Best 3-way LED?

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's the current pick? Would like something high-CRI and preferably brighter on high than "100W equivalent" if such a unicorn exists.

My last 3 way incan just crapped the bed, it's been a while since I've bought any LED 3-ways and I'm not sure what all is out there. I'm using some older Cree ones in a few lamps but they are no longer available and I'm hoping for something better. I see the Philips 465146 is 150W equivalent but no CRI listed other than ">80". if nothing is better/brighter I'll probably end up with a Cree SA21-16027MDFD-12WE26-1-11 as that is listed as 85 CRI (is there any higher CRI 3-way available?) and I can pick it up at the Orange Colored Store for not much coin. Looking for something around 2700-3000K.

I don't know why since it is so hard to find good non-incandescent 3-way bulbs most lamps made still are 3-ways, but I guess that is one of the great mysteries of the universe.

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I couldn't wait so I bought both the bulbs mentioned above, herself tried the Cree first and found it bright enough in the application so I returned the Philips without opening the package

It's working well so far... Can't really evaluate light quality as it's behind a lamp shade but I am really trying to only throw my dollars to companies that make bulbs with more than the bare minimum 80 CRI.

bandits1

Newly Enlightened
From what I can see, there is a lot more selection now in 3-way LEDs than there was a couple of years ago. And by "a lot" I mean more than just one or maybe two choices. But the specs on even the newer models are, IMO, still wanting. Most are 2700K and I like 3000K, and there are no high CRI(90+) models that I can find. I settled on a Feit A30/100R/LED. It's 3000K with a CRI of >80 which is better than most which state their CRI as a straight 80 with no > before or + after the 80. It's remote phosphor with that weird mushroom design which I think may help distribute the light more sidewards and down rather than up towards the ceiling, which is ideal in your standard table lamp.

Kind of expensive compared to other brands, even on Amazon, but there aren't too many choices in 3000K.

61d1_Dnv_Sj_ZL._SL1000.jpg

nitebrite

Enlightened
People think Feit is low end. No, it is top of the line. To me it is important high output A19 bulbs have a lot of heat sink area. Those smooth bulbs that look just like regular bulbs will blow in no time. The bulb you got has such a good heatsink you should have no problems. 150W comparable or like 25+ watts is serious heat. I found that bulb threw most of the light straight up rather than omni though. You won't believe this but the higher end Walmart great value bulbs are high end. It seems Sylvania makes them. The 3 way with the "claws" is very nice. Price is not too bad of course. Like that bulb is $2 or something. I think it puts out well over 2,000LM.