speaking the language???

PoorlyTiedFly

Newly Enlightened
Hello all
I am brand new to the forum and relatively new to the hobby. Really enjoying myself so far with the very few lights I have collected. One thing that I would love some direction on is how to learn to "speak the language" and better follow the posts of members. Is there a post thread, youtube video or book that introduces newbies to the hobby and offers tips/information to educate?

Thanks!!

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF ;-)

If you go into the New Members Welcome thread there is a FAQ-post, there you will get alot of information on how to start into this hobby. Have fun and keep an eye on you wallet ;-).

ven

Flashaholic
Your encyclopedic knowledge of past and present CPF threads is a phenomenon, sir.

+1 to that

Poorlytiedfly, just enjoy the ride and ask away in the appropriate forums. No need to be fluent in flashlight lingo off the bat. As time goes by you will be taking CT(colour temp), LEDs ,bins,tints and know your IMR from your EDC in no time.

Reading over various threads and research is your best friend, all daft questions welcome as long as I can give daft answers ;)
:welcome:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Ahhhh, the TLA. These days three letter acronyms are taking place at a pace which causes new folks to say "huh?", "whut?", "how's one supposed to know all this stuff?"

But there are 4 basics
1) color temp (and color rendition index) that are popular topics
2) LED chip models and manufacturers. Further from the letter A and higher number means newer, but some offer a better spot while others better spill
3) spot vs spill. That is something that indicates how far a light tosses the beam (throw is a term) or how well it brightly spreads out light while not blinding the user.
4) model numbers are known to many here and you will see numerous items repeated such as certain models of Fenix, Malkoff, Zebralight and others.

All of these lead to topics that at times combine the terms, phrases and numbers. There is also a thread on understanding the basic LED brightness terms like lux, candela and such.

You'll be an expert in no time.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Your encyclopedic knowledge of past and present CPF threads is a phenomenon, sir.

+1 to that

Hahaha, thanks :D

Poorlytiedfly, just enjoy the ride and ask away in the appropriate forums. No need to be fluent in flashlight lingo off the bat. As time goes by you will be taking CT(colour temp), LEDs , bins, tints and know your IMR from your EDC in no time.

Reading over various threads and research is your best friend, all daft questions welcome as long as I can give daft answers ;)
:welcome:

Yep, that about covers it ...[emoji106]

ven

Flashaholic
Exactly kelmo,
maybe someone could help me understand eagtacs model numbers......................:duh2::confused: After all this time i am no better off;)

ClimbToGlory

Newly Enlightened
Those links just saved me so much bloody work! Hahah! I've been confusingly just guessing what things were and googling flashlight parts for weeks now! Right About as confusing as it gets sometimes!