5mW green laser 3.3V at 1AMP - why such high current, is it cheap componentry

Andre_2017

Newly Enlightened
I bought 8 green laser diode modules from a vendor on Aliexpress.

The diodes were speced at 2.8V - 5V operating voltage. available in 10 mw and 20mw
I asked if 5mW could be supplied. they said "yes".

When the diodes arrived, they had a sticker on the outside of a antistatic bag, stating "3.3V 1amp", instead of the 2.8V to 5V.

Our power pack produces 5V so we couldn't use the power back and now temporarily are using 6 x AA batteries @ 3Vs to power 4 lasers.
Because of the current of 4amps for the set, the lasers kill the batteries in about 30 or 40 minutes.

I expected a current draw of 300ma to 500 ma each
Can anybody tell me what the high current suggests..... Is it just cheap componentry... the lasers were about $30 each.

Because of the high current and the incorrect voltage, they are useless for our purposes.. But I'd like to know if we had been dumped with a cheap product.

OldUncleHo

Newly Enlightened
I wonder if the diodes are basically a 'raw' part that could need additional electronic circuits or components to limit and control the feed to assure
proper operation?

Accutronitis

Newly Enlightened
If they are "modules" they should have a laser diode "driver" inside the modules, If they do then 5V should be what power to use and the drive supplies 2.8V to the diode.

If they are just diodes you need to get a laser diode driver for them and do not put power to them directly or you will kill the diodes for sure......

Last edited: