EU members, what is current situation with 18650/flashlights on airplanes?

CuriousOne

Enlightened
Hello.

I might have some business trip to EU next week, so I'm interested, do they allow 18650's, flashlights, etc. battery products on domestic flights? say flight from Amsterdam to Stockholm? Do you have any recent experience?

maukka

Enlightened
As long as you carry them with you, they're fine. Maximum battery pack size is 100Wh.

terjee

Enlightened
Unlimited number of 18650. Spares only allowed in carry on, and I recommend all in carry on. Do protect them properly as well, you don't want any shorting out mid-air.

I regularly fly with around 10-12 of them, and never had an issue.

Phlogiston

Enlightened
Over the last year, I've flown between UK airports, and also between the UK and Iceland. I had 2x18650 (both inside lights), 8xAAA NiMH, 2xAAA alkaline, 2xAAA 1.5V lithium, 8x hearing aid batteries, a tablet, a mobile phone and a Bluetooth earpiece. Nobody batted an eyelid.

terjee

Enlightened
Sorry CuriousOne, I meant to reply to your last comment here, but it must have slipped.

Like Phlogiston said, no problem with NiMH.

I'd even say that any questions you might get are more likely to be idle curiosity than anything else.

If you want, you can take out any major battery packs and lay them separately in a box going through x-ray, to reduce the chance of them having to run things through a second time. That's about the worst you seem to be risking though.

If you (or anyone) wants to bring a printout to be on the safe side, then this is it:
https://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr/Documents/passenger-lithium-battery.pdf

I wouldn't take it out unless anyone is confused though.

Also, while it does say LiIons are allowed in checked luggage inside equipment, I highly recommend bringing it as carry on. Nobody wants a LiIon-fire in the cargo hold.

CuriousOne

Enlightened
Thanks! I'll be taking 8 pcs of AAs for my camera flash and two 18650s for the flashlight. And side question, I'll be staying in Deventer, NL for 4 nights. How long orders on nkon.nl take to deliver on in-country orders? and I won't be getting tax exemption, right?

terjee

Enlightened
Since there's no answer yet...

When I order from NKON, delivery is to Norway, but I have noted that they usually ship fairly fast. If you estimate 3-5 work days, I'd be surprised if it didn't arrive in that time. Can't promise it though.

As for taxes, I don't think you'd get tax exemption shipping from NKON to anywhere in the EU. I do get exemption (Norway is not an EU-member), but I pay it on import for packages above NOK 350,- (about $45 / €37) including shipping.

Not sure how your accommodations are, but can you order a few days before you go there? If you can, I'd imagine things would work out just fine.

CuriousOne

Enlightened
Thanks, I talked to them directly and they said that delivery to Deventer will take 1 day, and I will have to pay full amount, but after leaving the country, if I will send them scanned copy of special, tax exemption invoice, they will refund me the difference.