new life for an old LEEF

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Latest project, create a torch out of an 18650 LEEF body.

This is a high quality body, but the bezel end has internal threads. Let's make up a P60 converter.
9XB8Ha.jpg

Everything was going well, but managed to catch the parting blade on it and it messed up the threads somewhat. So this image is of me (clamping the head in the chuck frustratingly) pressing ahead to finish the concept. I'll eventually remake this, but it was a good learning experience.
PetVWO.jpg

After cleaning up the threads somewhat, it fits well enough to continue. The next step is to make an extension to fit into the .70" neck to take up the space between the top of the 18650 and the bottom of where a stock P60 dropin would fit. McBrat helped me out with this suggestion.
JbRpXH.jpg

Interestingly enough, it looks like the RPM tail is too long for the body. I'll look into it deeper, it may just be that the McClicky switch isn't set in there properly. As it's about 110° and high humidity, it may be a while before I head back to the shop to finish this up. It's always the case for me that when I make up a custom part, that I immediately think of a couple ways that would make it better.

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
An extra 18650 body? That's tempting, certainly. Since I've posted this here and on Flashlight Fanatics page on Facebook, several people have told me they have one of these bodies, but never did anything with it. It's a shame, these are nice items. That's why I feel like bringing this one back to life.

I've since learned that this is a Leef 27LT body. Image by our fellow moderator

**edit to insert image properly.
qTAl8N.jpg

~D

Good project. I have an extra one of these if you're interested.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
I've since learned that this is a Leef 27LT body. Image by our fellow moderator....
~D

Yes ... maybe the last item I ever got from Lighthound :awman:

I haven't tried a wide variety of other "PD-series" (McLuxIII) parts, but I suspect the threads/fitment may be compatible there, too.

As always, be sure you know what you are doing in terms of safe voltage and related, before considering any "mix-and-match" ;)

Last edited:

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Archimedes, I suspect you are correct. The threads are standard 20tpi, and if I remember correctly, .760" OD, which seems non-standard.
The basis of this exercise was to convert this to accept a standard P60 dropin. I've been experimenting with optics-based dropins, so I should make up one for this torch.

t33ZFT.jpg

I haven't tried a wide variety of other "PD-series" (McLuxIII) parts, but I suspect the threads/fitment may be compatible there, too.

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
So this is finished for now. A couple things I could do to clean it up a bit, but that may be put on hold.

cCqFgo.jpg

Thanks to an idea from McBrat, this was a successful conversion to a P60 format. I made a delrin spacer that fits in the neck extension.

8TzXHP.jpg