Sturdy flashlight for festival?

Bright Bird

Newly Enlightened
I am currently in my mid-40s, and haven't been to a festival for quite a few years. But a friend of mine recently went to work at Boomtown, and hearing about her experience has convinced me to go myself next year.

After getting a powerful thrower for dog walking (Olight SR52UT) I was hooked, and I started to become interested in more compact lights. The next light that I bought was an Led Lenser P5.2. I am very aware of the disadvantages of LL torches, but I love the compact size and its zoom mechanism. Because of this, I didn't mind paying £30 for a light with the same output as a £10 light, but I will probably stay away from the more expensive models. After lending my friend the torch for the festival, she said that it had saved her on a number of occasions (e.g. walking through mud and getting stuck, and inside the tent). But she also pointed out that it was almost too bright inside the tent, as it has only got one brightness level.

Obviously, the zoomable head means that it is not waterproof, so I am looking for a non-zoom light that is very sturdy and that will still work if it gets dropped in a puddle or mud. It should run on Li-Ion batteries for a higher output than AA batteries can provide (14500s?), and needs several modes - including a low one that I can use for walking across the campsite without annoying people. No aggressive knurling - it is important that I can easily slip it inside a pocket without the light catching, and I don't want too many nooks and crannies where dirt can get caught. It should be easy to just wipe it clean.

Which brings me to the topic of heat fins - are there high output light in this kind of form factor that come without, or are they necessary for cooling? I'd be happy to get a light that has a heavier body for heat dissipation, if that means having a light with a smooth surface (or a matte one as with the P5.2, or only light knurling).

At the moment I am waiting for a Convoy S2+ with XPL-Hi emitter and a ThorFire VG15S that I ordered from China, as I wanted to try out some of the budget 18650 lights that have had consistently good reviews. However, that format is bigger than what I have in mind. I don't mind if a light that takes two batteries is slightly longer or thicker than the Led Lenser, but not too much - I definitely don't want the diameter of a 4xAA pocket thrower! I would love to try out some of the Olight Baton lights in the future, but for this purpose I prefer something in a slimline format.

Since it will mainly be used outside, it should have a good balance between flood and throw (although I do understand that throw will be limited with a small head). I might to decide to work there in order to earn my festival ticket instead of having to pay for it (which would leave me with more cash to spend on flashlights! :)), so I might need something with slightly more throw than if I was just attending as a visitor. That probably means choosing a light with a head that is larger than the body (as opposed to the 'tube' lights), or that can get a bit of throw by pushing out enough lumens. Inside my tent, I can hang up my Fenix CL25R and leave it on moonlight mode all weekend, and just turn up the brightness whenever I need to.

Since I haven't decided yet how much I want to spend, it would be good to get suggestions in different price categories, so I can make some comparisons.

==================Flashlight Recommendation Checklist================

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

This will be mail-order or Online (China - postage from US to UK is too expensive, and I don't mind waiting a few weeks).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

I don't know yet.

3) Format:

I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:

SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:

LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness).

6) Manufacturer:

I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What power source do you want to use?

I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens or more).

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.

or

Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)

5-150 yards/meters

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

Critical.

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

I don't know.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

I want multiple light levels.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).

or

Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum).

or

Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminium, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).

15) Water resistance

IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)

or

IPX8 (Submersible to greater than 1 meter for 4 hours)

16) Storage conditions

In house (temperature/climate controlled environment).

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

None other than mentioned.

Ideas? Does my perfect festival torch exist?:popcorn:

Bright Bird

Newly Enlightened
I guess my flashaholism is showing - couldn't suppress my curiosity for powerful ultra compact flashlights, and just ordered the polished titanium version of the Olight S mini, together with two 16340 IMR cells.

Not exactly what I was looking for (knurled design & clip instead of smooth; shorter & more chubby), but it looks like such a beauty and I'm sure I'll find a good use for it! :)

However, I'm still not sure about bright and shockproof / waterproof lights in a similar format as the P5.2, so if anyone has a suggestion please let me know. I've been looking at some of the Zebralights which cost more than I was originally prepared to pay - but I'll have a look at some of the reviews, and if one of them turns out to be perfect for my purpose, I might give it a try.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
From your description a Nitecore EA11 (AA/14500 format) or EC11 (16340 format) would work well. Very compact - I wear mine on my belt and am hardly aware that it is there. I have the EA11 and am using a 14500 cell in it. I like the fact that I can use a Li-Ion cell most of the time, but if I need to I can pop into almost any store and pick up a couple AA cells that'll do in a pinch, just at reduced output. It has five modes: Using a 14500 they range from 1 lumen to 900 lumens, along with strobe, beacon, and SOS off to the side. A nice feature is it also has a small red LED as well which would work well for wandering the festival at night without blasting anyone else's eyes or ruining one's night vision. Here in the colonies I would order from Nitecore store, but understand about the postage thing. There is a NitecoreLights Store that is located in Singapore that it might be worth looking into. I dummied up a UK address (10 Downing Street), and the stated shipping rate was $12. I am assuming that since it wasn't specified that is Singapore dollars. Given that assumption an EA11 with shipping would be about 67 Euros. I'm sure you could get one from BangGood or GearBest, but if I am going to spend $60 USD, I want the comfort of a warranty I can trust.

Bright Bird

Newly Enlightened
Can the Nitecore lights be physically locked out by twisting the tailcap? They look interesting, but I've never read about a parasitic drain like that!

Bright Bird

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, they do have a wicked drain, even for Nitecore. But, yes, just a quarter twist of the tail cap and live forever.

That is good to know, as a lack of a physical lockout function would have otherwise been a deal breaker. With the Mini S Baton I can live with it, considering that it can be locked to only turn on in moonlight mode, and for the purposes that I'll be using it for it is extremely unlikely that it will accidentally switch itself on in high mode (through a longer press of the button). The EC11 is too small for me, but the EA11 is on my wishlist, although not for this purpose. I really would like to find something that has got a smoother shape, without all those edges and corners. A little bit of extra length would be nice, as well (the P5.2 is 113mm, and the EA11 just over 2cm shorter). I can understand the desire to make flashlights smaller and smaller, and to get the highest output-to-size ratio that is possible. But surely there must be other flashlight enthusiasts who appreciate different form factors for the same kind of battery, as well as a smoother design?

I was previously looking at Zebralight's SC63w (I always prefer NW), and although it is even shorter than the Nitecore light, I really like the smoothness of it (I read a review somewhere where the reviewer called it 'hideous', and noted that as its main negative point, but I really like it!). It is also IPX8 rated, and the light output is phenomenal for such a small light. The head diameter is the same as the LL, only the body is slightly wider. It takes an 18650 instead of a 14500, but considering the additional capacity without significantly adding to the width, it is something that I don't have an issue with. The only downside is that it is shorter than what I was looking for, but I would still say that so far it is the best contender, and one that I will definitely be buying in the future.

The other light that I have been looking at is the Astrolux S3 (especially the copper SC version). Really nice format - the length comes close to that of the LL, only the head is a few millimetres wider, without any protruding edges, IPX8 rating, and great output. It does have grooves that are cut out for the cooling fins, but that seems inevitable with lights that have got such a high output (as with the NC and ZL). The only worry is that I have read that QC can be a bit hit-or-miss with the Astrolux brand, otherwise I'd be ordering one straight away.

Maybe I should be looking at lights with a lower output (like the 530 lumens of the Mini S). The LL only has 140, so the difference would be significant - probably more than the perceived difference between 530 and 1000 lumens. That would also give me longer run times, although a super compact light that provides nearly an hour of light at close to 1000 lumens (with the possibility of running it for much longer in lower modes) is certainly impressive! But the maximum output is definitely something that I'd be willing to trade in for a larger range of options.

Last edited:

Bright Bird

Newly Enlightened
Just had a look at the S2 Baton and realised that with 4" length it's smaller than I had imagined. Two hours runtime at 550 lumens with a turbo of 950lm is also more than acceptable, so that's another option. I definitely prefer lights that are several times as long as their width.

I've also had a look at the two cheap lights that I'm currently waiting for, and the Convoy S2+ is also smaller than I had pictured it in my mind. At less than 5" length and under 1" diameter, it might be small enough for my purpose. In contrast, the Thorfire VG15s is 2" longer and nearly twice as thick! I guess I'll have to wait until my packages arrive before I can make a final judgement.

The other brand that I've only just become aware of (other than occasionally reading the name) are Lumintop - absolutely beautiful lights! It seems like I'll have to read some reviews... and that's probably pretty much most of my money for the next few months spent!
:oops:

Bright Bird

Newly Enlightened
Just received both the Olight S Mini (delivered within a day), and the ThorFire VG15s (eight days from China to UK). The TF light is smaller than it said in the description - should be about the same size as the Convoy that I'm still waiting for ... not sure how they could have got it so wrong? I'm very happy with the size - it's more compact than I had expected, and it can easily be slipped into a pocket. And the Olight looks amazing - going to try it out now while I'm waiting for some 18650s for the TF to charge.

Since I haven't had any more suggestions from other CPF members, I guess I'll just have to continue conducting my own research, and then try whatever looks like a close match.

Bright Bird

Newly Enlightened
I also received the Convoy S2+ today, with a later delivery - both took exactly eight days from China (TF from an eBay seller, and CS2+ from FastTech), which I'm very pleased with. I expected a delivery time of at least 2-3 weeks.

Both lights look like decent quality, except that I'm not too keen on the squidgy feel of the power button on the VG15s. But both are really bright, and feel comfortable to hold. I especially like the neutral tint of the Convoy light. When I walk my dog later on I'll take them out with me, so I know how they compare with my throwers in real life.

My favourite of all the lights that I've seen is probably the brass Apollo flashlight. It comes pretty close to the shape of the LL (with a thin body, and a larger head) and a smooth shape without all the harsh edges that are nowadays common on flashlights. If I could get something similar, but with a higher powered driver that can be driven by a 14500 cell, I'd be all-in.