Battery recommendations for new Zebralight

hkbladelawhk

Newly Enlightened
So I've been a Surefire carrier (e2d ultra) and Streamlight Carrier (microstream) for a long time now. I recently picked up a ZL H600 for a caving trip (and ironically it died in the cave, I swapped it out and the new one is working wonderfully now. So wonderful in fact that I ended up buying the sc600 mkIII to replace the streamlight AA with a 2 hr, 45 lm as my EDC. I want to say on avg, I might use the light a minimum of once a week, and a max of 2-3 times a day. Wide range. Batteries I ended up picking up were the EBL's (with the EBL charger) based on the feedback on Amazon and wirecutter for output. Now that I'm reading less than stellar things about the EBL's on CPF, and I've read through the battery sections. I'm still having a hard time picking a better battery I can use for my headlamp and new EDC (which comes in tomorrow, yay!) that won't leave me with a dead light if I don't use it for a month or three. Any feedback would be excellent. Thank you!

milehigher

Newly Enlightened
Re: New Zebralight Owner

I use the orbtronic batteries so far never had a bad one ,charge them in a nitecore 4 bay .

terjee

Enlightened

Picked up one SC600W MkIII just yesterday myself. Congrats, I think you made an excellent choice! :)

There are a few things to be aware of wrt. batteries though, in this light. You need short high-drain batteries, flat top.

Batteries like Orbtronic and Keeppower are highly recommended in general, but they're longer protected cells, won't fit, and can be damaged if you try (Disclaimer: I did not check their entire lineup before commenting).

For this light, my strongest recommendation would probably be a VTC6-battery. It's high capacity, unprotected, flat-top, and fairly short.

Note that the battery won't be unprotected in the light, it'll just be protected by the electronics in the light, rather than in the battery itself.

I ordered 4x VTC6 to go with mine, and a ZL headlamp. Will run those for a while, and then add some more assuming I'm happy.

TCY

Enlightened

Panasonic/Sanyo NCR18650GA, Samsung IMR18650 30Q, Sony's VTC-5/6, can't go wrong with these.

Jose Marin

Enlightened

You can pick up a flat top panasonic ga on their website for a decent price too

mightysparrow

Enlightened

Zebralight often has sales on their flat top Panasonic NCR18650GA cells, and you can get them at a good price elsewhere, also.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast

Maybe change the title of the thread. It's deceiving because it is about batteries and not Zebralight. Then you would probably get better replies if titled more accurately.

Keitho

Enlightened

Congrats on the Zebralight :party:. Welcome to what may become an addiction...I just picked up yet another ZL, and got some more 18650GA's for $6.99 each on their website (USA customers only, apparently).

archimedes

Flashaholic
I'm still having a hard time picking a better battery I can use for my headlamp and new EDC (which comes in tomorrow, yay!) that won't leave me with a dead light if I don't use it for a month or three....

Maybe change the title of the thread. It's deceiving because it is about batteries and not Zebralight. Then you would probably get better replies if titled more accurately.

Yes, thread title was edited ... and this thread will soon be moved to the Batteries subforum, too ;)

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic

Panasonic/Sanyo NCR18650GA, Samsung IMR18650 30Q, Sony's VTC-5/6, can't go wrong with these.

+1, thats pretty much the exact cell/s i use myself. Having a few spare vtc5, they have become part of the chosen cells. But if i was buying specific, i would aim at 3000mah or more..................simply for just having a bit more in the tank. The GA do make a great do it all cell being 10a and 3500mah. vtc6 also is a solid choice followed very closely by the 30Q.

hkbladelawhk

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I've ordered some Orbtronic flat top unprotected, which arrives today. The capacity drew me to them! Along with the recommended charger you guys posted about!