Need bump in the night light

kmonroe

Newly Enlightened
Purchase method: Online

Budget: Up to $300.

Format: I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size: Smaller than "large."

5) Emitter/Light source: I don't know; I assume LED

6) Manufacturer: Any including self assembly if components are identified

7) What power source do you want to use? Any rechargeable but not required; lithium the least

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option: I want a separate/stand-alone charger (this involves removing the batteries to charge)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Bump in the night light for house and back yard; max distance in back yard to fence ~ 30 meters.

9) Flood vs Throw: Unknown - not all throw, not all flood. I would call it medium throw with flood

9a) Distance: 5 to 3- yards

10) Runtime: 90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Very Important

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply): I don't know

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. I don't know; prefer Hi-Lo, or Hi-Med-Lo; no strobe.

14)Material/Finish/Coating: Don't care

15) Water resistance: At least IPX4, prefer IPX7

16) Storage conditions: In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)

17) Special Needs/extras: None

Last edited:

Keitho

Enlightened
A Noctigon Meteor M43 is on my nightstand, and another is near my back door (a pair is less than your budget). Not sure if it meets your definition of "smaller than 'large'", but it is a tiny light for its output. I love the beam indoors and in my relatively small backyard: a really nice flood that makes me smile every time I click the button. The UI is exactly what you asked for; the caveat is that I needed to watch an online instructional video in order to figure out "UI#3" programming so that I could customize mine to "turbo-med-low" (single click on to turbo, double click to cycle through modes; each mode is infinitely adjustable during programming, which was simple to me only after I saw it demonstrated on a video).

The only requirement that you mentioned that the M43 might not meet is suitability for backpacking. For me, backpacking means that weight is absolutely critical, and means that I leave my M43 behind. When I backpack or bike-pack, I have some combination of bulletproof, ultralight, single-cell Zebralights; the exact combination depends on the duration of the trip, time of year, whether I plan on solar charging, and my expected activity during dusk and dark hours. They show my preference for flood and CRI; they are also the best lumen-hour-per-gram performers that I could find in their respective classes (18650 and AA): SC600Fd III+, H53Fc, H600Fw III, H502r (red). Those 4 lights retail for $316 total, and weigh (empty) a total of 165 grams, which is less than half the empty weight of the M43.

Enjoy the research; your $300 budget opens up many cool possibilities that I'm sure others here will have fun with! lovecpf

kmonroe

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! The "backpacking" was leftover from the basic needs form and I just took it out. It's good do know your thoughts though!

A Noctigon Meteor M43 is on my nightstand, and another is near my back door (a pair is less than your budget). Not sure if it meets your definition of "smaller than 'large'", but it is a tiny light for its output. I love the beam indoors and in my relatively small backyard: a really nice flood that makes me smile every time I click the button. The UI is exactly what you asked for; the caveat is that I needed to watch an online instructional video in order to figure out "UI#3" programming so that I could customize mine to "turbo-med-low" (single click on to turbo, double click to cycle through modes; each mode is infinitely adjustable during programming, which was simple to me only after I saw it demonstrated on a video).

The only requirement that you mentioned that the M43 might not meet is suitability for backpacking. For me, backpacking means that weight is absolutely critical, and means that I leave my M43 behind. When I backpack or bike-pack, I have some combination of bulletproof, ultralight, single-cell Zebralights; the exact combination depends on the duration of the trip, time of year, whether I plan on solar charging, and my expected activity during dusk and dark hours. They show my preference for flood and CRI; they are also the best lumen-hour-per-gram performers that I could find in their respective classes (18650 and AA): SC600Fd III+, H53Fc, H600Fw III, H502r (red). Those 4 lights retail for $316 total, and weigh (empty) a total of 165 grams, which is less than half the empty weight of the M43.

Enjoy the research; your $300 budget opens up many cool possibilities that I'm sure others here will have fun with! lovecpf

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love open minded recommendation requests. You've left plenty of room for suggestions without being overly specific. If your maximum required range is only ~30 meters, then you might prefer a strong flood light. My bump-in-the-night light is a Wildcat version 6 from Malkoff devices. It uses 2 x 18650, which are charged externally. This model offers a choice of beam tint, has a robust build quality with fully potted electronics, and a simple user interface. It will completely illuminate everything indoors and everything outdoors beyond your mission distance. Made in the USA with a lifetime guarantee. Plus you won't have to use your whole budget. If you decide you'd like more reach, then I'd suggest the Malkoff Hound Dog.

kmonroe

Newly Enlightened
I assume the MD3 vs MD 4 body would just affect run time (beside size)? Would [h=1]Panasonic NCR18650B 3.7 Volt 18650 3400 mAh be good/[/h]
I love open minded recommendation requests. You've left plenty of room for suggestions without being overly specific. If your maximum required range is only ~30 meters, then you might prefer a strong flood light. My bump-in-the-night light is a Wildcat version 6 from Malkoff devices. It uses 2 x 18650, which are charged externally. This model offers a choice of beam tint, has a robust build quality with fully potted electronics, and a simple user interface. It will completely illuminate everything indoors and everything outdoors beyond your mission distance. Made in the USA with a lifetime guarantee. Plus you won't have to use your whole budget. If you decide you'd like more reach, then I'd suggest the Malkoff Hound Dog.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I assume the MD3 vs MD 4 body would just affect run time (beside size)? Would Panasonic NCR18650B 3.7 Volt 18650 3400 mAh be good/

You are correct regarding size vs. runtime. However, I think you will want button top cells. This is true regardless of whether you run 18500s in the MD3 or 18650s in the MD4. You could also run it on primaries, if you were so inclined, but you would need a battery sleeve to take up the extra space inside the 18+ mm tube.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Malkoff Hound Dog is my "bump in the night" light. The HD has a nice combo beam with some throw and simple high/low operation with the a bezel twist.I use the MD4 body but the OP could go as small as the 18650 HD and still stay around the requested run time range. Easily within the $300 budget,the Turnkey 18650 Hound Dog (light,battery and charger) is about $200.

kmonroe

Newly Enlightened
I decided to try the Malkoff Wildcat with MD4 body. Now I'm afraid of future Malkoff addiction!

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I decided to try the Malkoff Wildcat with MD4 body. Now I'm afraid of future Malkoff addiction!

Very curious about your impressions. Which beam tint did you choose? Malkoff Rules!
IMG-0861.jpg

Ataleoffiction

Newly Enlightened
I have a plain old Surefire 6P using an M61W drop in from Malkoff with a twisty tail, and an Olight R50 Pro on my nightstand on the opposite side I'm sleeping. Since you want more of a flooded, the Acebeam EC50 Gen II is currently the class leading single emitter single 26650 flashlight. It's honestly not that big. I like the size in my hand, and you can get it Ina more neutral white than my Olight. The battery provides for a wonderful runtime as well