single LED

mercrazy

Newly Enlightened
i need a single LED to run on 12 volts. resistor current limiting is ok. i only need brightness of about a 50mA LED. it needs to mount in a 3/8" diameter hole or smaller, wires out the back end opposite the lens. a prewired 5mm part is probably not going to work. i would like a nut or clip on the back to hold it in place. it must mount in a 1/4" thick panel. anybody know of a part like this?
thanks.

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
i only need brightness of about a 50mA LED

Thats like asking how far can you ride a bicycle after eating a 100 calorie snack bar. well it depends, how heavy do you weight? is it uphill? is it downhill?

depending on the wavelength, LED component, etc you're looking at everything from 5 to about 30 lumens...

mercrazy

Newly Enlightened
i'm afraid a 5mm part will be too fragile. these could get banged around a little. i think i found one. it's a 6mm diameter LED bolt. it's probably too bright but i can choke it down with resistor. i'm unsure of the lumens i need at this point. as always, you guys step up with answers and ideas.
thanks for your help.

mercrazy

Newly Enlightened
oznium's 6mm part is perfect size but too low power at only 20mA. the wires are too small and will break from vibration. 50mA would be bright enough. i'm limited to 0.5" diameter or less and it must be very low profile. if anyone sees something similar, please let me know.
thanks