Compact NOAA walkie

7hns

Newly Enlightened
What is the smallest consumer walkie talkies that has NOAA and can use rechargeable and primary batteries? Built in LED flashlight would be great as well.

mightysparrow

Enlightened
In a quick search, here is what I've found:

Smallest with all the features you want might be the Cobra ACXT645 - although I am basing this guess only on photos and my past experience looking at various models in stores. It appears this product might be discontinued by the manufacturer, although I did find that Best Buy and Home Depot appear to have stock available online.

The Uniden GMR5088 and 5095 also seem to have the NOAA weather channels and an LED light.

Other products that appear to have the weather channels but no LED light: Motorola MU350R, T460, T465, and T480, and the Midland GXT2050VP4 and GXT1000VP4.

Last edited:

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up a BaoFeng BF-F8HP a few weeks ago from Amazon that might meet your needs. The only drawback is you will need to have a license to broadcast.

mightysparrow

Enlightened
I picked up a BaoFeng BF-F8HP a few weeks ago from Amazon that might meet your needs. The only drawback is you will need to have a license to broadcast.

That's creative thinking - I didn't think of the fact that the 2-meter band would include the NOAA frequencies! I have looked at the BaoFeng HT's as an option for my use during my club's weekly 2-meter net. I like the price - not a major disaster in case of a mishap. The BF-F8HP looks like a great radio - but I assumed 7hns was thinking of the FRS radios in asking about "consumer walkie talkies."

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's creative thinking - I didn't think of the fact that the 2-meter band would include the NOAA frequencies! I have looked at the BaoFeng HT's as an option for my use during my club's weekly 2-meter net. I like the price - not a major disaster in case of a mishap. The BF-F8HP looks like a great radio - but I assumed 7hns was thinking of the FRS radios in asking about "consumer walkie talkies."

Keep your eye out for a sale on Amazon if you are interested in buying one, I purchased the radio for $45 during the prime day sell. I ordered a third-party programming cable but ended up canceling the order for the cable and ended up buying the OEM cable after reading reviews. Apparently, third-party cables have issues with the USB driver built into the cable. After receiving the radio and cable I downloaded the CHIRP software and have had no issues downloading the local repeater database as well as local police and fire frequencies.