Battery charger and flashlight error

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yesterday evening I went through some of my flashlights to check the batteries. I took the EagleTac MX25L3 in the hand and it felt by the weight like the cells were in it. I tried to switch it on but no light. I asked my self if it has a lock out function activated which I could have forgotten. I removed the tailcap and yes; three cells were in it. Then I placed the cells in the charger and got a shock. How could this be possible? I knew about parasitic drain but such a huge and only for one of the cells?

Here is a picture from when I first placed the cells in the charger.

After a while the voltage had raise to 0,4V on the cell to left and a marginial increase than initial for the other two also. I interrupted the recharge for a walk and when I came back and started the charging again it showed this:

I assume that the charger gave the wrong information first time(probably a contact issue) and all cells were around 3V(a protected cell can't be discharged to 0,2V and if so it could not restore to be ok again, right?). But if so: why didn't the light turn on?

Now all cells are fully charged to 4,2V and the light works properly.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe the protection HAD kicked in. Isn't it about 2.6 - 2.7 area?
Then it reset when you put it in the charger, if they were in series it only needs one cell to trip.
At least your cells aren't stiffed.
P

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe the protection HAD kicked in. Isn't it about 2.6 - 2.7 area?
Then it reset when you put it in the charger, if they were in series it only needs one cell to trip.
At least your cells aren't stiffed.
P

That sounds like the explanation. Usually I don't leave lights with low cells for extended period but easy to miss with so many lights to take care of...