holding him like a life size Emmy award... he carried him up to the mic and said "I would like to thank the NAACP for this award"...the crowd roared, and Dean let go of Sammy, who was not expecting it. Although the crowd laughed thinking it was all part of the show, Sammy actually broke his hip. Despite developing a permanent limp, he never held it against Dean...I am hard pressed to find comparable talent that drank together, loved and laughed together and put a good portion of their earnings back into their "home communities" in philanthropy ...

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eddie,

That is a great story, and I have some Sinatra freak out stories, which I will save for later.

With that said said, Eddie, I think we can now tell the forum that we had a mutual friend going back 40 years, and we now can all be reunited because of this thread. I never even thought anyone around here would ever be on the forum, and it winds up someone I know through a mutual friend of decades, is on here.

I was truly shocked, and it is strange because I was just last week thinking what ever became of Greg, (He won't care if we use his first name)! Greg was one of the most decent persons I have ever met, and he was in the photo business before myself. He and Eddie have since gone on to bigger and better things.

Greg, and I met when we were both 18, (I was anyway), and worked together at the Radio Shack in Palm Desert, CA. In 1978. And, he is the one who brought me into the the CDF Fire as a volunteer at 18, he was stationed in Palm Desert, myself in Indio. This is hard for me to get a hold of, however, it is amazing! I still can't believe all of this is happening as a result of the CPF Forums!

So, let's all pray for Eddie's safe and speedy recovery from his surgery. He is in good hands at Palm Springs Desert Regional Medical Center. A hospital Sinatra gave huge, and I mean HUGE amounts of money to over the years.

This is not about flashlights anymore although we will get around to all that after we catch up. I don't even know what to call it?

All the the best to Eddie and the forum,

NR

And again, RIP, Mrs. Frank Sinatra

Last edited:

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
40+ year old acquaintances renewed due to CPF. Young men, dreams, hopes and ambitions. Separated by life circumstances and then 40 years later getting to see "the rest of the story" as Paul Harvey used to say. Mind blowing. Thanks CPF, sorry to go off topic, now. Back to the original thread