Looking to possibly get a new work light

Wdp57

Newly Enlightened
I've been using a malkoff hound dog for a few years now, most recently the single 18650 with the high/low switch and love it. Its been rock solid and really couldn't ask for much more but would like to see what else is out there and possibly give another light a try. I work in a big city police department so dependability is the number one thing I'm looking for.

1) Purchase Method---online

2) Budget---ANY, really looking for the best and most reliable option out there or if I should just get a newer version of the hound

3) Format---handheld flashlight

4) Size--- anything up to about 10in, preferably around the 6-8 in area

5) Emitter---led

6) Manufacturer--- any

7) Power source--- preferably rechargeable but can use 123s or a sleeve with 123s

8) Lumens--- as many as possibly with the light still being stone cold reliable with good battery life. A reliable 600 lumen light beats an iffy 1000 lumen light everyday for me

9) Flood vs Throw--- a good mix is preferred at least able to illuminate over 100ft

10) Runtime--- as long as possible, 2hrs preferred

11) Durability--- most important, needs to be as close to 100% reliable as

12) Switch--- tailcap, clicky possibly one closer to the front of the light as well but not mandatory

13) Modes and interface --- at least a high/low. Quicl access strobe would be a nice feature. Also intersted in the user programmable interfaces

14) Material/finish/coating--- any as long as it's durable and needs to be black in

15) Water resistant ---ipx 8 preferable

16) Storage--- car, locker, duty

17) Special needs/extras--- as close to bomb proof and 100% reliable as possible

Thank you

Johnnyh

Enlightened
When I think of bombproof I think of Elzetta. Oveready sells a version that is bored for 18650 if you want/need rechargeable. Elzettas are pretty basic (no programming) but very dependable. Oveready BOSS and HDS are well known for durability also and have many modes/features but are almost double the price of an Elzetta. And as you already know, Malkoff makes very dependable lights and have some of the best. For dependable service and especially for customer service, all of the above are great companies.

Last edited:

Wdp57

Newly Enlightened
I tried to copy and paste the format before I started but it kept messing up on my phone. Thank you for all the links but most of them seem to just suggest another malkoff which I am not against and I'm possibly considering the super hound dog which is a little on the big side for me and not sure how well it would do on an md3 body. I am just curious to see if there are any other lights similar to them. Im even considering a custom light as long as it would be what I am looking for

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
I tried to copy and paste the format before I started but it kept messing up on my phone.

Your format, as used above, works just fine

Thank you for all the links but most of them seem to just suggest another malkoff which I am not against and I'm possibly considering the super hound dog which is a little on the big side for me and not sure how well it would do on an md3 body.

Malkoff (and Elzetta) are very highly regarded here for this general category of use.

I am just curious to see if there are any other lights similar to them. Im even considering a custom light as long as it would be what I am looking for

Although a custom and/or programmable flashlight is not typically requested in this category ... since you did mention that (again) , you may wish to evaluate the suitability of the OR BOSS, as well as perhaps certain HDS models, for your purposes.

Wdp57

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the help and I've narrowed it down to 3 possible choices and if anyone has any experience with them specifically those in law enforcement or if you are rough on your lights

1) Stay with the malkoff or possibly treat myself to a new one md2 or md3 with hound dog

2) Oveready BOSS 70 in black, possibly the combo deal. Not sure yet and no experience with them but they seem bomb proof

3) Prometheus Alpha possibly the MIL/LEO version. Haven't heard much about this version of it but it looks and sounds great

Utefan

Newly Enlightened
As I've been scrolling these threads, I've read so much about Malkoff hound dogs. It sounds like you've already owned one and i'm looking for input! I've seriously considered it, looked at it..But being in LE, I'm having a hard time getting past how big the head of the light is. Does it hinder you? Do you keep the light on your belt? If so, does it get in the way/is it uncomfortable? The hound dog keeps popping up as a recommended buy by a ton of people, so i'm sure they're spectacular....Just having a tough time getting past the width of the head and picturing myself driving around with it in a patrol car. The body length seems to be ideal! Any input is greatly appreciated.

Wdp57

Newly Enlightened
I keep the light on my belt and it doesn't get one the way at all for the last few years . I have been using the hound dog 18650 so it's a little smaller but still reaches out a good distance and definitely easier to carry than the larger one which is still not hard to carry. It has been dropped, used to knock on doors, dropped in water and pretty much anything you can think of and only failed once. It was actually the battery that failed, after changing the battery it was working like nothing ever happened to it. I'd highly recommend it personally and definitely trust it, I just wanted to see of anything else was out there but probably am just going to keep using the hound dog. If it works great then why try and fix something that's not broke? Hope this helped

arKmm

Enlightened
Sounds like you've described the Streamlight Stinger DS LED HL perfectly. Has everything you're after I believe. Dual switches, right size, quick access strobe, etc.

The Streamlight Stinger has been around for ages in various generations so it's very easy to get LEO belt holsters for them with many options available.

Last edited: