Review: Nitecore SRT7GT: XP-L HI (V3) + RGB+UV, 1000 lumens, 450 meters, (beam)shots

kj75

Enlightened
The Smart Ring Technology-series of Nitecore are the "all-in-one" members of the big family. All SRT-members are equipped with a smart selector ring for infinitely variable brightness. Recently, the most complete SRT got an update: the SRT7GT. The new XP-L HI V3 should increase the lights' throw; also it got a redesigned reflector with RGB-LED and also UV. So, I was happy that I got the chance to had my hands-on to this all-in-one made by Nitecore! In this review I'll show you the details of the SRT7GT; we'll have a look at the special features, and I will show you beamshots of every mode, also compared to some other lights.

a new member of the Nitecore SRT-family
taprlt.jpg

the tactical SRT7GT
281xb8g.jpg

powered by XP-L HI V3 and red, green, blue and ultraviolet
2ij6dmd.jpg

special feature: the smart ring for smooth operation
nf2nwn.jpg

a lot of functions built in only one flashlight
2zf4pzb.jpg

As usual, we'll start by having a look at the specs, given by Nitecore:
Features:

Designed for use in law enforcement, hunting and tactical applications.
The world's first line of flashlights to feature third generation SSR (smart selector ring)
technology
Smoothly and rapidly select brightness levels and function by rotating a smart selector ring
Utilizes a CREE XP-L HI V3 LED for a maximum output of up to 1000 lumens
Second generation of 'Crystal Coating Technology' along with 'Precision Digital Optics
Technology' provide extreme reflector performance
Boasts a peak beam intensity of 50900cd and a throw distance of up to 450 meters (ANSI
FL1)
High efficiency circuit board provides up to 240 hours runtime on the lowest output level
Equipped with unique multi-colored (red, green and blue) tactical / signaling lights
Versatile 500mW ultraviolet light at 365nm wavelength
Infinite brightness adjustment from 0 to 1000 lumens
7 rapidly switchable functions to select from
Multi-functional power indicator light displays low battery status
Patented spring-loaded impact absorption mechanism with reverse polarity protection
Stainless steel titanium-plated two-way clip
Stainless steel retaining ring protects core components from damage
Toughened ultra-clear mineral glass with anti-reflective coating
Constructed from aero grade aluminum alloy
Robust HAIII military grade hard-anodized
Waterproof in accordance with IPX8 (two meters submersible)
Impact resistant to 1.5 meters
Tail stand capability

Dimensions:

· Length: 6.22" / 158mm
· Head diameter: 1.57" / 40mm
· Tube: 1 / 25.4mm
· Weight: 6.1oz / 173gram (without battery)

And the output specs:
2iqcoc9.jpg

Unboxing:

Except the very big ones all Nitecore flashlights at the moment come in an equal package. Colorful, a lot of nice photos on it and most features of the light mentioned on it. The nice pictures show that the SRT7GT is meant for tactical use or law enforcement. The box is still a bit crampy, restoring the SRT7GT takes some effort. Except cells all we need is in here, including tactical ring, and spare button. So, again a nice a complete package. Please scroll down to watch some pictures about the box and the contents.

the box of the SRT7GT..
aoan1s.jpg

has the same looks as other actual Nitecore-cartons
3445mbs.jpg

colorful and with some nice pictures on it
rl9qw1.jpg

the contents: SRT7GT, holster, warranty card, manual, lanyard, clip, ring and spare parts
2wfn6zo.jpg

Impressions:

The SRT7GT reminds me most to the MH27 that I tried out in the past year. So the size and the shape wasn't new to me. The SRT7T is a mid-size flashlight and not a lightweight; but feels like a durable product that will last and survive for years. The light comes in matte-black; the anodizing-job was done well at my sample, I just detected some minuscule chips. Engraving job is also done well, it looks like Nitecore has improved the quality here. Tailstand is possible for the SRT7GT. Deep notches in the lights' head give excellent protection against accidentally rolling away and give better grip too, even when wearing gloves. Striking detail on the body is the smart ring that has little notches too for smooth operation. Also this ring is made of aluminum, luckily no plastic or something like that here, good point. Taking a close look at the lights head we see a small blue led: this is meant as a location indicator and will flash every two seconds when the light is in standby-mode. The clip can be added forward and reverse to the body; also a tactical ring can be added for better operation. Looking in the lights' head we see a restyling reflector that keeps both a white (in the middle) as three colored and an UV-led. I detected a minuscule spot in the reflector, but its dust free and the XP-L HI V3 is well-centered. Two lanyard holes at the tail, the lanyard can be fixed at the tactical ring too. The SRT7GT is made of three parts: Head, tube and cap. Removing the head isn't necessary. The thread run smooth, but needed some more grease in my case. Springs protect the head and the caps' inner against shocks. No problems found here, same good quality like my earlier Nitecores. In summary: Good built quality and finishing, no issues here. Scroll down for a couple of impressions-pictures and more details about the SRT7GT!

the Nitecore SRT7GT, familiar to the earlier released MH27-brother
ulyx2.jpg

a mid-sized torch
1zpmwja.jpg

can tailstand
2aj2l2b.jpg

not a lightweight, but durable feels
2ewzakh.jpg

the SRT7GT in hand
nn8bp2.jpg

in total five LEDS can be found in the head
168vjtz.jpg

the smart ring is the specialty of the light
24xntsn.jpg

excellent anti-rolling design
xdrudk.jpg

thanks to the notches in the head and the smart ring
ix4lzn.jpg

the complete version with added clip and tactical ring
2ykc8ib.jpg

the four color modes here
o1di0.jpg

and the UV-mode
fyg0sw.jpg

a well-built tactical flashlight

6jdkco.jpg

that has excellent grip
6qxkqt.jpg

a re-designed reflector for a lot of light-options
bfhrpw.jpg

a close up to the clicky
2db5mhz.jpg

a smooth reflector and perfectly centered flat XP-L HI V3 LED
29ejbic.jpg

the secondary LEDS have their own reflectors
2dkya6o.jpg

smooth running threads
d8g0y.jpg

a look into the tailcap
2jg2j5t.jpg

double springs, shock resistant
jjpnp2.jpg

the dark-grey bezel
2yzlaba.jpg

the SRT7GT in three parts with recommended cell
8x51js.jpg

removing the head isn't needed
2n0k2u0.jpg

no solder or glue rests in the cap
b7m74i.jpg

the SRT7GT hidden in the holster
1zfoe1z.jpg

with added lanyard, fixed at the ring this time
33e0kdx.jpg

the blue LED in the head is a location beacon
68zhoy.jpg

the ultraviolet LED in action; shining at some banknotes
2j3l2wz.jpg

User interface:

The SRT7GT isn't a lightweight, but feels comfortable in the hand. The grip is excellent, it's almost impossible that a light like this will slip out of your hand.. To me, best way to wear it is with ring and without clip. Just try out what best fits to you.

The SRT7GT needs to be powered by two CR123A or a button-top 18650-cell. A lot of Nitecores give info about the actual voltage of the cell(s) when inserted, the SRT7GT doesn't have this feature. If the battery is around 50% or below the blue indicator on the head will flash every two seconds (when the light is on). When it flashes rapidly the cell needs to be replaced and charged. Although I like actual voltage indication over this system, this way of power indication will prevent against an unexpected depleted cell.

The clicky at the tail is the "main" switch of the SRT7GT. This button is only for momentary or constant-on. Half press for momentary; all white and (special) color modes have momentary-on, I like it! Full press it for constant on, the light can be controlled fully by the smart ring now. Use the ring for desired mode by turning it clockwise or counterclockwise. The SRT7GT can be turned off by using the smart ring too, but will go in standby-mode than. In this mode, the blue "location-LED" just above the ring will flash every two seconds. In this mode, you can fully control the light using only one hand. Turning the ring clockwise (from off) will bring you in white mode from only 0.1 to 1000 lumens. Variable brightness is not an all-day feature on a flashlight, but it works well! Also the very good moonlight is a great option here, I seldom met a light that has such a lowest output mode as this SRT7GT! Next step/click will bring you into strobe. When you turn the ring quickly to have highest output in a second, the risk of accidentally activating strobe is there. Turning the ring counterclockwise (from off) will firstly bring UV; next click red, after that green, blue, red/blue flashing/strobe and the last click brings white beacon. The color modes are only for short distance, don't expect far throwing beams here. But for night reading (red or green), inspection (blue) or checking bank notes (ultraviolet) these modes are sufficient. I have to admit that I never met such a complete light like this one before, that was equipped with almost every color mode available. All modes work without issues, no problems found here. I would like to see some (fluorescent) icons and a brightness-indication for white above the ring; now you often have to guess in which mode the SRT7GT is.

A great plus for me to this interface is the variable brightness and the easy way to preprogram your desired mode. On the other hand, there's the lack of any instant mode; the step between for example red/blue flashing and strobe can be too far for some users.

Modes:

Normally in this chapter I'll tell you about how many white modes, the spacing etc. The story is different now: Between 0.1 and 1000 lumens you can choose your desired output. A great feature, I'm sure a lot of users will like it. Two special white modes here: STROBE and BEACON. A bunch of color-modes on the SRT7GT: UV > RED > GREEN > BLUE. All these modes have only one output level. There's one special output mode here: RED/BLUE FLASHING/STROBE. This mode should be a police-warning signal; but in my region this is unknown. The SRT7GT misses an accurate voltage indicator, but has LOW BATTERY WARNING. Easily LOCK-OUT the light by releasing the tail cap a little. As you can see, the SRT-series are equipped with a lot of (color) modes.

ATR:

This means Advanced Temperature Regulation and will protect against overheating. Barely noticeable when the light is used for short times, but when the light is on longer time, the output will automatically decrease. No full steps down, but dynamically. Because I mostly use my lights for short illuminating, and not for long search jobs, I can't exactly give charts or something like that about ATR.

Size comparison:

I took some lights that have an equal format and several color-options for this comparison. Later, when we go out for the outdoor shots, I'll use these three to see how they perform!

18650-cell, Nitecore MH27, Nitecore SRT7GT and Fenix TK32-2016
3358w79.jpg

Nitecore MH27, Nitecore SRT7GT and Fenix TK32-2016
2ui85dw.jpg

Nitecore MH27, Nitecore SRT7GT and Fenix TK32-2016
10x4hue.jpg

the heads: Nitecore MH27, Nitecore SRT7GT and Fenix TK32-2016
fth3zt.jpg

main white LEDS are all XP-L HI V3
f3fkpi.jpg

the tails: Nitecore MH27, Nitecore SRT7GT and Fenix TK32-2016
30a6dlh.jpg

Tint:

The SRT7GT has a cool white tint, less neutral than the Fenix TK32-2016 and equal to the MH27-brother. To me ok, and luckily no green or purple tinge here.

2n652yo.jpg

Beamprofile:

The deep reflector and this kind of emitter will give the light a rather tiny and bright spot, a small corona and big spill. Not a surprise here, I think. The beam has a visible ring at the edge, this is visible outside too. To be honest, I've seen nicer beamprofiles.. The color-LEDS have their own (little) reflectors; these "quarter-beams" are equal to the MH27 that I tested earlier. Maybe it should be a better option to the manufacturer to place the color LEDS also in the middle. This would create better throw and nicer profiles. No defects or PWM found in the white beam, good point.

Beamshots:
Starting with the beamshots chapter now! Because the SRT7GT has infinite brightness between very low 0,1 and 1000 lumens, I'll show you "only" seven levels, both indoors and outdoors. Starting by projecting the torch on a white wall; firstly the lowest and the highest mode shown. Distance to the white wall about 0,75 meters.

Camera settings: ISO100, WB daylight, F/2.7, 1/125 sec, 35mm
97l7c4.jpg

288qwq8.jpg

Now, an animation picture of seven (random selected) output modes.

a GIF of the white output in seven steps here
amtz5c.jpg

Now, the color-modes here (except UV); same distance to the wall, same camera-settings. Strange fact to me (and my eyes) is that the 3 lumens of the blue option seem brighter that the 13 of the red output.

Camera settings: ISO100, WB daylight, F/2.7, 1/125 sec, 35mm
2po4ggn.jpg

2cgm2qs.jpg

2m4ps7n.jpg

Let's see now how this light performs outside! I took my shots at same way as inside: Maximum seven steps for white output mode. Firstly starting by showing the very low 0,1 lumens and the brightest 1000 lumens mode.

Camera settings: ISO100, WB daylight, F/2.7, 4.0 sec, 35mm
2n6asfl.jpg

nvntw0.jpg

Here's an animation of seven (random selected) output modes, from ultralow to turbo. The very low mode of 0,1 is barely visible at the picture here, it is a real "firefly" mode!

animation
wh1y0i.jpg

Showing the SRT7GT in a shoot-out against the MH27 brother that has the same reflector size and also the same emitter. Throw is almost equal, the beam of the MH27 looks slightly better.

the SRT7GT against the MH27 brother, both on turbo
2nhf91x.jpg

A direct shout-out against the Fenix TK32-2016 now. Again, the throw is almost equal, the beam of the Fenix has some "ears", but doesn't have a ring around the beam.

a shootout against the Fenix TK32-2016, both lights on highest output mode
f9fvbs.jpg

Now, I´ll show you some pics of the color-modes! The shots were taken in an old barn this time; the white caravan and classic car give a nice impression of the output of the SRT7GT. Because the MH27 has exactly the same color-LEDS, I picked another "RGB-Nitecore" for comparison: the CB6. Below a pictures of both lights, the CB6 has besides the main white emitter two RGB-LEDS and also a powerful blue XP-E4 bulb. You can clearly see at the beamshots that the single LEDS of the SRT7GT are much brighter that the double 5mm emitters of the CB6, but the CB6 has a better profile. The blue XP-E D4 of the CB6 is the brightest blue LED in my collection.

the Nitecore SRT7GT and the CB6 next to each other

28a790d41c3f618a3ad0e5cf8d6e6d0d.jpg

Camera settings: ISO100, WB daylight, F/2.7, 4.0 sec, 35mm

Much brighter: the red mode of the SRT7GT.

b5f90bc5b7863fd4d5372c1d52d1b629.jpg

0e5b63254335b76df6de099aa79ee4db.jpg

The green option of the SRT7GT is the brightest color-mode of the light.

5e8ca3e96f3513daf528b18d462ad360.jpg

ec8b1079a6491aa08dc68e1a14160082.jpg

The blue option seems to have more output than 3 lumens.

6abe61c802e2bb4fcf0bbdd95f5e3f80.jpg

d4203f4cae92013e533404743b2ece42.jpg

Again the blue mode; now compared to the XP-E D4 of the CB6: the light has amazing blue output!

0184960ea98d1d799d3e3d8c3a7b276b.jpg

2878c3d9a06ece9d40ac73ca9a455cb1.jpg

Conclusion:

The SRT7GT has a lot of similarities to the MH27-brother that I tested about a year ago: The throw and output are about the same, both use the same LEDS, but the SRT7GT is the better option for those who like to have a built-in UV-option. Big difference between the two: the interface. To me, the infinite brightness adjustment is one of the strong points of the SRT7GT. The light has a real firefly option! I would like to see some marks under the ring to see better in which mode or brightness-step you are. The color modes are made for illumination at short range, when you need more output you can go for the Chameleon-series or pick one of the accessories that are available, like for example the color filters. Another difference between the lights: the MH27 is rechargeable. Should be a nice feature on the SRT7GT too; I would like to see a Nitecore with built-in power- bank too. Nothing to complain about the overall quality: The SRT7GT is well built and finished. The SRT7GT is a very nice all-in-one that has very good throw and fits in your pocket.

Nitecore SRT7GT provided for review

2i0bwoi.jpg

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the review kj75 you still take some of the best pics on any of the forums! I got this light. Have the original as well. Prefer the original. Still waiting for any of the reviewers to post some more technical output tests. My copy showed up with an off center emitter. Having to turn the ring an extra 4 or 5mm through each secondary mode to get to the next one kind of kills the Smart Ring feature in this light for me. Nothing happens to the secondary beams when that extra movement happens the output does not brighten or dim it is just slop really. Huge letdown of a light. Had I not discovered the amazing new Acebeam L16 I almost swore off lights for a long time I was so disappointed with the new GT....

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review. Man, look at that dark ring between the hotspot and edge of spill. Damn shame.