Water Cooled LED Flashlight :)

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

This is something I've been wanting to experiment with for a while now. I feel like this proves yet again that thermal path is king...

Please let me know what you think of the project.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Love the idea, but man is that some ugly implementation; starting with a computer water-cooling kit might make more sense, and look a lot better..

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Subscribed!

Maybe someone will build a forced air cooling, compact 2X 18650 XHP70 with maybe 3 inch reflector. I have a ~1.5" biscuit fan blowing on cooling fins attached to the motor on a radio control car (fan purchased from thetoyz.com some time back)...

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Just need to make a light that is designed to work in a jar of water.... a water lantern.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Do this but with a light source:

G6die15.jpg

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for the idea with the computer water-cooling solution.

There are already multiple water-cooling systems for different fan sizes and quantities. I like your idea but I think for a longer possible runtime you need to use active cooling for the used coolant. The ice will melt and the water will get hot and then the cooling capability will degress. If you use an active cooling solution you will only be restricted by the amount of batteries you can carry ;-). But in your setup the active cooling system should be easiely integrated.

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Subscribed!

Maybe someone will build a forced air cooling, compact 2X 18650 XHP70 with maybe 3 inch reflector. I have a ~1.5" biscuit fan blowing on cooling fins attached to the motor on a radio control car (fan purchased from thetoyz.com some time back)...

Sounds ambitious.

Do this but with a light source:

G6die15.jpg

+1 for the idea with the computer water-cooling solution.

There are already multiple water-cooling systems for different fan sizes and quantities. I like your idea but I think for a longer possible runtime you need to use active cooling for the used coolant. The ice will melt and the water will get hot and then the cooling capability will degress. If you use an active cooling solution you will only be restricted by the amount of batteries you can carry ;-). But in your setup the active cooling system should be easiely integrated.

I'll be shopping around....

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
you'll want a jet of water directed at the backside of the MCPCB

you could even try cutting micro-grooves on the copper MCPCB to increase the surface area