[USA] looking for a high quality, small AAA light with button

bombardior

Newly Enlightened
i am following the template as below, but essentially just want a bright, triple AAA battery powered, small light, that is well constructed (hopefully titanium) and has a tail clicky switch. other things are less important. essentially no budget. i liked the surefire titan plus but it is unfortunately a twist light which I hate.

Thanks in advance!!

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____Up to $300.
____Essentially unlimited.

3) Format:

____I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:

____MICRO - Keychain size.
____TINY - Every day carry (2-4 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:

____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

____I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
____I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).

7) What power source do you want to use?

____I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Alkaline batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

____I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).
____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).

____SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

____Wide Flood: I want a defined flood area for semi-close tasks like after-dark campsite tasks or working on a car.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)

____Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
____5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
____30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
____90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).
____Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
____Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).

15) Water resistance
____None needed

16) Storage conditions
____In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Your request for AAA alkaline power largely eliminates the higher end of the output you want, but otherwise something like the Tool Ti mostly meets your criteria above.

Of course, if 10440 power is an option you would consider, that opens up many more higher powered choices.

Last edited:

bombardior

Newly Enlightened
ah ok, so be it. the small AAA form factor is more important to me than brightness so i'll pick the AAA over higher power.

i'm loving the model you suggested, especially seeing it has both Ti and copper finishes as options. is there anything similar to this that is more expensive but also more 'upscale' and better finished perhaps? still using exotic materials like brass copper or Ti?

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the Lumintop Tool. It is also available in copper and anodized aluminum. I think Massdrop still has a couple of days of offering a brass version as well. The brass and Ti versions have a flat electronic button on the tail, which means it can tail stand. The copper and anodized versions have a regular button, although the anodized version can be had with a non-switching magnetic tail cap, which would allow it to tail stand as well. Unfortunately, that turns it into a twisty which you don't want.
All of the above can be found with a Nichia emitter instead of the more normal CREE, which means a little less output by much better color rendition.

archimedes

Flashaholic
ah ok, so be it. the small AAA form factor is more important to me than brightness so i'll pick the AAA over higher power.

i'm loving the model you suggested, especially seeing it has both Ti and copper finishes as options. is there anything similar to this that is more expensive but also more 'upscale' and better finished perhaps? still using exotic materials like brass copper or Ti?

Yes ... there were a few runs of the LF2XT in Ti, along with some other (even rarer) exotic finishes :whistle:

Keitho

Enlightened
There are some custom lumintop dukes at skylumen.com that look awesome, if you want an exotic material option.

chenrazee

Newly Enlightened
The Massdrop Brass AAA Pocket Flashlight is a modified Lumintop Tool and comes with the same titanium tail clicky that the titanium version of the tool comes in. It has 3 modes, low (5lm/36hrs), medium (32lm/4hrs) and high (110lm/30mins) if you select the cree emitter. I opted for the Nichia for its high cri at the expense of a few lumens. It runs beautifully on a single AAA Eneloop. It has a smooth ring-free beam thanks to the OP reflector, more than enough throw to light up the path ahead of you despite its wide, floody beam and a glow-in-the-dark o-ring to help locate it should it drop while pocketing it. I'm not sure about the titanium version, but the brass warms up a little after a few minutes on high so it doubles as a hand-warmer on cold nights. ;-)

P.S. The "drop" comes up fairly frequently, due to the popularity of the flashlight. I think it costs under USD$30.

terjee

Enlightened
This is a bit of a challenge.
- Wide flood
- Decent runtime
- AAA

It's a bit of a "pick two"-type of situation, unless it's pretty dim. It might be better to consider a narrower beam from an AAA light, possibly having another EDC light for heavier usage, such as an AA/14500 one, or an 18650 one.

The Lumintop Tool that has already been mentioned is a pretty good keychain EDC, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. Carrying the black version myself. It's pretty worn, but I got the black because I wanted the worn look.

Whatever you land on, please don't put alkalines in it, but consider Lithium L91 primary cells, Eneloop NiMH rechargeables, or LiIon rechargeable (if the light supports it) instead.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whatever you land on, please don't put alkalines in it, but consider Lithium L91 primary cells, Eneloop NiMH rechargeables, or LiIon rechargeable (if the light supports it) instead.
Make sure the manufacturer says Li-Ion are OK. You will hear lots of people say that they have tried 10440s in their light, like the Lumintop Tools. With most AAA lights they will light up, and with more output than with a 1.5v cell. The problem is that using a 10440 is putting a good deal of strain on the electronics of the driver, which sooner or later will fail. Most of the time the failure mode will be to only do direct drive with the 10440, and thus nothing with a primary cell. Sometimes the magic blue smoke gets out and it just fails totally. Even if the driver doesn't just quit, the extra voltage is driving the LED harder than it should, and caused premature aging. If you are not sure, stick with NiMH or L91 cells.

Survivor711

Newly Enlightened
I have found several. Fenix and Olight have good 'Keychain' AAA lights. I like them but if I had to pick one, I might go for the UltraTac K18 AAA Keychain LED Flashlight. The LED is a CREE XP-G2-S4 and they have a version that is USB Chargeable. The Stainless Steel is solid and a bit heavy but won't be damaged as easily as an aluminum light. The light comes with a couple o-rings and Pocket Clip in very nice package.

Latest posts