• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

S10R Baton III vs. S1R Baton Turbo S

six1101

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a new flashlight to EDC and I think I've decided on one of these two small Olights. I like how bright they are for the size, and I love the fact that I can recharge them. However, I'm pretty new to the flashlight world and kind of confused about the differences between these two lights. Could someone help me choose?

jb509

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a new flashlight to EDC and I think I've decided on one of these two small Olights. I like how bright they are for the size, and I love the fact that I can recharge them. However, I'm pretty new to the flashlight world and kind of confused about the differences between these two lights. Could someone help me choose?

I will pick the S1R Baton Turbo S. The S10R Baton III is like an older version of the S1R Baton Turbo S. According to specification the dimension and weight is very similar and I would say the S1R charging system is way more compact and portable. The S1R Baton is also brighter on Turbo mode. Cost different is only $5.

S1R Baton Turbo S for sure.

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
perhaps the following table might help a bit...

RraSg9.jpg

if must choose one between the two, I'm personally leaning towards S1R Turbo S... however, if given wider choices, neither... but don't listen to me tho... coz I'm bias towards tough, reliable and durable CR123A-size lights... the likes of Elzetta and such... :whistle:

maukka

Enlightened
The S1R Turbo S has nicer beam color quality and the magnetic USB charger is handier than the dock.

The S10R III has more spill but it's very blue.

Not much difference in throw, but the S1R hotspot is much larger with pretty much no spill.

VUCxfqJ.gif

six1101

Newly Enlightened
perhaps the following table might help a bit...

if must choose one between the two, I'm personally leaning towards S1R Turbo S... however, if given wider choices, neither... but don't listen to me tho... coz I'm bias towards tough, reliable and durable CR123A-size lights... the likes of Elzetta and such... :whistle:

Thank you! This chart is super helpful, though the gif below makes it seem like there's more difference in the beams than the chart lets on. Otherwise, they're pretty similar lights. Are there features that I would be missing by not going to something like the Elzetta, or is it just reliability? I'm not usually roughing it, but I would hate for the light not to work when I need it.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Your post is more about Malkoff lights, which is sort of off topic for this thread.

Bi;;

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
... though the gif below makes it seem like there's more difference in the beams than the chart lets on...
indeed, the reflector beam profile on S10R III has a bit more throw and the spills is sometimes desirable (more coverage area). S1R Turbo S on the other hand has a much bigger spot of beam (not to mention much brighter with the 900 lumens mode) with no side spills. one thing to note on the S10R III tho, the design of the reflector doesn't seems to perfectly match the SST-40 LED, a few of us was getting some weird pattern in the middle of the hot spot (some shadowy lines) and the CW tint of this SST-40 leaves a lot to be desired.

my bias has less to do with roughing it/them, it's my personal experience of testing and using Olight's EDC range and design choices they make, from switching to power-source, etc. I have an old Olight M20 that still works to date and I believe will continue to work for years to come (although the LED is very dated)... the quality and built of this M20 is on-par with, if not better than other quality manufacturers' lights. :grin2:

six1101

Newly Enlightened
....one thing to note on the S10R III tho, the design of the reflector doesn't seems to perfectly match the SST-40 LED, a few of us was getting some weird pattern in the middle of the hot spot (some shadowy lines) and the CW tint of this SST-40 leaves a lot to be desired...

This is a little concerning. I'll probably end up going for the S1R.

I'd be curious about other brands, but none see to have the great recharging that Olight has, which makes a pretty big difference for me.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amazon sent me an advertising email about:

"Olight S1R Turbo S rechargeable 900 Lumens CREE XP-L LED Flashlight... "

Is this really a thing? Neutral white available?

I don't see anything on the Olight website.

*edit* Battery Junction has the S1R Turbo S with an XM-L2 and doesn't say the color temperature.

I feel like I never really liked the XM-L series and the (Neutral more than cold) XP-L's give me the impression of a much higher quality light.

Last edited: