Best led's for less than $200

Whosthisguy

Newly Enlightened
Hi lads.

It's all in the Title.
Looking for the best led for less than $200.
It will be used in a mining environment.
It needs to be powerfull, rechargeable, very tough, last for at least 10/12hours, dust proof and waterproof would be good but can do without.
I was about to buy the f1r or the p7r led lenser but I heard I could possibly get better for the same price.

Thanks for your help boys.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an h25 wave headlamp from olight. It has a battery pack that can also charge your USB devices. I tend to turn off the wave feature as it sometimes turns off when I don't want it to, plunging me into darkness. There is a sensor in the front of the light that turns the light on if you wave your hand in front of it. The light has a good balance between throw and flood, but I feel they should've had a moonlight setting as low is too bright in some circumstances.
It's on sale at illumn.com it's a great u.s. store

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess you may pay attention to an Eagletac T25L-R (the kit version). It even offers a Nichia 219C LED as an option. This one gives less performance, but much better color rendition. At its lowest setting of 43 lm it claims to last 70 hours. Of course, with a kit 3500 mAh battery.

1.jpg

Andrew & Amanda offer the neutral white kit version for $113, for example.

Last edited:

Keitho

Enlightened
When I need high lumen (>200) runtime for many hours with a light in the same size range as the Ledlenser lights you mentioned, it means I bring extra cells and swap them. For 10-12 hours of runtime on 1x18650, you're talking about 160 lumens or less. Zebralight SC63 will do 160 lumens for 10-12 hours, as will the H600 III headlamp. ZL lights are known for efficiency, quality, fully potted electronics, and small size/weight. $79-$89 plus about $7 per high quality battery.

I love my SC63w and my H600Fw III: they are the warmer, higher CRI, slightly lower lumen versions, which I highly recommend.

terjee

Enlightened
Mining as in caves?

In that case, I'd really like to back Keithos recommendation. You could also get both flashlight and headlight, and still have money to spare (for batteries?).

Couple of things to consider for mines, caves and similar:

How far do you need the light to go? I could see myself wanting a more floody light, that spreads the light out rather than having a single bright spot that reaches very far, or a "spot and spill" that'll have a spot, but also illuminate pretty broadly as well.

I'd consider backup to be tremendously important, so two lights at least.

If there's any risk of fire or explosion, it might be important to look at intrinsically safe lights. None of the lights mentioned here are.