About The Fenix CL25R's charging current

Jesse_hoang

Newly Enlightened
Just got myself a Fenix Cl25R . Firstly, it's a greatlight !
But i'm a little bit confused as it's Manual says " it takes about 2.5h to fully charge a 2300mAh Fenix ARB-L2-2300 Lion 18650 Battery", it means the charging current is supposed to be about 1A, right ? but i measured it and it was only ~0.36A
20177f039bc1-c2d1-4a32-abdf-d061d0c7aeb1.jpg

The battery was at 3.5 vol, i've also changed some good charging docks and cables but it's still the same

Jesse_hoang

Newly Enlightened
How full was the battery at that point, the drawn current reduces as it reaches 100%Or change charger or cable.John.
i did mention above, the battery was at 3.5 vol ( ~ 32% full) and i did changed some good chargers as well the cables but it still makes no sense

terjee

Enlightened
If it follows the normal LiIon charge curve, it'll start to slow down when the cell reaches 4.2V. Voltage will raise when you're charging though, so if you want to make sure, you might want the battery to be less than 3.8 or even 3.7 when you're measuring the battery with no load, before you start to charge.

Also, it might mean it'll get it to full charge in 2.5 hours with normal usage, which means the numbers might be based on starting with a cell that's not fully discharged.

terjee

Enlightened
Oh, and I forgot the most important part: 0.35A at 5.2V roughly equals 0.5V @ 3.8V. You have to account for the different voltages as well, so you're actually charging faster than the 0.36A would imply.

Jesse_hoang

Newly Enlightened
After more than 3 hours of charging, it hasn't been full yet. Tomorrow i'll go get some more devices and do the test again.

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor
Jesse hoang: The Fenix engineers have read this thread and have some comments for you:

"What type of charger the customer used for the CL25R charging. ( Did the customer try charging on the computer or laptop?)

From the user manual, we recommend using a power adapter with output over 5V, 1.5A. It takes about 2.5 hours to fully charge a 2300mAh Fenix ARB-L2M Li-ion 18650 battery.

So please help to ask the customer for this information and tell him to try on the power adapter with output over 5V, 1.5A to see if they have the same problem."

Will you please provide us with that information so we can assist further.
Thanks

Jesse_hoang

Newly Enlightened
Thank you Fenix
i use a 2A adapter ( a good one, which is from Xiaomi) and the cable came with the light.
yesterday i found out something: if i disconnect the battery by unscrewing the tail cap and connect it before charging the light, the charging current will be around 1A. But if i charge the light right after using it, the charging current will be below 1A or nearly 1A sometimes
Jesse hoang: The Fenix engineers have read this thread and have some comments for you:

"What type of charger the customer used for the CL25R charging. ( Did the customer try charging on the computer or laptop?)

From the user manual, we recommend using a power adapter with output over 5V, 1.5A. It takes about 2.5 hours to fully charge a 2300mAh Fenix ARB-L2M Li-ion 18650 battery.

So please help to ask the customer for this information and tell him to try on the power adapter with output over 5V, 1.5A to see if they have the same problem."

Will you please provide us with that information so we can assist further.
Thanks

Last edited: