What Next After The Nitecore HC90?

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love to go horseback riding at night. I typically use a Nitecore HC90 headlamp and have a Klarus XT12GT in my pocket or in my hand. I really like the Nitecore HC90, but, like many flashaholics, I want more lumens. What is the next headlmap that I should consider? I want to stick with one that has the battery and light contained in one unit. The separate battery pack lights are just one more wire that I don't want to deal with.

Anyway, what else is out there these days? Should I stick with a single 18650 headlamp? Are there other, bigger batteries that are self contained in headlamps or is the 18650 pretty much it right now?

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think u really need to forget about that extra wire and look at something like a fenix hp30r. A great headlamp with better runtimes more power and beam profile options.

TCY

Enlightened
1000 lumens is pretty much the gold standard for single 18650 lights right now. Anything above that, the light heats up and steps down so quick it wouldn't be practical. If you are after more lumens out of a single 18650 headlamp the Olight H2r and the Armytek Wizard/ Wizard pro can pump 2000+ lumens but like I said, they heat up and step down quick.

Keitho

Enlightened
My personal answer to "what's next" for my headlaps, especially outdoors, isn't heavier or higher output lights, but better color light. I gave away my 1x18650 headlamp because it was too much for me on my head. I prefer the warm, high CRI Zebralight h53c much more. I'm not sure if that would be bright enough from the back of a horse, though. If you wear a helmet to ride, you might check out light mounts suitable for 1x18650 bike lights. I use 1x18650 lights on my bike helmet, and get nice light for about 2 hours outdoors on 1 cell (SC63w or SC600FdIII+).

Kaa_

Newly Enlightened
Or maybe longer runtimes at 1000 lumen? I have the Fenix HL60R for equestrian use and they have some similarities.

Rekkie

Newly Enlightened
I'd actually like to see a single CR123A sized headlamp from Nitecore, like a half-sized HC30. Similar to the likes of the Olight H1 Nova, Fenix HL50 etc. But that's because I'd like something a little lighter as I use mine for trail running, and I don't need 1000+lumens for that. It's handy as a boost mode.

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore HC90 Vs. Olight H2R Nova

I was wondering if the Olight H2R Nova would out perform the Nitecore HC90?